Hot Deals

[Home Depot] Google Nest Wi-Fi Router with Point (2-Pack) 299.00 ($50 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2020 1:36 pm
[OP]
Aug 26, 2018
50 posts
88 upvotes
Winnipeg

[Home Depot] Google Nest Wi-Fi Router with Point (2-Pack) 299.00 ($50 off)

$50 off Google Nest Wifi Router and one point. This seems to go on sale from time to time. People have been concerned about a recent firmware update that seems to have slowed speeds for some. No ethernet backhaul either. In saying this, I had problems with speed and wifi coverage in a two storey home and I am now getting blazing speeds fully covering the house and the yard now - love it. Also, can group together items into groups and pause wifi (parental controls).
15 replies
Nov 13, 2003
167 posts
36 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I bought the 2 pack (Router x2) from amazon last month when it was available, and I have no speed or range problem in my 3700 sqft home (no Ethernet backhaul) with the latest firmware. The router range is better than my stock Telus Actiontec router. I only have a 150Mbps service though. Unconfirmed, but I anticipated bottlenecks if I get above 300Mbps.

The iOS app for usage accounting is nice (haven’t tried Android but can’t be worse). Parental control (access restriction and censoring) is easy to use. Don’t expect to be able to configure every knobs. The router/point is pretty small too, so you can almost put it anywhere as long as there’s a socket around.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
3739 posts
1755 upvotes
+1 Good price and well reviewed for simplicity.

but I can hear the Ubitiqi fanboi's streaming in now...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2005
8217 posts
580 upvotes
All the data collection google is doing on my phone stops me from getting this.
Heatware: 36-0-0
Apr 22, 2018
29 posts
24 upvotes
DDR wrote: I bought the 2 pack (Router x2) from amazon last month when it was available, and I have no speed or range problem in my 3700 sqft home (no Ethernet backhaul) with the latest firmware. The router range is better than my stock Telus Actiontec router. I only have a 150Mbps service though. Unconfirmed, but I anticipated bottlenecks if I get above 300Mbps.

The iOS app for usage accounting is nice (haven’t tried Android but can’t be worse). Parental control (access restriction and censoring) is easy to use. Don’t expect to be able to configure every knobs. The router/point is pretty small too, so you can almost put it anywhere as long as there’s a socket around.
Not sure if it will bottle neck above 300 as I have 300 with Telus, these are my speeds
Images
  • Screenshot_20200802_042733_com.google.android.apps.access.wifi.consumer.jpg
Jan 1, 2018
43 posts
19 upvotes
I've been looking to improve wifi in my 2 story + basement home. I was looking at the TP DECO M5 3 pack as an option. Is this better? I guess this is more future proofed.
Dec 10, 2005
687 posts
116 upvotes
GTA
Does this work with the old google mesh pods?
[OP]
Aug 26, 2018
50 posts
88 upvotes
Winnipeg
KevinT277396 wrote: I've been looking to improve wifi in my 2 story + basement home. I was looking at the TP DECO M5 3 pack as an option. Is this better? I guess this is more future proofed.
While I love it, not sure sure it's future proofed entirely. Newer and better routers offer wifi-6. This (and I believe the M5) are only wifi-5. In saying this, I really don't know that I or many would notice a huge difference.
[OP]
Aug 26, 2018
50 posts
88 upvotes
Winnipeg
VTECMAN wrote: Does this work with the old google mesh pods?
If you're talking about the v1 of google wifi, then yes. you can mix and match.
Mar 8, 2004
812 posts
314 upvotes
Brampton
Installed a set of 4 at my families house for them. Worked great for a few days and then after the updates, Speeds would top out at a measly 26.2 Mbps. Couldn’t figure out what was capping it. 100% setup through the app is a double edged sword. Good for simplicity. Impossible to troubleshoot.

Ultimately returned the entire set and got them the Netgear Orbi RBK50. Now they have 100mbps (full line speed) everywhere in the house. Has an easy to use app like google but also offers a full web interface for more advanced users.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
1907 posts
3872 upvotes
Despite not being super fast, they are reliable, at least for me.

Bought a system for my parents at the beginning of 2017, and it has been rock solid, I might have had to fix it for them a few times over the 4 years they owned it. One time I was in Asia and they messaged me in the middle of the night saying their internet was down (I actually got an alert telling me it was down but I didn't hear it). I reset the router from the app half a world away and it was good to go.

If you aren't technical this is the way to go IMO.
May 27, 2007
123 posts
68 upvotes
British Columbia
VTECMAN wrote: Does this work with the old google mesh pods?
Yes, I installed the Google Nest router with my old Google Wifi pods last month - pretty straight forward set up as long as you follow the install steps and seeing faster and better coverage.
Jan 1, 2018
43 posts
19 upvotes
How fast do these things go? Like do we really need internet to go faster than 500mb or 1gb lol.

Whats the difference with wifi 5 and wifi 6?

If it's just ridiculously fast speed im not thatttt worried. When are wifi 6 mesh systems supposed to come out?
Nov 9, 2013
103 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
I have a 940 up and down internet service, will this setup be sufficient?
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
1965 posts
710 upvotes
Toronto
KevinT277396 wrote: How fast do these things go? Like do we really need internet to go faster than 500mb or 1gb lol.

Whats the difference with wifi 5 and wifi 6?

If it's just ridiculously fast speed im not thatttt worried. When are wifi 6 mesh systems supposed to come out?
Wifi6 has improvements for speed and allows many more devices to operate without interfering with each other. Having said that wifi6 requires that both the access points and connecting devices support wifi6.

All wifi6 routers/aps are backwards compatible with older wifi standards but they will just operate at the older standards. In order to benefit from wifi6 both the router/access point and connecting devices need to support wifi6..

So no point in wifi6 yet because very few devices support it. Also wifi6 may have worse range and this require more access points.. it'll be a few years yet before wifi6 really takes off..