Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Home Depot

Kidde Hardwired Smoke Alarm with Hush Button Feature

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2020 2:09 am
[OP]
Apr 25, 2016
233 posts
327 upvotes
taxland

[Home Depot] Kidde Hardwired Smoke Alarm with Hush Button Feature

Was looking to replace very old hardwired FireX smoke detectors. Found these to be the cheapest. On-line only. I ordered and shipped 3 to nearest store. They came within 3 days. Installation required plug harness replacement but everything was included. Replaced three units. These are hardwired.
Last edited by aasoror on Feb 5th, 2020 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed link
22 replies
Jun 5, 2016
599 posts
791 upvotes
If you are near a Co-op hardware store (Alberta/Sask only I think) they have a $6.97 Kidde battery powered smoke alarm on sale until Feb 5
Sep 11, 2011
767 posts
1016 upvotes
Toronto
fremmy wrote: If you are near a Co-op hardware store (Alberta/Sask only I think) they have a $6.97 Kidde battery powered smoke alarm on sale until Feb 5
Side note to everyone:

Remember that it is against code (ie. illegal, and can get you fined or potentially denied a claim) to replace a fire alarm that is hardwired with a battery only version (thus bypassing the wire’s function all together).

Additional replies related to this notice:
flekr1 wrote: seems like a great deal except there is no battery back-up . and won't pass code for a new build "O. Reg 332/12 requires that smoke alarms have both constant power and battery backup. The battery backup must be sufficient to provide standby power for 7 days followed by 4 minutes of alarm."
(I believe this below is for new builds since 2015; check with your local Fire Department and/or Insurance company)
pkucera wrote: In Ontario now the code requires smoke detectors with strobes and annunciation due to the hearing and visually impaired. Typically smoke, strobe, CO with annunciation on every level such as the 3 in 1 Kidde and smoke strobe annunciation for bedrooms with the Kidde 2 in 1. There is currently no Nest smoke detector that is approved as it fails the strobe requirement. Inspectors in Toronto are failing them unless a newer product just came out. We install the Kidde systems all the time. They are not cheap, but current code.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/kidde- ... 1001020476
A bit more information:
https://www.oafc.on.ca/article/overview ... ugust-2017

Again, best to check with your local Fire Department and/or insurance company.
Last edited by ApocDeals on Feb 11th, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mar 17, 2015
807 posts
1546 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
Note, before installing, check to make sure the internal wires aren't touching any capacitors/resistors/etc. A few years back I had to replace one as it melted through the wires... I got lucky that it didn't cause a fire. Caught it only because the alarm was making an almost inaudible sound/buzzing. Emailed pics to manufacturer but they didn't give a hoot.

ps thanks op, checked & one is due for changing (last time IIRC it cost me over $50!)
Oct 17, 2017
35 posts
28 upvotes
Niagara
seems like a great deal except there is no battery back-up . and won't pass code for a new build "O. Reg 332/12 requires that smoke alarms have both constant power and battery backup. The battery backup must be sufficient to provide standby power for 7 days followed by 4 minutes of alarm."
Last edited by flekr1 on Feb 5th, 2020 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 17, 2015
807 posts
1546 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
Also just checked... in 2018 NBC (in Saskatchewan) now requires hardwired smoke alarms on each "storey containing sleeping rooms, in each sleeping room and in the hallway outside the sleeping rooms" -- glad I checked as will be finishing basement with bedroom this year!

Edit: dang, fleckr is correct, new builds/renos require battery back up too. Note that it is recommended that older homes/alarms be updated but are not required to be...
Last edited by Wheatboy on Feb 5th, 2020 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9279 posts
5105 upvotes
7things wrote: Was looking to replace very old hardwired FireX smoke detectors. Found these to be the cheapest. On-line only. I ordered and shipped 3 to nearest store. They came within 3 days. Installation required plug harness replacement but everything was included. Replaced three units. These are hardwired.
We did the exact same thing a couple of weeks ago. Exactly the same. Even were replacing old FireX smoke detectors and noticed these at a good discount so ordered 3 to nearest store. Took close to a month to arrive but when they arrived, all was expected. Easy to install and now we are complete again. Good deal!
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2018
1360 posts
2168 upvotes
Centre of the Univer…
I found this in Costco located at Kirkham Dr, Markham ON
Images
  • 3FE55543-A3FF-47FD-9F32-D9948F6D9B89.jpeg
Oct 25, 2008
431 posts
304 upvotes
Only after reading this thread did I realize by replacing two super old hardwired alarms with 10-year lithium battery ones that may be a code violation...

I guess I have to go buy hardwire + battery backup models which seems stupid since the 10 year lithium battery models are the least likely to have something to wrong?? I guess the only downside is that they are not interconnected
Mar 18, 2006
12 posts
5 upvotes
Calgary
choclover wrote: We did the exact same thing a couple of weeks ago. Exactly the same. Even were replacing old FireX smoke detectors and noticed these at a good discount so ordered 3 to nearest store. Took close to a month to arrive but when they arrived, all was expected. Easy to install and now we are complete again. Good deal!
I too, did same thing. Ordered 3 on Jan 10 for instore pickup here in Calgary. Received message on Jan 16 they were ready for pickup. Replaced the 15 year old units in our place, simple easy install
Oct 31, 2002
123 posts
11 upvotes
Stouffville
In Ontario now the code requires smoke detectors with strobes and annunciation due to the hearing and visually impaired. Typically smoke, strobe, CO with annunciation on every level such as the 3 in 1 Kidde and smoke strobe annunciation for bedrooms with the Kidde 2 in 1. There is currently no Nest smoke detector that is approved as it fails the strobe requirement. Inspectors in Toronto are failing them unless a newer product just came out. We install the Kidde systems all the time. They are not cheap, but current code.

pkucera
Jun 29, 2019
42 posts
58 upvotes
Had these at Oshawa Lowe's like 2 weeks ago I think. Carbon monoxide and smoke. Not sure if they're still there. I put them back when I found out they're wired. But they do have battery back up.
Images
  • upload.jpg
May 3, 2016
830 posts
657 upvotes
pkucera wrote: In Ontario now the code requires smoke detectors with strobes and annunciation due to the hearing and visually impaired. Typically smoke, strobe, CO with annunciation on every level such as the 3 in 1 Kidde and smoke strobe annunciation for bedrooms with the Kidde 2 in 1. There is currently no Nest smoke detector that is approved as it fails the strobe requirement. Inspectors in Toronto are failing them unless a newer product just came out. We install the Kidde systems all the time. They are not cheap, but current code.

Mom & Pop / Local stores have these for way cheaper. IIRC I paid $65~$75+HST a pop a year or so ago.

One of the units had an issue and Kiddie replaced free of charge. So they were legit in case anyone is wondering.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
10119 posts
8153 upvotes
Kootenays
ApocDeals wrote: Side note to everyone:

Remember that it is against code (ie. illegal, and can get you fined or potentially denied a claim) to replace a fire alarm that is hardwired with a battery only version (thus bypassing the wire’s function all together).
This might be an Ontario only situation. In trying to discern whether this applies in BC, I came across this: http://smithersfire.ca/faqs/
"Is it ok to replace existing permanently hardwired individual smoke alarms or electrically interconnected smoke alarms with battery powered smoke alarms?
Absolutely, battery operated smoke alarms work just as well and also will not fail if the power goes out in your home."
Mar 7, 2011
685 posts
1013 upvotes
ApocDeals wrote: Side note to everyone:

How about nest wired version? It only gets the power from the ceiling. Communication between two nest protect is wireless.
Sep 11, 2011
767 posts
1016 upvotes
Toronto
smacd wrote: This might be an Ontario only situation. In trying to discern whether this applies in BC, I came across this: http://smithersfire.ca/faqs/
"Is it ok to replace existing permanently hardwired individual smoke alarms or electrically interconnected smoke alarms with battery powered smoke alarms?
Absolutely, battery operated smoke alarms work just as well and also will not fail if the power goes out in your home."
Sorry I should have mentioned my comment was in reference to Ontario; I’m not sure about other provinces.
Sep 11, 2011
767 posts
1016 upvotes
Toronto
yashgandhi wrote: How about nest wired version? It only gets the power from the ceiling. Communication between two nest protect is wireless.
If you have a wire from your ceiling/behind your alarm, then you can only replace it with a wired version (in Ontario). I’m not entirely sure how the Nest Protect works, but it’s possible it does use the wire to communicate with other non-Nest Protect fire alarms.

You still couldn’t - for example - replace a wired fire alarm with A wired Nest Protect, and then replace the others with a battery version of the Nest Protect.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)