[Home Depot] Google Nest Temperature Sensor (3-Pack), $112.50

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2020 5:39 pm
[OP]
Jan 10, 2017
159 posts
94 upvotes

[Home Depot] Google Nest Temperature Sensor (3-Pack), $112.50

It's a warm deal as these don't seem to be moving a lot in price, its cemented at $125 Cndn for the longest time. Deal is a simple price match with Canadian Tire who advertises this at $124.99.

Home Depot, and a lot of other places, sell these at $125. The one cent price diff triggers the 10% discount of $12.50 for a total price of $112.50 and it qualifies for free shipping as HD doesn't carry them in store.

Home Depot URL
Canadian Tire URL

Only caveat is that it seems like their online chat is either understaffed or doesn't work properly as at times it can take FOREVER for someone to respond. I just open a window and wait until I hear that chat pop sound from their agent responding - last time it took a good 20min for them to respond. Once you are talking to someone the whole process is pretty quick.
20 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
1263 posts
2048 upvotes
Toronto
That's a good little trick.

I wonder if you could combine this with any kind of coupon. Like one of those $10 off $100 ones.

I personally bought a 3-pack from Lowe's using a $10 off coupon from signing up to their newsletter. So I bought it for $115 about half a year ago.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2003
1361 posts
1060 upvotes
Toronto
I was able to get them earlier with the costco coupon.
Oct 21, 2009
639 posts
552 upvotes
Skilas wrote: That's a good little trick.

I wonder if you could combine this with any kind of coupon. Like one of those $10 off $100 ones.

I personally bought a 3-pack from Lowe's using a $10 off coupon from signing up to their newsletter. So I bought it for $115 about half a year ago.
Yes, I bieve the $10 off is stackable
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1666 posts
340 upvotes
I’m curious with these. What’s the benefit of having these vs a thermometer in several rooms? Until hvac units can direct heat/cooling to individual rooms aren’t these kind of a gimmick?
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2017
1575 posts
1013 upvotes
Calgary
mathewvc wrote: I’m curious with these. What’s the benefit of having these vs a thermometer in several rooms? Until hvac units can direct heat/cooling to individual rooms aren’t these kind of a gimmick?
It doesn’t work as well as it could but I have it cycle back and forth between the main unit and one in another room.
I find one room gets too hot and the other too cold.
By cycling back and forth it triggers my fans on to blend the temps.

However, I wish I could switch back and forth more often.
It only lets you do 4 blocks of time and they aren’t even customizable.
Oct 6, 2018
215 posts
234 upvotes
keddie2 wrote: Home Depot, and a lot of other places, sell these at $125. The one cent price diff triggers the 10% discount of $12.50 for a total price of $112.50 and it qualifies for free shipping as HD doesn't carry them in store.
It's people like you who make the stores change their price match policies each year. Making a claim for 1 cent is just ridiculous.
Nov 3, 2005
298 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto
I bought a 3 pack last year and returned them... Not customizable and no temperature averaging.
Dec 1, 2009
262 posts
162 upvotes
Ottawa
This is absolutely useless for most families. Don't waste your money.
[OP]
Jan 10, 2017
159 posts
94 upvotes
Chipppy wrote: It's people like you who make the stores change their price match policies each year. Making a claim for 1 cent is just ridiculous.
You might be right. Checking their stock they dropped about 0.02c (0.01%) after I posted this... I am sure everyone got called into the war room to address the crisis up north. While this plays out, I will go back to sipping my water with plastic straws - I'd rather be known as the guy who brought down the turtles, had a traumatic event when they snapped at me while I was trying to pickup a penny off the ocean floor.
[OP]
Jan 10, 2017
159 posts
94 upvotes
Suthek wrote: It doesn’t work as well as it could but I have it cycle back and forth between the main unit and one in another room.
I find one room gets too hot and the other too cold.
By cycling back and forth it triggers my fans on to blend the temps.

However, I wish I could switch back and forth more often.
It only lets you do 4 blocks of time and they aren’t even customizable.
The lack of customization seems to be the biggest complaint - I am hoping to achieve the same you've done, blend at least the temp a bit. Would have also been nice if they also added a presence awareness into the sensors though I've seen some people talk about using the nest protect to tie into the system.
Jul 21, 2005
239 posts
133 upvotes
Kitchener
Not sure why the down votes. I’ve never seen this go on sale, good trick to bring the price down.

I’ve been waiting for this to go on sale for a while now. I have a single sensor in our nursery and wanted to add more to the rest of the bedrooms (4 in total)

I’m on a corner lot with a ton of windows, the temperature fluctuates a lot in each room throughout the day as we get sun from rise to set

Yea it’s not fully customizable and has only 4 blocks of time but you can still manually set it to heat/cool off that sensor whenever you want

I’m always watching the temperatures in the house so it’s great to get further visibility and control
Something something dark side...
Mar 15, 2005
581 posts
364 upvotes
These were nest's attempt to do what echobee does with the remote sensors.

I bought a 3 pack last year during our renovations and totally forgot about them until now.

Nest is missing out on some opportunities, it wouldn't take much to incorporate this kind of functionality into other products of theirs like the nest protects or Google home or WiFi products
Jul 21, 2005
239 posts
133 upvotes
Kitchener
Chipppy wrote: It's people like you who make the stores change their price match policies each year. Making a claim for 1 cent is just ridiculous.
Isn’t this basically RFD in a nutshell? Funny that you’re shaking your finger at the op about this but people post things like this all the time
Something something dark side...
[OP]
Jan 10, 2017
159 posts
94 upvotes
The ecobee wasn’t without its faults - I moved from their thermostat to the Nest. One sensor I could never keep connected and it was maybe ten feet away.

Google is definitely missing out on offering better integration esp now that they pulled back on 3rd party integrations.