• Feb 13th, 2021 1:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3592 posts
2308 upvotes
Vancouver

[Home Depot] Midea 5.3 cu.ft. Upright Freezer with Reversible Door - $248

Midea MU53DSWBR1RCM from Home Depot. This fits easily in a CR-V, RAV4, or similar vehicle negating the need for delivery.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/midea- ... 1001582573

This is a warm deal for a 5.3 cu. ft. upright freezer with manual defrost. Best Buy used to re-badge this as an Insignia NS-UZ53WH9, so you'll find plenty of reviews. They have since replaced it with a 7.0 cu. ft. model, likely still from Midea.

Reviews: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/reviews/in ... te/6112630
16 replies
Nov 27, 2017
27 posts
13 upvotes
Moncton, NB
I hope that it will fit in a Nissan Qashquai.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2007
1037 posts
68 upvotes
Chest freezers are much more energy efficient but obviously require a larger footprint.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
10701 posts
5043 upvotes
fatpandasneezes wrote: What is a "reversible door"?
You can have it open right or open left.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user!
EQ BANK!
SIMPLii !!
Buy first think later!
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
10701 posts
5043 upvotes
bluewaker wrote: Chest freezers are much more energy efficient but obviously require a larger footprint.
We have a small chest freezer and been looking for a bigger one but a upright does take less space now not sure if i should get this or keep looking
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user!
EQ BANK!
SIMPLii !!
Buy first think later!
Oct 2, 2017
11 posts
6 upvotes
Bought this last week. Picked up at store in Brampton and seems to be a nice freezer. Once unboxed there were no visible dents or scratches. Only time will tell how reliable it will be.

Fit in my Honda HRV with the front passenger seat moved all the way up.
Jan 4, 2014
375 posts
464 upvotes
Paris
A freezer is one of those appliances you want to buy the right type.
Upright and frost free.
I hate diving to find stuff. Plus, unpacking to defrost ever so often. Spend a few dollars to get upright and frost free
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
2391 posts
1305 upvotes
GTA
bluewaker wrote: Chest freezers are much more energy efficient but obviously require a larger footprint.
blazed16 wrote: We have a small chest freezer and been looking for a bigger one but a upright does take less space now not sure if i should get this or keep looking
IslandTourGuide wrote: A freezer is one of those appliances you want to buy the right type.
Upright and frost free.
I hate diving to find stuff. Plus, unpacking to defrost ever so often. Spend a few dollars to get upright and frost free
Chest are more energy efficient but larger footprint yes, most chest freezers dont have a defrost cycle, also the refrigeration coils are in the side walls so no fan needed to move air around meaning less moving parts. Need to reach down yes but will last longer than any upright in the long run. So there are the pros and cons , you decide which works for you.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4263 posts
3627 upvotes
Toronto
IslandTourGuide wrote: Spend a few dollars to get upright and frost free
The problem is that going automatic defrost is more than "a few dollars". This manual defrost freezer is $248. Automatic defrost ones are usually $700+...
Jan 4, 2014
375 posts
464 upvotes
Paris
jm1 wrote: The problem is that going automatic defrost is more than "a few dollars". This manual defrost freezer is $248. Automatic defrost ones are usually $700+...
Some things you just have to spend a bit more
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
1057 posts
632 upvotes
BC
5.3 upright might be a bit small... Have a 5.5 chest freezer and at times I feel like it's too small as well. A 4l bucket of ice cream and a lot of space is used already
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1607 posts
1299 upvotes
Upright freezers are convenient but make you waste space. Already 5.3 cu ft isn't that big. Auto defrost will spoil (freezer burn) your food a lot sooner than a manual defrost. Best use for this appliance is if you plan on using it like the freezer of your fridge.

If your goal is to keep food for as long as possible get a chest freezer (NO AUTO DEFROST!!!). I have three large chest freezers...

Also, during a blackout a chest freezer will keep the food cold/frozen for much longer than an upright. Always best to keep freezer as full as possible. Mines are 95%+ full. Density of food will also play a role in how long food remains cold /frozen during a blackout.
Last edited by TomLafinsky on Feb 13th, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mistakes are learning opportunities. Not the expression of failure.
Oct 31, 2012
41 posts
135 upvotes
Nova Scotia
TomLafinsky wrote: Upright freezer are convenient but makes you waste space. Already 5.3 cu ft isn't that big. Auto defrost will spoil (freezer burn) your food a lot sooner than a manual defrost. Best use for this appliance is if you plan on using it like the freezer of your fridge.

If your goal is to keep food for as long as possible get a chest freezer (NO AUTO DEFROST!!!). I have three large chest freezers...

Also, during a blackout a chest freezer will keep the food cold for much longer than an upright. Always best to keep freezer as full as possible. Density of food will also play a role in how long food remains cold /frozen during a blackout.
Also, chest freezers are wayyy more efficient. Check this video out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CGAhWgkKlHI