Hot Deals

Home Depot

Knipex 3-Piece Set- 10 Inch Cobra Pliers, 8 Inch High Leverage Diagonal Cutter and KNIPEX Keeper $69.98

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2023 9:30 am
39 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3734 posts
913 upvotes
Hamilton
No time machine, but pretty sure the normal price for this set is $59
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
3977 posts
12438 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I can't get over them counting the carrying case in number of pieces in the set...

"3" piece set...carry bag counts as a piece...sigh.....
Last edited by stovetop on Jan 7th, 2023 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5060 posts
1757 upvotes
Pliers Wrench > Cobras

At least for DIYers. I haven't used my cobras in years but use the pliers wrench set all the time.
Let's hug it out
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3734 posts
913 upvotes
Hamilton
RCGA wrote: Pliers Wrench > Cobras

At least for DIYers. I haven't used my cobras in years but use the pliers wrench set all the time.
I have tons of tools, never used anything from kinpex though. What tool does the pliers wrench replace? Channel locks?
Sep 29, 2014
740 posts
406 upvotes
GTA
adblink182 wrote: I have tons of tools, never used anything from kinpex though. What tool does the pliers wrench replace? Channel locks?
adjustable wrench

the cobras and the pliers wrench feel like two totally different work is done with each.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6197 posts
4053 upvotes
Toronto

Two totally different tools, you're going to use a lot more effort to hold/tighten a round object with the pliers wrench than you are with cobras.
adblink182 wrote: I have tons of tools, never used anything from kinpex though. What tool does the pliers wrench replace? Channel locks?
Do you mean tongue and groove pliers, Channellock is a brand?
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2002
6178 posts
620 upvotes
Quebec

i don't see how. most people have wrench sets and even cheap adjsutable wrenches, so knipex plier wrench is uncessary unless you're a pro plumber. cobra is a plier, so it gets a lot of use.
Jan 10, 2006
774 posts
683 upvotes

I've been patiently waiting for a deal on the knipex 10" pliers wrench. But it's for a totally different application.

I got the cobras for stuck or rounded fasteners. I want the pliers wrench for when I don't want to destroy the fastener or mar surfaces.
Jan 10, 2006
774 posts
683 upvotes
fakishan wrote: i don't see how. most people have wrench sets and even cheap adjsutable wrenches, so knipex plier wrench is uncessary unless you're a pro plumber. cobra is a plier, so it gets a lot of use.
Adjustable wrenches tend to round fasteners. It's such a pain to adjust them to just the right size. Either it's too tight to get on, or a bit loose and risks rounding. The concept of combining pliers and wrenches is fantastic, and the "ratcheting" feature is the cherry on the cake. Plus with it being adjustable it can cover a wide range of both metric and standard wrench sizes in one tool instead of one or two sets of wrenches. Although I don't have any first hand experience with the pliers wrench, I totally see the point.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6197 posts
4053 upvotes
Toronto
fizikz wrote: Adjustable wrenches tend to round fasteners. It's such a pain to adjust them to just the right size. Either it's too tight to get on, or a bit loose and risks rounding. The concept of combining pliers and wrenches is fantastic, and the "ratcheting" feature is the cherry on the cake. Plus with it being adjustable it can cover a wide range of both metric and standard wrench sizes in one tool instead of one or two sets of wrenches. Although I don't have any first hand experience with the pliers wrench, I totally see the point.
Adjust the wrench while on the fastener, rounding is most likely due to using the adjustable wrong, an adjustable can also be used one handed.

I'd say I use an adjustable 80%+ of the time vs the pliers wrench.
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Feb 13, 2021
550 posts
550 upvotes
"Not Sold In-Store" because at that price no ones buys that set. Way overpriced.

Knipex: "Based in Germany" so these are probably made in You-Know-Where...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6197 posts
4053 upvotes
Toronto
BenKlaar wrote: "Not Sold In-Store" because at that price no ones buys that set. Way overpriced.

Wrong, all my Knipex are made in Germany.

Knipex are not for the race to the bottom people (people that only care about a low price).
Last edited by BeaverLiquor on Jan 7th, 2023 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Jan 10, 2006
774 posts
683 upvotes
BeaverLiquor wrote: Adjust the wrench while on the fastener, rounding is most likely due to using the adjustable wrong, an adjustable can also be used one handed.

I'd say I use an adjustable 80%+ of the time vs the pliers wrench.
Sure but then it takes some wiggling to tighten the adjustable wrench, it can work itself loose, and when it is on really well it can be a pain to remove and reposition. How/why would the pliers wrench be used two-handed? But I can see the benefit of not having to squeeze the adjustable wrench. I suppose I'd find pros and cons in actual use, but at least in concept I find the pliers wrench very appealing, enough to keep an eye out for sales.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6197 posts
4053 upvotes
Toronto
fizikz wrote: Sure but then it takes some wiggling to tighten the adjustable wrench, it can work itself loose, and when it is on really well it can be a pain to remove and reposition. How/why would the pliers wrench be used two-handed? But I can see the benefit of not having to squeeze the adjustable wrench. I suppose I'd find pros and cons in actual use, but at least in concept I find the pliers wrench very appealing, enough to keep an eye out for sales.
Much harder to adjust the pliers wrench with one hand vs an adjustable.
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Feb 13, 2021
550 posts
550 upvotes
BeaverLiquor wrote: Wrong, all my Knipex are made in Germany.

Knipex are not for the race to the bottom people (people that only care about a low price).
Well that's good to read. But why don't they just show "Made in Germany"? There are so many companies that claim "Proudly American" or "Proudly Canadian" but their products are all made in China. So it makes me suspicious when I read "based in Germany".
And yes, they are made in Deutschland.
Last edited by BenKlaar on Jan 7th, 2023 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3734 posts
913 upvotes
Hamilton
BeaverLiquor wrote: Two totally different tools, you're going to use a lot more effort to hold/tighten a round object with the pliers wrench than you are with cobras.

Do you mean tongue and groove pliers, Channellock is a brand?
Yes I'm aware.

Out in industry no one says "go grab the tongue and groove pliers" . Channel locks is a common term that refers to T&G pliers.
May 3, 2022
278 posts
478 upvotes
These plyers are $40-$50 EACH normally. Good deal on high end tools. Once you use them, you can't go back to regular stuff.

P.s. Who cares if they count the pouch as a piece, it's a great price regardless. (The case IS very nice though)
May 3, 2022
278 posts
478 upvotes
BenKlaar wrote: "Not Sold In-Store" because at that price no ones buys that set. Way overpriced.

Say you have no clue what Knipex is without saying you have no clue what Knipex is. LOL
Jul 22, 2015
858 posts
1772 upvotes
Toronto, ON
-4 downvotes and bitching because the 3rd piece is just a bag.

Man. Redflagdeals is wild sometimes.

Go buy these two individually at Canadian Tire. The 8" cutters are 69.99 and the Cobras are 54.99.

Also, If you complain about how the Average Home owner doesn't need Knipex. You are right, These are not for you.

Sorry for being Spicy Everyone, But owning a pair of Knipex is a Hill I am willing to die on! One of the best tools I have owned.