[Home Depot] Home Depot: Weber Original Red Kettle 22-inch charcoal grill $178

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2018 11:55 am
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20930 posts
3451 upvotes
YUL
BinaryJay wrote: Charcoal BBQ is a pain in the ass, to the point most people won't even use it nearly as much as it they had a gas grill.

Contrary to popular belief heat of different kinds does not have a taste. A gas grill with stainless steel 'flavourizer' bars will vaporize the drippings the same as charcoal... but it's mostly all in people's heads that burning food with a different heat source is so superior.

A garbage cheap gas grill can obviously be bad, but it's not the gas, it's temperature variation which is easier to be uniform even in a garbage charcoal grill.

IMO the best grill is a nice natural gas one that you just turn on and use and then turn off and eat.
Your scientific claims here show you know nothing about charcoal grilling. To MOST people, yes its a PITA and definitely not convenient, but to those who enjoy cooking, charcoal is a different world. If you know what you're doing, charcoal is much better, especially for taste. Sure, it's not for everyone, but for those who enjoy food, prep and flavor, propane or NG does not come close. I have a Weber propane grill and a Kettle, and the Kettle gets 90% of my BBQing.
Jul 31, 2008
382 posts
187 upvotes
Markham
najibs wrote: Your scientific claims here show you know nothing about charcoal grilling. To MOST people, yes its a PITA and definitely not convenient, but to those who enjoy cooking, charcoal is a different world. If you know what you're doing, charcoal is much better, especially for taste. Sure, it's not for everyone, but for those who enjoy food, prep and flavor, propane or NG does not come close. I have a Weber propane grill and a Kettle, and the Kettle gets 90% of my BBQing.
They aren't his claims. He is basically plagiarizing content:
https://www.wired.com/2013/07/gas-grill ... -charcoal/

People do tend to cook differently with charcoal. I actually find charcoal cleaner than gas as my grill gets dumped and cleaned every time.
Most gas barbecues tend to accumulate and pick up crap over time (including mice).

The results really do speak for themselves though. If he thinks gas is best, more power to him. Let's see his brisket though. :-)
Nov 13, 2007
483 posts
230 upvotes
Montreal
hoody123 wrote: Going to have to partially disagree with you on this one. I'll agree that lump has the capacity to burn hotter, but it doesn't <necessarily> burn faster. Assuming you're cooking in a vessel that can control airflow (IE a kettle like this or a kamado) lump burns extremely slowly. Because the amount of oxygen available will restrict the burn rate lump is always my go-to fuel regardless of whether I'm going high heat or low heat. The nicest thing about lump is that it produces a small fraction of the ash that briquettes do.
I'll go even further to say that not all lumps are equal. I've been cooking on my primo oval xl for 4 years now through all seasons, and have burned different types of lump.

My findings are as follows:

1) Ceramic kamados are so efficient that even maple lump burns for a long time. Firebowl full will get me 15+ hours of continuous cooking on low and slow. ~225 to 250deg, with enough lump left over to cook chicken wings or drums at higher temps.

2) my preferred lump, south american hardwood lump (quebracho, Fogo, Kebroak and lots of others) , is so much more dense than our local maple hardwood (maple leaf, basques, royal oak). A full firebox of SA lump im sure will get me 20+ hours of low and slow. Though the good stuff is more expensive than our local lump.

I still have my gasser (broil king signet 90) for about 8 years now and has served me well in the beginning. But ever since charcoal entered my life, the gasser only gets pulled out for when i need extra grill real estate for 15+ people gatherings. Which is about 2 - 3 times a year. At the rate i use the gasser, the propane tank will expire before the propane gets used up.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2273 posts
1769 upvotes
Montreal, QC
If all you have is $200 to spend on a BBQ, then there is no contest. Charcoal is the best flavor. Cheap gas grills are exactly that, cheap and in my opinion, useless.

Now, if you have a decent quality gas grill, then things come closer in my opinion. Now, in my opinion, gas is more convenient. I use mine year round, 3, sometimes 4 times a week, even in mid-winter. Yes, the cast iron grills (to hold the heat), and the smoker box make a huge difference. I always use a pre-soaked piece of maple or apple wood (or hickory chips). This does make a HUGE difference. When I grill a whole chicken (butterflied), on the gas grill, with apple wood for smoke, it takes about an hour (give or take, depending n size), and honestly, there is no big difference between how it tastes on charcoal, vs gas grill.

If you are dealing with LONG, slow cook stuff, then there is no comparison. Charcoal is WAY more convenient, and no need to worry about feeding the smoker box and all, to get that smokey flavor.

So for short daily cooking, a decent gas grill can do a great job with very little difference (if any) than a charcoal grill. For the long slow weekend grill, charcoal all the way. Being Greek, there is no way I'd cook my whole lamb or whole pig in a gas grill. Need that charcoal to get the long smokey, perfect skin crisp on these big boys..

I used to have a cheap gas grill 15 years ago, and there was no way I'd be able to get the same cooking as a charcoal grill can provide. i didn't realize what a difference a better grill can make. I figured a gas grill, is a gas grill and wouldn't make a difference other than more BTU by going to a better grill.
But then after I spent quite a bit more to get a decent grill with a smoker box and solid cast iron grills, I can say that it does come very close and most people would have a hard time knowing the difference.

Just my opinion...
Sep 15, 2011
971 posts
501 upvotes
HUNTSVILLE
ol' dirty ewok wrote: I'll go even further to say that not all lumps are equal. I've been cooking on my primo oval xl for 4 years now through all seasons, and have burned different types of lump.

My findings are as follows:

1) Ceramic kamados are so efficient that even maple lump burns for a long time. Firebowl full will get me 15+ hours of continuous cooking on low and slow. ~225 to 250deg, with enough lump left over to cook chicken wings or drums at higher temps.

2) my preferred lump, south american hardwood lump (quebracho, Fogo, Kebroak and lots of others) , is so much more dense than our local maple hardwood (maple leaf, basques, royal oak). A full firebox of SA lump im sure will get me 20+ hours of low and slow. Though the good stuff is more expensive than our local lump.

I still have my gasser (broil king signet 90) for about 8 years now and has served me well in the beginning. But ever since charcoal entered my life, the gasser only gets pulled out for when i need extra grill real estate for 15+ people gatherings. Which is about 2 - 3 times a year. At the rate i use the gasser, the propane tank will expire before the propane gets used up.
I agree with you. My favourite is (was) the Quebracho, I bought it 4 years ago for $39.99 per 40lb bag DELIVERED! While it was fantastic, there's no way I'm paying the $140ish they want per bag now. Lump from Costco suits me just fine.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1081 posts
534 upvotes
Any concerns that this red Kettle is made in china?
There are lots of reports of paint chip issues with this one, which could lead to rust spots?
THE CHILDREN ARE FINE!!!
May 1, 2007
301 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
LyGuy wrote: Any concerns that this red Kettle is made in china?
There are lots of reports of paint chip issues with this one, which could lead to rust spots?
It has a 10 year warranty on rust.
Jun 2, 2011
61 posts
6 upvotes
I just took the bbq out of the box and yup, the red paint is chipped off top and bottom of the kettle.
Sent pics with registration info, let's see what happens.
Oct 23, 2011
64 posts
23 upvotes
Ottawa
orlandoc1 wrote: I just took the bbq out of the box and yup, the red paint is chipped off top and bottom of the kettle.
Sent pics with registration info, let's see what happens.
So what happened?