[Home Depot] HUSKY Heavy Duty 7 ft. Wood Work Surface - $134

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2020 1:32 pm
[OP]
Jan 5, 2007
304 posts
138 upvotes

[Home Depot] HUSKY Heavy Duty 7 ft. Wood Work Surface - $134

Building a new workbench and mitre saw station is on my project list so I've been keeping an eye out for butcher block style work surfaces. This seems like a decent deal being solid wood, not a veneer. Size is OK at 84" x 23" x 1.25" but I prefer more depth for a workbench. Free ship to home.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
1632 posts
299 upvotes
Nice, wish it was just a bit wider. Trying to think of what I could do to extend the back by 2”
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
1965 posts
1398 upvotes
Montreal
Oscar11 wrote: Nice, wish it was just a bit wider. Trying to think of what I could do to extend the back by 2”
Plane a 2x4 (a real 2x4) and do a backsplash with it.

Or add a lip to the plank bu using a molding.
FS Ridgid 3D Tool or Battery Bracket
ridgid-battery-tool-3d-bracket-holder-2385643/
Dec 11, 2004
343 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Would this hold a vice clamp or be damaged?
Jul 22, 2015
464 posts
744 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Pretty small sheet.. Probably have better luck with kitchen top bamboo
[OP]
Jan 5, 2007
304 posts
138 upvotes
Superjester wrote: Pretty small sheet.. Probably have better luck with kitchen top bamboo
I'm not an expert woodworker nor do I know the materials all that well - just enough to stay away from soft woods like pine for a workbench top. How well would bamboo take to blunt force impacts?

2 of these pieces put together could make a fairly large workbench. 30" depth would have been nice but 23" depth for this price isn't bad. 23" is standard kitchen countertop depth though isn't it?
Feb 26, 2008
698 posts
645 upvotes
Surrey
Dex wrote: I'm not an expert woodworker nor do I know the materials all that well - just enough to stay away from soft woods like pine for a workbench top. How well would bamboo take to blunt force impacts?

2 of these pieces put together could make a fairly large workbench. 30" depth would have been nice but 23" depth for this price isn't bad. 23" is standard kitchen countertop depth though isn't it?
You would be fine with the bamboo counter top. It's pretty strong wood when you glue them together. The fibers are quite densely packed together. I have a couple of cutting boards that are bamboo and they have taken some hefty abuse from my meat cleaver. I was considering getting a counter top for my work bench project. It's that or plane out and glue some 2x4s. Really though you would go with the best option your space and tools allow you to do.

If you don't have the tools to make stuff wider go with a prefab one like one you posted. It's a pretty decent price for it. Thanks for posting it as I've been eyeing it as well.

To get a sense of how deep you want the top, I would start by laying out some of your projects and tools on your bench and see how much space you want/need. 23" isn't bad...about 26 would be nice. You'd also consider how far you can reach on your bench too if you are using a pegboard or have shelves up top. As mentioned above you could add additional pieces of wood to customize the width a bit.
Deal Guru
Dec 17, 2001
11330 posts
4473 upvotes
Brossard, Quebec
They sell kitchen island bamboo countertop which is 39 3/8" x 73 1/4 and is on sale quite often at RONA etc.
Apr 30, 2009
990 posts
1057 upvotes
GTA
One review says it is made from rubberwood, which seems plausible.
Apr 30, 2009
990 posts
1057 upvotes
GTA
Dex wrote: 23" is standard kitchen countertop depth though isn't it?
25" or 25.5" depth to get a small overhang on a 24" base cabinet.
Nov 15, 2017
247 posts
511 upvotes
WEST CANADA
$134 for a 7ft plank of wood? wouldn't be cheaper to just make one?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
7423 posts
1589 upvotes
Mont-Royal
zebracobra007 wrote: $134 for a 7ft plank of wood? wouldn't be cheaper to just make one?
I guess it's for poeple who use it everyday. Yeah a cheap mdf can certainly do any job too if it's all supported or a plywood
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
[OP]
Jan 5, 2007
304 posts
138 upvotes
zebracobra007 wrote: $134 for a 7ft plank of wood? wouldn't be cheaper to just make one?
If you've got access to a jointer, thickness planner, and a lot of clamps, sure you could make it for cheaper. You'd also need the hardwood but you might get by with standard 2x4s. Another option is as stated above - just use MDF or plywood but these tend to wear a lot worse depending on your situation so a good work surface is better if don't intend to baby the work surface and you actually need to work on it.

I use MDF for a surface where I am doing a lot of cutting with a utility knife while I also have a plywood work surface for flatness and light duty gluing work. Where I have the plywood work surface I also need to control dust/dirt during that process so I don't want the MDF chips mixing in. Both MDF and plywood are fine in the basement but for the garage where I'm doing heavier duty work and there's more moisture, solid hardwood work surfaces like the one on sale should take the impacts better while looking a lot nicer in general. At this price I am considering upgrading my plywood work surface and getting another piece for an assembly table.

I hadn't really considered bamboo but this may be a good option for me with the extra depth.