Expired Hot Deals

Home Depot

Klein Tools 3-Piece AC/DC Voltage Tester, Non-Contact Voltage Tester and Outlet Tester Tool Set, $35

[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2019
1251 posts
5268 upvotes

[Home Depot] Klein Tools 3-Piece AC/DC Voltage Tester, Non-Contact Voltage Tester and Outlet Tester Tool Set, $35

Klein Tools 3-Piece AC/DC Voltage Tester, Non-Contact Voltage Tester and Outlet Tester Tool Set, $35

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/klein- ... 1001584738

Three tools are included: The ET45 Voltage Tester is a simple, easy to use tester to check, verify or troubleshoot common residential electrical wiring in electrical outlets, light fixtures, doorbells and more. The NCVT3P automatically detects and indicates voltage (12 - 1000V AC) allowing broad application. The RT210 will troubleshoot the most common wiring problems in standard and GFCI receptacles.

ET45 Voltage Tester tests AC voltages from 24V to 240V AC at four useful levels
Tests DC voltages from 32V to 330V at four levels
NCVT3P provides non-contact detection of low voltage in security, entertainment, communications, environmental control, and irrigation systems
NCVT3P detects 12 to 1000V AC with simultaneous visual and audible voltage indicators
NCVT3P has a flashlight that can be used independently of the NCVT
RT210 detects the most common wiring problems in standard and GFCI receptacles

Seems a good set of basic tools for doing electrical work at home.
21 replies
Feb 26, 2014
71 posts
39 upvotes
DARTMOUTH
Thanks OP, picked up a set for projects around the house.
Oct 17, 2011
123 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP. This is a good deal. Each item is normally $35
Dec 3, 2009
253 posts
62 upvotes
Ottawa
Can this be used to test for a live wire? (e.g. if you’re only 90% sure you turned off the right breaker, could you use this to touch the wire and see?)
Aug 27, 2010
118 posts
129 upvotes
Québec, Canada
Sane88 wrote: Can this be used to test for a live wire? (e.g. if you’re only 90% sure you turned off the right breaker, could you use this to touch the wire and see?)
Yes, the yellow pen is exactly for this use case.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2019
1251 posts
5268 upvotes
Sane88 wrote: Can this be used to test for a live wire? (e.g. if you’re only 90% sure you turned off the right breaker, could you use this to touch the wire and see?)
NCVT3P is non-contact voltage tester. If the wire is live, point the tester close to the wire and it should beep and it’s LED indicator should be on.
Apr 13, 2004
893 posts
523 upvotes
I picked up this specific non-contact voltage tester w/ the LED a while ago at full retail - cost basically the same as this entire kit.

Was v.useful helping find the live wire when swapping out some old GFCIs. Cannot tell you how many times the pen light functionality has come in handy. Much better usability than using my cell phone's LED.

Super handy - highly recommend!
Heatware (11-0-0)
Spongeboy
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2019
1251 posts
5268 upvotes
roundtoit wrote: Thanks OP. This is a good deal. Each item is normally $35
The current prices at Home Depot for the three items are $12, $34, $13 if you buy them separately. So $35 for the set is a pretty good deal.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2559 posts
770 upvotes
Lévis
Isn't that regular price? Doesn't mean it's a cold deal but just asking.
Pourquoi pas?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2019
1251 posts
5268 upvotes
SPARTACVS wrote: Isn't that regular price? Doesn't mean it's a cold deal but just asking.
Not sure. This is the first time I notice this set. Maybe it becomes available recently?

Need to do some electric work at home. This set fit my need quite well and the price is quite reasonable IMO.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
2755 posts
2353 upvotes
BC
SPARTACVS wrote: Isn't that regular price? Doesn't mean it's a cold deal but just asking.
Not sure if this is a regular stocked item .. it seems to be oos on all my local stores and oos online as well. No ship to store pickup option either
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2005
1002 posts
277 upvotes
GVR
qfli78 wrote: Not sure. This is the first time I notice this set. Maybe it becomes available recently?

Need to do some electric work at home. This set fit my need quite well and the price is quite reasonable IMO.
Not sure when it was first available, but I noticed it back in Feb (and even posted about it another GFCI tester thread). It was OOS in BC at the time but in-stock in Ontario stores, and not available for shipping within BC.

However, a couple of weeks ago, it was still OOS in store, but available online for shipping so I order it and received it before you posted this up.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2019
1251 posts
5268 upvotes
muffin4life wrote: Not sure if this is a regular stocked item .. it seems to be oos on all my local stores and oos online as well. No ship to store pickup option either
It is still available in a few stores close to me. I am in GTA.

I ordered one online and it was delivered yesterday. That option is no longer available for now.

First impressions:
1. The pen-style voltage tester works well. It has a build-in flashlight which is quite handy. It also has two ranges. For sure it can detect 120V live wire and provides both visual and audio alarms. However, if you have a bunch of wires close to each other and only one is live, it probably will NOT be able to tell which one is live.
2. Try the outlet tester on a few outlets and it works well. It should be quite useful if you install some outlets and want to confirm you have wired them correctly.
3. The AC/DC voltage tester is quite compact and does not need battery. It only has 4 LEDs and it can NOT tell the exact voltage. But it can tell the ballpark level of the voltage.