Expired Hot Deals

Home Depot

Honeywell fire and water chest Model 1104 ($164)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2021 10:26 pm
[OP]
Nov 23, 2020
73 posts
187 upvotes
Montreal

[Home Depot] Honeywell fire and water chest Model 1104 ($164)

Hi

I was looking for a safe storage for important documents in case of a fire and after reading multiple reviews Honeywell fire and water chest Model 1104 was named the best in its' class. Looked at amazon and official website - prices are 200+ and surprisingly it appeared to be $164 in home depot.
Not sure if the is a wrong price, but I picked it up from the store today and it is an original Honeywell safe.

Enjoy, but bear in mind that it's freaking heavy :)
Images
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 11.02.08.png
5 replies
Jul 13, 2016
291 posts
651 upvotes
Having something in-home would certainly be convenient but at this price I can rent a box at my bank for 5 years. Between that and digital copies of my documents I'm happy.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
3590 posts
633 upvotes
Toronto
There is also the
0.15 cu.ft. version - $84.98 here in this link, however can not fit letter or legal sized documents

Letter sized version - $148.61 here in this link, seems like a similar volume, but more boxy... if anyone wants to do the math to confirm
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2003
1253 posts
463 upvotes
Winnipeg
I had a similar fireproof box... and like one of the reviewers on the Home Depot webpage... I found that the papers I had stored in the box were damp after a few months. I was able to dry them out then I put them in small batches inside a vacuum sealed 'Foodsaver' heavy plastic bag, with a small amount of dessicant added for good measure.

The instructions say to open the box every few months to allow it to dry out. This assumes you read the instructions and follow them. I think they use a material that absorbs moisture as a way to keep the documents inside the box safe from fire damage. But if you neglect to either seal the documents in plastic and or dry out the interior ...then you might find your documents are damaged.. not by fire but by moisture.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37032 posts
22994 upvotes
Center of Universe
careh wrote: I had a similar fireproof box... and like one of the reviewers on the Home Depot webpage... I found that the papers I had stored in the box were damp after a few months. I was able to dry them out then I put them in small batches inside a vacuum sealed 'Foodsaver' heavy plastic bag, with a small amount of dessicant added for good measure.

The instructions say to open the box every few months to allow it to dry out. This assumes you read the instructions and follow them. I think they use a material that absorbs moisture as a way to keep the documents inside the box safe from fire damage. But if you neglect to either seal the documents in plastic and or dry out the interior ...then you might find your documents are damaged.. not by fire but by moisture.
I threw in a few packs of desiccants packs in my safe at home.
Feb 4, 2007
692 posts
647 upvotes
Always read the instructions! I open mine one a month for a 10 mins, no problems here.

The only issue with mine is that the locking latch has become misaligned, making locking nearly impossible (if I jam in something to push in the latch, it will close... But it's not a good solution). I have a replacement under warranty being shipped to me now, it's less than a year old! They could really make the latching mechanism better, it has too much play in my opinion... Otherwise it's very solid and nice!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)