Expired Hot Deals

Home Depot

[HD] $29.97 Klein Tools 2-Piece Non-Contact Voltage Tester with Laser Pointer and GFCI Outlet Tester Tool Set

[OP]
Feb 17, 2007
101 posts
40 upvotes
Vancouver

[Home Depot] [HD] $29.97 Klein Tools 2-Piece Non-Contact Voltage Tester with Laser Pointer and GFCI Outlet Tester Tool Set

I couldn't find it on RFD. Hopefully it is not a repost.

I stumbled across this during my search. The Klein NCVT5A usually goes for more I think. Homedepot.com sells them for $28 USD. The regular tic tester with plug tester kit goes for $29 at local Home Depot. I think it's a pretty good price as this tic tester comes with a laser pointer. Probably good for someone running jobs and showing their workers where to install stuff.

It is a laser "pointer". You will not be able to detect voltage by pointing the laser to a plug. When I was inside my local Home Depot, the staff had a hard time finding it on the floor. I had to order online and went back for in-store pick up.

It seems like it is available online so I guess it is nation wide? Anyway, have fun.
Images
  • 20210314_141352.jpg
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
3449 posts
2928 upvotes
BC
Is this package better than the HH 3 tools version posted earlier?
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2443 posts
3378 upvotes
The voltage tester with a flashlight is much more useful.
[OP]
Feb 17, 2007
101 posts
40 upvotes
Vancouver
Is this package better than the HH 3 tools version posted earlier?
I think the internal part of the tester is the same with some bells and whistles. No meter though. The other one with meter is YMMV with price matching.
The voltage tester with a flashlight is much more useful.
I always have a flash light and a head lamp on me so this is more usable for me. At least I can reduce the time that I need to use my tape measure to point at something. lol.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
3129 posts
374 upvotes
I bought something similar and it would beep/flash if there is ANY electricity at all. It would beep as soon as I go remotely close to a switch or anything electrical. So I had a hard time telling which wire is HOT without pulling out my multimeter
I saw on youtube there are ones that beep upon contact with a wire to determine which wire is hot
is this one of those? is it called 'contact voltage tester'?
Dec 26, 2007
453 posts
275 upvotes
Montreal
philelmo wrote: I bought something similar and it would beep/flash if there is ANY electricity at all. It would beep as soon as I go remotely close to a switch or anything electrical. So I had a hard time telling which wire is HOT without pulling out my multimeter
I saw on youtube there are ones that beep upon contact with a wire to determine which wire is hot
It's a Non-Contact Voltage Tester. It has 2 sensitivity modes, and beeps and changes led colour depending on current strength and proximity, kind of like a Ghostbusters P.K.E. Meter. Ghost

Jan 12, 2017
35 posts
34 upvotes
13inches wrote: The voltage tester with a flashlight is much more useful.
Pros use the green light as a flashlight ;)
Sep 4, 2020
29 posts
21 upvotes
As a professional electrician, I can tell you Klein non contact testers aren't very good. They are better then they use to be and I know pros that use them but I would never suggest anyone buy them. The sensitivity needs work and their quality control is bad. The only two non contact testers worth buying are the fluke 1ac or the fluke 2ac. Non contact testers that aren't 100% accurate aren't worth 1 cent IMO. A good pair of strippers is $20 and a good pair of pliers is $70. A cheap non contact tester will cost me more eventually.

The deal with the multimeter is okay as it's a good deal for just the multimeter and GFI tester.
Sep 4, 2020
29 posts
21 upvotes
philelmo wrote: I bought something similar and it would beep/flash if there is ANY electricity at all. It would beep as soon as I go remotely close to a switch or anything electrical. So I had a hard time telling which wire is HOT without pulling out my multimeter
In my experience the only non contact testers that work the way you describe are the fluke ac1 and ac2. You can buy them for around $40.

The fluke testers have a min voltage threshold of 90V, so induced voltages in wires that aren't hot don't set it off.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
10385 posts
2948 upvotes
Montreal, QC
The Klein tool works pretty good, I had a Uni-T NCV and that one was crap
Aug 15, 2007
610 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto
drcujo wrote: As a professional electrician, I can tell you Klein non contact testers aren't very good. They are better then they use to be and I know pros that use them but I would never suggest anyone buy them. The sensitivity needs work and their quality control is bad. The only two non contact testers worth buying are the fluke 1ac or the fluke 2ac. Non contact testers that aren't 100% accurate aren't worth 1 cent IMO. A good pair of strippers is $20 and a good pair of pliers is $70. A cheap non contact tester will cost me more eventually.

The deal with the multimeter is okay as it's a good deal for just the multimeter and GFI tester.
I've heard good things about the flukes from guys in the field, but I've never had problems with my Klein, other than it turning on randomly in my pocket (Power button seems to be changed in this new version, which is good). I'll occasionally get a false positive, but if I hold it to the wire for long enough, and I can manage to get enough separation from surrounding wires, it's usually pretty clear by the tone what's hot and what isn't.

That being said, I never understand why people say they're worried about blowing pliers/strippers because of these things. Even with my garbage Ideal NCVT, I've never once got a false negative. Provided that the battery is good and you test on a known live circuit as instructed first, I don't see the big concern?