HDX 16x25x1 MERV 8 Pleated Furnace Filter (3-Pack), $10.87

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2022 11:46 am
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
22711 posts
4331 upvotes
Niagara Falls
RedRooster wrote: I have a feeling asking hvac guys about furnace filters is the same as asking mechanics about engine oils. They're all fine, just change it often.
I love the furnace filter threads. So much information thrown at us. I swear at some point it gets down to thread counts or some other black magic. haha.

These are good enough for me. I just change the filter once a month, and buy a few packs whenever they go on sale.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
3277 posts
3227 upvotes
Whitby
Furnace repair guys recommend cheap and change often. Higher end ones just stress out furnace. (Expensive repairs / maintenance)
Nov 26, 2021
35 posts
130 upvotes
GTA
Cheaper ones like 300 MPR with low pleat counts pose a higher risk of burning out your furnace motor due to higher pressure drop.

https://www.iallergy.com/pages/compare- ... te-filters

This is just for filtrete brand, the lowest pressure drop occurs with the 1900 MPR filter due to higher pleat count

But there is much more to this, I am no expert haha. I am sure we can go on and on about this, but the above is what I go by personally.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
10697 posts
4059 upvotes
QaneTime wrote: Cheaper ones like 300 MPR with low pleat counts pose a higher risk of burning out your furnace motor due to higher pressure drop.

https://www.iallergy.com/pages/compare- ... te-filters

This is just for filtrete brand, the lowest pressure drop occurs with the 1900 MPR filter due to higher pleat count

But there is much more to this, I am no expert haha. I am sure we can go on and on about this, but the above is what I go by personally.
I would take that with a big grain of salt. There are numerous threads on RFD discussing furnace filters and ratings, I'll stick with my MERV 11 that I get from furnancefilters.ca
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
4999 posts
5785 upvotes
GTA
People need to check what MERV filter is recommended for their furnace and use that one or a bit lower but not any higher. MERV 8 is the recommended filter for my 17 year old furnace. I believe newer furnaces can use MERV 11 with no issues, but you need to check. I use MERV 8 for 3 seasons and MERV 6 in the summer since their isn't enough air flow for the AC with my duct layout with the higher MERV. Being less that $4 each I have no problem with changing them every 300 runtime hours which is on the more frequent side. At 8 filters it costs me $32 a year which costs less than 2 of those 1500 (MERV 12) filters that people buy at Costco.
Last edited by tew on Dec 28th, 2021 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
4869 posts
4537 upvotes
No Bum Deals
tew wrote: I use MERV 8 for 3 seasons and MERV 6 in the summer since their isn't enough air flow for the AC with my duct layout with the higher MERV.
Same, more for efficiency. Winking Face

The higher the MERV the less efficient your furnace becomes, heat or cool. You have to find the right balance.
Especially with fuel prices the way they are now.

A smart thermostat can tell you just the right time to change them.
I need ammunition, not a ride.

©Zelensky 2022
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16548 posts
5027 upvotes
Markham
Still same price at the moment.
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Oct 30, 2019
544 posts
1218 upvotes
Langley, BC
I use merv 8, change every 2 to 3 months
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
2529 posts
2814 upvotes
I have a germ guardian air purifier tower, and their filter replacements are a rip off. There wouldn't be an issue if I cut these filters down to size and use it in my air purifier now would it?
Oct 14, 2017
357 posts
215 upvotes
London
Solid. It’s time to restock! Thanks OP. Btw I was using a high MERV filter when I moved into my newer home. Choked my furnace and now using lower MERV and replacing monthly. No issues since.
Dec 15, 2017
752 posts
849 upvotes
shinyredbike wrote: Thanks OP. I bought 4.

Had trouble checking out, kept getting an error to try again later.

Tried a different credit card, browser even changed quantities and still didn't work. Got me all paranoid, thought my cards were blocked or my browser was compromised.

Decided to create an account and that was the obstacle that prevented my transaction from being processed.
HD online order has never worked for me, just tried to create an account and still doesnt work.
Jan 10, 2005
486 posts
202 upvotes
I'm a MERV11 advocate, but I have very recent equipment. It's a good balance of flow/dust removal/durability, especially if your furnace has a variable speed ECM blower motor.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
22351 posts
7591 upvotes
The guy who fixed my furnace a couple months back recommended Merv 6 for that particular unit. Too bad both CT and HD no longer seem to carry them. I use the 8s and swap them at the beginning of the month. They are cheap enough at this price point, so no point in keeping them longer. I might get the air conditioner add on this spring but haven't decided yet. Doing well enough in the summer with a portable air conditioner but it's a pain to have to move it around. Decisions, decisions...
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2012
1131 posts
406 upvotes
Cambridge
Was able to order 1 qty with free shipping as well.
Sep 17, 2011
34 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
tew wrote: People need to check what MERV filter is recommended for their furnace and use that one or a bit lower but not any higher. MERV 8 is the recommended filter for my 17 year old furnace. I believe newer furnaces can use MERV 11 with no issues, but you need to check. I use MERV 8 for 3 seasons and MERV 6 in the summer since their isn't enough air flow for the AC with my duct layout with the higher MERV. Being less that $4 each I have no problem with changing them every 300 runtime hours which is on the more frequent side. At 8 filters it costs me $32 a year which costs less than 2 of those 1500 (MERV 12) filters that people buy at Costco.
Yes, people should definitely check they need. I purchased a house last year with a 10 year old high efficiency furnace and the 1" thick MERV 8 filter was too restricting. After a month the filter was concave... So much for all those packs I picked up at BF Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
4999 posts
5785 upvotes
GTA
chupacabras wrote: Yes, people should definitely check they need. I purchased a house last year with a 10 year old high efficiency furnace and the 1" thick MERV 8 filter was too restricting. After a month the filter was concave... So much for all those packs I picked up at BF Face With Tears Of Joy
I wonder if your furnace fan speed is set too high. A MERV 8 filter shouldn't go concave, maybe get a bit of a warp in the middle.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
4999 posts
5785 upvotes
GTA
DougO wrote: The guy who fixed my furnace a couple months back recommended Merv 6 for that particular unit. Too bad both CT and HD no longer seem to carry them. I use the 8s and swap them at the beginning of the month. They are cheap enough at this price point, so no point in keeping them longer. I might get the air conditioner add on this spring but haven't decided yet. Doing well enough in the summer with a portable air conditioner but it's a pain to have to move it around. Decisions, decisions...
They aren't on sale right now but both CT and HD still have MERV 6. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/basi ... p.html#srp https://www.homedepot.ca/product/hdg-ba ... 1000455189

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)