[Home Depot] Korky Quietfill Toilet Fill Valve $14.04

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2019 1:13 am
[OP]
Nov 12, 2009
514 posts
572 upvotes

[Home Depot] Korky Quietfill Toilet Fill Valve $14.04

Not as cheap as the last deal but close enough.

Online Exclusive Deal.
25 replies
Apr 3, 2010
448 posts
475 upvotes
I replaced three of these in my home, during the last deal. But here's a recommendation. Get the Korky Platinum instead of this one. The Platinum has a valve that can control the amount of water that is used to refill the bowl. You can adjust it, so the bowl doesn't over-fill. With the Korky original, I found that too much water was going into the bowl, and simply draining away. I spent a lot of time finding and adding my own in-line valves, so I could adjust that flow. In the end, the savings weren't worth it with this model.

Otherwise, I've had no trouble with the Korky. If you've still got the old style ball floats, highly recommend that you upgrade to a Korky.
Sep 4, 2016
77 posts
46 upvotes
Nova Scotia
I have one of these. Breeze to install, but has to be the loudest fill valve I've ever used. I'm sure it's defective, but I can't be bothered to replace it.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14883 posts
15730 upvotes
Oakville
I've used 2 of these to replace existing low volume fillers. I didn't need any volume adjustment. I wouldn't call them quiet, but they were about as loud as the old fillers, which wasn't too loud.
I did have trouble trying to fit the filler in the small tank with a centre mounted flush buttons.
Aug 17, 2011
161 posts
123 upvotes
TORONTO
Hotdiggety wrote: I replaced three of these in my home, during the last deal. But here's a recommendation. Get the Korky Platinum instead of this one. The Platinum has a valve that can control the amount of water that is used to refill the bowl. You can adjust it, so the bowl doesn't over-fill. With the Korky original, I found that too much water was going into the bowl, and simply draining away. I spent a lot of time finding and adding my own in-line valves, so I could adjust that flow. In the end, the savings weren't worth it with this model.

Otherwise, I've had no trouble with the Korky. If you've still got the old style ball floats, highly recommend that you upgrade to a Korky.
I bought the one OP posted off amazon, I’m fairly certain that you can twist it prior to installation to adjust the water level.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2008
1512 posts
417 upvotes
willdaman wrote: I bought the one OP posted off amazon, I’m fairly certain that you can twist it prior to installation to adjust the water level.
Yes, you can adjust prior to installation.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14883 posts
15730 upvotes
Oakville
willdaman wrote: I bought the one OP posted off amazon, I’m fairly certain that you can twist it prior to installation to adjust the water level.
I think he's referring to the amount of water that goes to the bowl, not the amount in the tank.
Aug 17, 2011
161 posts
123 upvotes
TORONTO
engineered wrote: I think he's referring to the amount of water that goes to the bowl, not the amount in the tank.
I’m not super versed on toilet operations, but I believe the water in the tank is what fills the bowl when you flush.

In the tank, there is an open overflow tube that the water will drain into if the water level in the tank exceeds the level of the overflow tube. I thought he was referring to the fact that his fill valve was filling the tank beyond the level of the overflow tube, which yes does waste water.

For this Korky fill valve, you can twist the unit to “shorten” it so less water will fill the tank. Ideally you set it correctly prior to installing, otherwise you have to uninstall it to readjust.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14883 posts
15730 upvotes
Oakville
willdaman wrote: I’m not super versed on toilet operations, but I believe the water in the tank is what fills the bowl when you flush.

In the tank, there is an open overflow tube that the water will drain into if the water level in the tank exceeds the level of the overflow tube. I thought he was referring to the fact that his fill valve was filling the tank beyond the level of the overflow tube, which yes does waste water.

For this Korky fill valve, you can twist the unit to “shorten” it so less water will fill the tank. Ideally you set it correctly prior to installing, otherwise you have to uninstall it to readjust.
After a flush, the fill valve fills the tank and has a small tube that partially refills the bowl. I guess the one he's suggesting can vary the flow to the bowl.

In this image, the refill tube fills the bowl through the overflow pipe.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
2110 posts
673 upvotes
AshleyB873419 wrote: I have one of these. Breeze to install, but has to be the loudest fill valve I've ever used. I'm sure it's defective, but I can't be bothered to replace it.
+1 on the higher noise comment. I installed the korky platinum and it's definitely much louder than the broken fluidmaster that it replaced that came stock in my "new" american standard vormax toilet.

It's not insanely loud, but if I had to do it over again, I would've stuck with fluidmaster as that was virtually silent in comparison. Other than that, I have no issues with it.
Apr 3, 2010
448 posts
475 upvotes
engineered wrote: After a flush, the fill valve fills the tank and has a small tube that partially refills the bowl. I guess the one he's suggesting can vary the flow to the bowl.
Yes, that's what I was referring to. There is a flexible black tube coming off the top of the valve, which directs water into the bowl (through the drain valve), as the tank is filling up after a flush. So the tank fills, and water gushes out of the black tube down into the bowl at the same time, as long as the fill valve is still filling. That black tube needs to have a valve on it, or too much water will go into the bowl, and be wasted.

What you want is for the tank and the bowl to both finish filling up to the desirable level simultaneously.
Jul 23, 2018
352 posts
114 upvotes
Looks like there are some knowledgeable people here; hoping someone can help.

Sometimes, after flushing, the tank doesn't fill up and I can hear the water continuously, for a lack of a better word, flowing. I need to keep hitting the flush valve until it fills up.

1. Is water being wasted when this is happening?
2. Is buying this Korky product, or equivalent, the solution?

Thanks!
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12201 posts
1127 upvotes
Brampton
OongaLoonga wrote: Looks like there are some knowledgeable people here; hoping someone can help.

Sometimes, after flushing, the tank doesn't fill up and I can hear the water continuously, for a lack of a better word, flowing. I need to keep hitting the flush valve until it fills up.

Thanks!
The flapper isn't closing fully and allowing water to keep on draining out of the tank. Check to see why the flapper is not blocking the drain hole.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2007
2078 posts
1529 upvotes
Waterloo
OongaLoonga wrote: Looks like there are some knowledgeable people here; hoping someone can help.

Thanks!
Check the flap that is attached to the lever and the chain that goes to the flap. If the flap is not making a proper "seal" when closing, it might just keep running. Also check the chain attached to the flap, some of them may get caught in a "knot" when you press the lever and need to be de-tangled.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
3755 posts
4404 upvotes
somewhere in B.C.
my guess is as above, the flapper.
my bet would be a rotting flapper.
You need to determine the type of flapper it is before going to a store,... there are MANY types of flappers

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)