• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2018 10:26 pm
[OP]
Feb 3, 2014
218 posts
391 upvotes
Toronto

[Home Depot] Home Depot - Weiser lock Combo at $32.99

Was in market for residential door lock (below $50.00). Found this combo pack! It's NOT on sale but, it is approx. $25 cheaper than other big box stores. Security grade 3. Single dead lock. SMART KEY features :)

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.yuko ... 57070.html

It's a combo pack (Could not find combo pack in some big box stores!)

Same lock combo is available at Lowes etc around $55.00.
https://www.lowes.ca/front-door-handle- ... ukon-combo

Of course, one can use Ebates / Free store delivery and PM.
13 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
17393 posts
6216 upvotes
Is that bright brass in vogue currently, seems out of date to me?
Also it does not say what grade of lock it is or drill resistance or kick resistance.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9960 posts
1836 upvotes
Toronto
Quentin5 wrote: Is that bright brass in vogue currently, seems out of date to me?
Also it does not say what grade of lock it is or drill resistance or kick resistance.
I wouldn't think you'd need to look at those resistance level considerations. Rock thrown at a window = done.

The more important security feature is does your house have a motion sensor in the appropriate areas and do you turn on your alarm at night (for ground floor) when you sleep.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
17393 posts
6216 upvotes
rfdrfd wrote: I wouldn't think you'd need to look at those resistance level considerations. Rock thrown at a window = done.

The more important security feature is does your house have a motion sensor in the appropriate areas and do you turn on your alarm at night (for ground floor) when you sleep.
Its always worth asking those questions, in a residential area lock picking is quieter then breaking a window.
That said your correct a lock is not the only line of defense, its only the first piece.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
3874 posts
2376 upvotes
Toronto
Get a dog, or a gun.

Or both.
Jul 19, 2007
298 posts
135 upvotes
Guelph
chadw01 wrote: Get a dog, or a gun.

Or both.
Get a dog... and train it to use the gun.
Mar 7, 2011
34 posts
21 upvotes
Ottawa
Quentin5 wrote: Is that bright brass in vogue currently, seems out of date to me?
Someone asked on the Home Depot site and the answer from Weiser:

"Weiser Model: 9WACS74510-001 has an ANSI security grade level 3"
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3646 posts
2195 upvotes
Vancouver
Ben311 wrote: Get a dog... and train it to use the gun.
Breaking news, man got shot by his dog, more tonight at 11.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
9666 posts
2326 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Smart key, avoid.

These cyclinders have plastic parts last time I check and no locksmiths will touch those (just replace the whole cylinder lol)
Can be turned by force easily

I'll get a "dumb" security grade 1 Schlage anyday (they had their own SecureKey but dumped it because it also sucked)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2003
5042 posts
2321 upvotes
A Place to Stand
Daijoubu wrote: Smart key, avoid.

These cyclinders have plastic parts last time I check and no locksmiths will touch those (just replace the whole cylinder lol)
Can be turned by force easily

I'll get a "dumb" security grade 1 Schlage anyday (they had their own SecureKey but dumped it because it also sucked)
What is the point of this Smart Key? Why is it different?
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1453 posts
1109 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
midget_man wrote: What is the point of this Smart Key? Why is it different?
If you care to read google for 10 seconds you’d figure out that the Smart key systems allows you to rekey the deadbolt instantly instead of requiring a locksmith for any normal deadbolt lock.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
9666 posts
2326 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Primeline offers rekey kit for both Schlage and Weiser, their keys however are not THAT unique.

That's why I bought a bunch of pins so I can rekey my locks myself :)
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
17393 posts
6216 upvotes
Paigne wrote: Breaking news, man got shot by his dog, more tonight at 11.
This is too complicated to foresee, believing a dog will only shoot intruders gets more likes.
Consequences are not as fun...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2003
5042 posts
2321 upvotes
A Place to Stand
Altera wrote: If you care to read google for 10 seconds you’d figure out that the Smart key systems allows you to rekey the deadbolt instantly instead of requiring a locksmith for any normal deadbolt lock.
Why on earth would I do that, when I can type what I did for 9 seconds and save myself a second, and let you explain it to me for what likely took 20 seconds. :) ... The dude seemed to know a lot about it so I thought I'd ask someone who knows, Google these days can lead you toward a lot of bad info.