Expired Hot Deals

Home Depot

Lutron Caseta Wireless Kit with In-Wall Dimmer Kit & Smart Bridge (P-BDG-PKG1W-C) - $89.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 31st, 2020 2:27 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2373 posts
5225 upvotes
Markham

[Home Depot] Lutron Caseta Wireless Kit with In-Wall Dimmer Kit & Smart Bridge (P-BDG-PKG1W-C) - $89.99

Not the cheapest according to CCC historically, but still a pretty good price if you need it now. This dimmer doesn't require a neutral wire, so great for older builds. Caseta itself is extremely highly rated and honestly I'm surprised a non-tech company does software so well.

To get the price, just price match against BestBuy.ca: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/lu ... c/10398764
59 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2019
1478 posts
3325 upvotes
Canada
Best buy price from your link says 99.99
Live a little
Apr 6, 2013
300 posts
291 upvotes
Jackji wrote: Best buy price from your link says 99.99
Home Depot will beat the price by 10%. So 89.99 at HD.
Nov 19, 2009
720 posts
642 upvotes
Toronto
I've got this as I live in an older condo. Can't speak to the price, but the product is great. Works flawlessly with Google home and my harmony hub.
Nov 12, 2019
307 posts
1094 upvotes
I just got into Lutron (came with new house) as well as Leviton switches (purchased for previous house then moved to new one). The Lutron do not require neutral as OP mentioned but the Leviton do. I personally like the look of the Leviton switches better as they look more like traditional switches, but both perform equally well from SmartThings. I do like the idea of the Lutron Audio remote for Sonos but haven't picked one up, and will also likely look at the fan controller down the road.

Bottom line for someone getting into smart switches is age of the building and if you have neutral wires EVERYWHERE. If not, then this Lutron is the right decision, if yes, then you have options. The Lutron system is very versatile (switches/dimmers, audio, fan, etc), but Leviton (z-wave/zigbee) is vendor agnostic which is also something to consider (cough, Wink, Iris, etc). I personally use everything through SmartThings, so I can't comment on the Lutron app beyond basic use a few times which seemed fine enough.
Apr 3, 2007
207 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
grahamj89 wrote: Home Depot will beat the price by 10%. So 89.99 at HD.
Maybe better as I now see $119.95 / each at HD Markham
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2373 posts
5225 upvotes
Markham
marvinandro wrote: Maybe better as I now see $119.95 / each at HD Markham
HD works a bit differently. They just take the competitor price, then discount it by 10%, so doesn't really matter what HD's price is.
Nov 22, 2007
302 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
can i connect 2 dimmers to 1 pico? believe only if i have a bridge, right?

also if installing on 3 way, do i install pico on 1 location and dimmer on other? m so confused with this smart stuff lolll...guess not that smart myselfFace With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Mar 15, 2005
844 posts
763 upvotes
abhi wrote: can i connect 2 dimmers to 1 pico? believe only if i have a bridge, right?

also if installing on 3 way, do i install pico on 1 location and dimmer on other? m so confused with this smart stuff lolll...guess not that smart myselfFace With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
I'm pretty sure one Pico per switch, but you can totally replace a traditional 3 way setup by putting the caseta switch on one location and mount the Pico remote in the other location by using one of these brackets
Nov 14, 2006
560 posts
526 upvotes
abhi wrote: can i connect 2 dimmers to 1 pico? believe only if i have a bridge, right?

Depends on what you want to do. If you just want a 3 way switch configuration, then you only need to hard wire install the main switch on the wall (replacing the current one). The smaller remote works via RF with the main switch and does not need to be mounted on the wall necessarily. This configuration - main and remote used as a 3-way switch (ON/OFF plus dimmer functions) set up does not need a WiFi bridge. An example of this configuration could be basement light controlled by a main switch at the top of the stairs, then a remote switch in the basement to dim or switch the light ON/OFF while physically in the basement. This set up works well for a TV Rec room in my basement.

However if you want 2 or more remotes to switch or dim a light or lights beyond the main switch, then WiFi bridge is needed. Once you have Wifi bridge set up, your mobile phone or mobile tablet can act as additional remote switches as well. Also the Wifi bridge set up will allow multiple switches/lights to be controlled by a mobile device running the App.
Nov 22, 2007
302 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
cchenzz wrote: Depends on what you want to do. If you just want a 3 way switch configuration, then you only need to hard wire install the main switch on the wall (replacing the current one). The smaller remote works via RF with the main switch and does not need to be mounted on the wall necessarily. This configuration - main and remote used as a 3-way switch (ON/OFF plus dimmer functions) set up does not need a WiFi bridge. An example of this configuration could be basement light controlled by a main switch at the top of the stairs, then a remote switch in the basement to dim or switch the light ON/OFF while physically in the basement. This set up works well for a TV Rec room in my basement.

However if you want 2 or more remotes to switch or dim a light or lights beyond the main switch, then WiFi bridge is needed. Once you have Wifi bridge set up, your mobile phone or mobile tablet can act as additional remote switches as well. Also the Wifi bridge set up will allow multiple switches/lights to be controlled by a mobile device running the App.
Thanks a lot...so basically if "i want to operate the light switch on the far end of my room" or the hallway without the need to get my lazy bum up, i need a bridge Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes and install the remote next to my bed. correct?
Nov 14, 2006
560 posts
526 upvotes
abhi wrote: Thanks a lot...so basically if "i want to operate the light switch on the far end of my room" or the hallway without the need to get my lazy bum up, i need a bridge Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes and install the remote next to my bed. correct?
If the light on the far end of your room is hard wired up to the main switch (probably at far end wall?) out of the box, then the remote (PICO?) switch out of the same box can be left on your night table (runs on a cell battery just like a car remote) or stick it on the wall with a double sided tape or get fancy and buy a wall bracket and stick it on the wall if you like. The remote switch will work to dim or switch ON/OFF the far end light of your room, completely portable and wireless really from anywhere in the house (RF link works beyond line-of-sight range) in a 3-way configuration. NO bridge or hub needed if this is all you need.
Last edited by cchenzz on Jul 28th, 2020 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 21, 2010
552 posts
208 upvotes
Z-wave switches also don't need neutral wire but you need a z-wave hub of sorts. The one I got from Amazon was 44 bucks.
Nov 6, 2013
553 posts
477 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I bought Caseta on the recommendation of my electrician, who says that's what he installs in all renovations. It looks very good and the app works well alone or with Google Home, but I have to say it's very annoying that the standard Caseta switches do *not* remember your last dimmed setting. I.e., if you have lights set at 50% and you turn it off, you cannot simply press the on button and have it go to 50%. It will always go back to 100%.

IMO this is a very basic feature that other, cheaper dimmers have. I have resorted to only controlling lights by voice command, which is fine, but if I'm paying $30 more per dimmer switch, I'd have expected better. I'd recommend a cheaper, competent option for this reason alone.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4113 posts
4317 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Love my Lutron lights, most reliable HomeKit item I own. Never had to repair/replace it in the 1.5 years I've had it installed. Install is easy. They also make switches that require a neutral but they're more expensive.

$100 is a pretty standard sale price for the bridge, seen it for $80 on amazon a bunch of times. It's a shame only the bridge is on sale, I've got a few switches I'd like to make smart.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2006
1222 posts
369 upvotes
Mississauga
I just need the bridge. If I buy this and use the bridge on my existing Caseta switches I should be good?

This is cheaper than the bridge by itself.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2373 posts
5225 upvotes
Markham
Ecsta wrote: Love my Lutron lights, most reliable HomeKit item I own. Never had to repair/replace it in the 1.5 years I've had it installed. Install is easy. They also make switches that require a neutral but they're more expensive.

$100 is a pretty standard sale price for the bridge, seen it for $80 on amazon a bunch of times. It's a shame only the bridge is on sale, I've got a few switches I'd like to make smart.
This is $90, not $100, and according to CCC its only been in the $80s once from Amazon, and 3 times from 3rd party sellers since 2016.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2373 posts
5225 upvotes
Markham
SWstriker17 wrote: I just need the bridge. If I buy this and use the bridge on my existing Caseta switches I should be good?

Yep!
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
2946 posts
846 upvotes
SWstriker17 wrote: I just need the bridge. If I buy this and use the bridge on my existing Caseta switches I should be good?

Previous Wink owner? If so, I am in a similar boat just needing the bridge.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2006
1222 posts
369 upvotes
Mississauga
knapper wrote: Previous Wink owner? If so, I am in a similar boat just needing the bridge.
Nope. Just had my exterior lights done on the house with Caseta switches but need a bridge to have smartphone access. No idea why the electrician didn't buy one of these kits as it would have came cheaper in the end. Now I'm going to have an extra switch and pico remote.