• Nov 8th, 2018 9:39 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
6548 posts
854 upvotes
Toronto
Composter wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 7:09 pm
this is first gen old brushed stuff, they had a 4 tool kit that had everything except the multi tool a few years ago go down to $79 thats right $79......this is not worth the $248 IMHO
this kit
Was that $79 kit posted on RFD? I don't remember it.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4243 posts
728 upvotes
Toronto
No Fuel, no buy
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2763 upvotes
RCGA wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 7:47 pm
No Fuel, no buy
In my opinion Milwaukee's Fuel line does not have as good a value for money as their brushed motor models. They charge too much of a premium price for Fuel, and you have to sacrifice a little more size and weight to get the extra power, which you don't need for most jobs. I'm not saying that Fuel is bad - I have a couple of M12 Fuel tools - but I overall I like the value for money better on the non-Fuel models.
Jan 11, 2008
122 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Hope there will be another sale for drill and impact driver again this year for under $100.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4243 posts
728 upvotes
Toronto
Exp315 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 8:07 pm
In my opinion Milwaukee's Fuel line does not have as good a value for money as their brushed motor models. They charge too much of a premium price for Fuel, and you have to sacrifice a little more size and weight to get the extra power, which you don't need for most jobs. I'm not saying that Fuel is bad - I have a couple of M12 Fuel tools - but I overall I like the value for money better on the non-Fuel models.
If you're buying a brushed motor, you might as well cheap out all the way with it and buy Ryobi
Nov 9, 2010
32 posts
29 upvotes
sherb
RCGA wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 8:20 pm
If you're buying a brushed motor, you might as well cheap out all the way with it and buy Ryobi
I bought a milwaukee brushed kit 6 or 7 years ago, used it for light woodworking, taking care of my appartment building and renovating a deck. Don't think that "brushed" Milwaukee is a bad tool. Its worth the difference with Ryobi / Mastercraft / Craftsman and so on (IMHO). Whether you need Fuel or not is another question.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17795 posts
2434 upvotes
Langley
HernanDavid wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 12:42 pm
12v? Is it good enough?
For some tasks, yes. For others, no. This is great for a typical homeowner who does minor projects. I have Dewalt 20v at home and an M12 driver and drill for work, but I don't do much drilling or screwing. I'd rather use the m12 driver around the house than the Dewalt because of the lighter size and the fact that the 1.5ah battery fits right in the handle.

If building a deck or shed are the biggest projects you're likely to do, then this kit would be ideal. Although you'd need some other things like a corded saw, etc.

Ideally, I'd have the m12 impact driver, drill, and ratchet. Then add on Dewalt 20v or Milwaukee m18 impact wrench for the car, chainsaw/recip for pruning trees, a hedge trimmer, an edger, and a circular saw. And and oscillating tool in either size.

Everyone is different, but I don't see much of a point to an 18/20v impact driver when the m12 impact driver is fine for 3" screws and smaller lag bolts, and a larger impact wrench can do mechanical work and tire changes, and any lag bolts that are too much for the m12. I need a pretty powerful impact because I need 150ftlbs for my tires, and there's no gap in capability between that an the m12 impact driver. The m12 says 1000inchpounds, which is about 80ftlbs, and my impact on low does up to 100ftlbs. No need for a fullsize impact driver.

And I don't find that I'm ever needing a 18/20v hammer drill, the m12 drill can do everything I need, just a little slower. I've never needed to drill into concrete, and if do need to in the future, I can rent one or buy a cheaper corded version. Or just get a standalone 18/20v hammer drill at that point.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2763 upvotes
RCGA wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 8:20 pm
Nonsense. Quality tools with brushed motors have been produced for decades, many of them still doing the job.