Expired Hot Deals

[Home Depot] Home Depot - Daylight Adjusting Digital Timer w/ Motion Sensor - $11.96

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2017 11:25 pm
[OP]
Oct 31, 2010
348 posts
694 upvotes
Montreal

[Home Depot] Home Depot - Daylight Adjusting Digital Timer w/ Motion Sensor - $11.96

SKU 1000718784

I've seen it on sale for the past few months at ~$25. I think it was listed $40 regularly.
Images
  • 2017-10-01 14.49.27.jpg
17 replies
Deal Addict
May 24, 2004
2068 posts
294 upvotes
Installs like a typical light switch. Requires line, neutral, and ground. Motion sensor part is wireless and requires pairing once the switch is hardwired in. 3xAA required for motion sensor.

Sensor range is quite limited, within 10 or so feet from what I experienced and it also has a 2 to 3 second delay before triggering. Not a deal breaker, but I thought it's worth mentioning.
Last edited by baymoe on Oct 1st, 2017 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 9, 2016
211 posts
107 upvotes
Can I use this outdoor on my porch? Or if indoor only what are some practical uses
Jun 18, 2011
289 posts
185 upvotes
TORONTO
Is the sensor waterproof and how well do AA batteries hold up in winter? Also, what is the wifi range between the switch and the motion sensor? With only 10 ft range and a 2-3 sec I'm thinking the motion sensor would have to be placed somewhere at the bottom of the steps to the front porch. People walk at 2ft/sec so if placed at bottom of the steps, lights will turn on 4-6 feet prior to arriving to the first step.
Jun 11, 2007
90 posts
40 upvotes
Edmonton
I installed the sensor above the garage door and seems it is not sensing the vehicle coming but it is sensing while I go in front of sensor though. The instructions leaflet also mentioned that the sensor detect human or animal by their body heat or something. Just a word of caution if you wanting to install it to operate garage lights. Also it requires 3xAA not 3xAAA.
Installtion and setup was easy too.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
1651 posts
1003 upvotes
Ottawa
SO sounds like it cheaper to get this and not pair the motion sensor for a front porch light that I just want to come on and off with the rising/setting of the sun. Cause those alone are $50 at homedepot
May 14, 2008
404 posts
161 upvotes
How many watts? I would like to put them in my garage which have 4 x 6ft fluorescent tubes.
Never surf the web unarmed!
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1454 upvotes
Richmond
el_pablo wrote: How many watts? I would like to put them in my garage which have 4 x 6ft fluorescent tubes.
Sometimes these switches don't work with fluorescent lights - they usually specify "resistive load". Check the specs before you install it.

Most passive-infrared motion sensors should detect a car with a hot engine. The sensor sees thermal infrared radiation over a fairly wide range, usually anything beyond 5 micrometers wavelength (humans peak around 10 micrometers). See a typical black-body radiation chart to convert temperature to wavelength, but keep in mind that the thermal infrared output of a warm object is always a wide-ranging bell curve of thermal infrared wavelengths. The motion sensors are calibrated to respond to approximately the amount of thermal infrared that a human being would put out at a range of around 15 or 20 ft. They have a single sensor with a fractal lens over it that breaks the field of view up into hundreds of fragments, so that as you move through the field of view it causes the image on the sensor to flicker and trigger motion detection. A car with a hot engine should definitely put out enough thermal IR in the right band to trigger a motion detector. Most small animals don't trigger it simply because they are too small and wouldn't put out enough thermal IR unless they were close to the sensor.

But I have an outdoor light with a motion sensor over my driveway, and I know that it only detects my car pulling in sometimes. I think the issue is that if I have been driving down the street with no stops in the winter, the outside of the car is quite cold due to air cooling, and I would have to stop in the driveway for a minute for the heat of the engine to work its way to the outside again and be noticed by the sensor.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
9534 posts
2257 upvotes
Montreal, QC
chriscabob wrote: SO sounds like it cheaper to get this and not pair the motion sensor for a front porch light that I just want to come on and off with the rising/setting of the sun. Cause those alone are $50 at homedepot
May as well get a WIFI switch like the TP-Link ones when it's on sale if that's what you want
Sep 29, 2012
189 posts
28 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks, I was looking for one to use in my garage to turn the lights on when I'm in there.
Sep 5, 2008
33 posts
4 upvotes
Edmonton
Does anyone know of any other brand or product that is similar to this. I saw this, but not sure about the brand and I was looking for other brands, but I that offers the same function, but I cannot anything else with a motion sensor that can trigger on a light switch.
Jul 27, 2017
50 posts
38 upvotes
This looks pretty interesting. I currently use a dusk till dawn light bulb that comes with a sensor on my porch. However, they are kind of expensive about $12 each. This maybe worth a try!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
5369 posts
519 upvotes
Based on the package/description, it looks like this is rated for indoor use. (assuming that applies to the motion sensor component as well)
Deal Addict
May 24, 2004
2068 posts
294 upvotes
Use an occupancy light switch. It should be far more reliable as well.