[Home Depot] Milwaukee Fuel impact and hammer drill kit $350 ymmv

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2019 12:53 pm
[OP]
Nov 23, 2012
24 posts
72 upvotes

[Home Depot] Milwaukee Fuel impact and hammer drill kit $350 ymmv

Lukewarm at most but I'm tempted at these kits since I lucked out on the Fuel Impact Wrench kit price error a while back. You guys think these kits could be had for a lower price?

- $350 for the gen 3 with 1 5amp and 1 2amp batteries
- $400 for the gen 2 with 2 5amp batteries

Anyways, I'm leaning towards the gen 2 kit since I heard the newer ones had problems
Hopefully this helps anyone actually looking to buy these kits.

** This was from the South Keys location in Ottawa.
Images
  • IMG_20190728_174932.jpg
  • IMG_20190728_174635.jpg
Last edited by Indoballer on Jul 28th, 2019 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
14 replies
Dec 29, 2017
158 posts
78 upvotes
I got the gen 2 kit with a 5.0 and 2.0 battery, love it. Spent a lot of money on more Milwaukee stuff. Noticeable improvement over Ridgid (same parent company).
Dec 6, 2017
46 posts
52 upvotes
350 instead of 500 on the HD website is definitely better than lukewarm but for the love of God OP can you put "YMMV" or similar in the thread title? This obviously only applies to select stores
[OP]
Nov 23, 2012
24 posts
72 upvotes
purplegreendave wrote:
Jul 28th, 2019 9:42 pm
350 instead of 500 on the HD website is definitely better than lukewarm but for the love of God OP can you put "YMMV" or similar in the thread title? This obviously only applies to select stores
Sorry. Definitely YMMV, but these prices were actually the price listed on the website for all locations in my area, about a week ago. Didn't have time to go then but was surprised to see the lowered price when i went to the store today since it is listed at a much higher price on the website now. Just a guess but it might be an unadvertised price that is part of the Milwaukee Month promo, and maybe that's why it does not have the standard clearance yellow tag. That being said, this is still very YMMV.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
6692 posts
1255 upvotes
Mont-Royal
a newbie question: cna u use a hex bit in a drill or it's only for impact driver?

and also, does impact driver allow you to drill holes in concrete?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Jan 12, 2004
547 posts
122 upvotes
L4cky wrote:
Jul 31st, 2019 11:25 pm
a newbie question: cna u use a hex bit in a drill or it's only for impact driver?

and also, does impact driver allow you to drill holes in concrete?
You can put a hex bit in a drill no problem. the vast majority of homeowners that own a drill likely won't own an impact driver as well and will use hex bits with their drill.

an impact driver is for driving in screws. You will not be able to drill into concrete with it, however you will be able to put the screw in after the hole has been drilled.

A hammer drill is what's made for drilling holes in concrete. You could always use a regular drill, but a hammer drill makes it A LOT easier.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
6692 posts
1255 upvotes
Mont-Royal
Mr Snuff wrote:
Aug 1st, 2019 12:52 am
You can put a hex bit in a drill no problem. the vast majority of homeowners that own a drill likely won't own an impact driver as well and will use hex bits with their drill.

an impact driver is for driving in screws. You will not be able to drill into concrete with it, however you will be able to put the screw in after the hole has been drilled.

A hammer drill is what's made for drilling holes in concrete. You could always use a regular drill, but a hammer drill makes it A LOT easier.
thanks!

I saw there were impact ready drive bits, so I thought it was only for impact drivers.

I have the milwaukee 12v fuel version hammer drill and had a hard time drilling into concrete.

Is concrete anchor/screws more solid than wood?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Jan 12, 2004
547 posts
122 upvotes
L4cky wrote:
Aug 1st, 2019 9:59 am
thanks!

I saw there were impact ready drive bits, so I thought it was only for impact drivers.

I have the milwaukee 12v fuel version hammer drill and had a hard time drilling into concrete.

Is concrete anchor/screws more solid than wood?
Definitely. You'll want to use concrete specific screws, usually referred to as tapcons.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/catego ... crews.html

You'll also want to make sure you're using a masonry bit when drilling into concrete as well as using the proper hammer setting on the drill itself. I have a 18v milwaukee hammer drill and my hand was still hurting after an afternoon of installing some blinds into my condo's concrete ceilings. I'd imagine using a 12v would be noticeably more difficult. If you really want to see the difference, try using hammer mode then switching to normal drill mode. it's a night and day difference.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
6692 posts
1255 upvotes
Mont-Royal
Mr Snuff wrote:
Aug 1st, 2019 4:02 pm
Definitely. You'll want to use concrete specific screws, usually referred to as tapcons.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/catego ... crews.html

You'll also want to make sure you're using a masonry bit when drilling into concrete as well as using the proper hammer setting on the drill itself. I have a 18v milwaukee hammer drill and my hand was still hurting after an afternoon of installing some blinds into my condo's concrete ceilings. I'd imagine using a 12v would be noticeably more difficult. If you really want to see the difference, try using hammer mode then switching to normal drill mode. it's a night and day difference.
is tapcon a brand name ? or a screw type?

the 12v hammer drill, took me like 40 minuts to drill a hole in hammer with lot of force and i was sweating and hands hurting.

Ended up buying a SDS instead, took me 2 minutes. lol
- Training 101
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
6553 posts
858 upvotes
Toronto
L4cky wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2019 1:29 am

the 12v hammer drill, took me like 40 minuts to drill a hole in hammer with lot of force and i was sweating and hands hurting.

Tapcon is a screw type. If you click on the link in the previous message you will see brands and sizes. They are not cheap.

There are also concrete nails that may be cheaper.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2011
1254 posts
408 upvotes
Toronto
L4cky wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2019 1:29 am

Yes SDS is awesome, but i question what type of hole are you drilling that requires you 40min of drilling into the concrete?
my 12V Fuel hammer drill can do it in less than a minute, for a 3/8" sized kwik-bolt anchor. SDS would take me like 20sec for that....
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
6692 posts
1255 upvotes
Mont-Royal
Inno wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2019 4:14 am
Tapcon is a screw type. If you click on the link in the previous message you will see brands and sizes. They are not cheap.

There are also concrete nails that may be cheaper.
I bought some duradrive screws in amazon, i hope they works :S
yellowmp5 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2019 7:24 am
Yes SDS is awesome, but i question what type of hole are you drilling that requires you 40min of drilling into the concrete?
my 12V Fuel hammer drill can do it in less than a minute, for a 3/8" sized kwik-bolt anchor. SDS would take me like 20sec for that....
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B009K1HMBK/ref ... 00_TE_dp_1 This is the drill I used. Yes, no way under 12 minutes. The fuel m12 is better than this bosch 12v hammer drill, but I couldn't use much the fuel as my bit broke when using it.
- Training 101