[OP]
Jul 11, 2015
37 posts
13 upvotes
Edmonton, AB

[Home Depot] Milwaukee M12 Drill Driver/Impact Driver Combo Kits $129/$149

Deal Link:
Price:
I usually find out about these sales through RFD but I was surprised that I didn't see this one up on here, i saw it in the flyer which runs until today (Sept 28). I have been on the look-out for these for a while. Prices seem to match with amazon's "lowest" price. Few older RFD threads show slightly higher prices during previous sales. I sense that whatever stock doesn't sell will be put on a significant clearance price. There are two kits, one comes with a hammer drill while the other is a regular drill, however the specs of the impact drill is different in both kits as well. I bought both and plan on selling my unused set to a co-worker.

Model # 2494-22 | Store SKU # 1000672700
M12 Cordless LITHIUM-ION 2-Tool Combo Kit - $129.00
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.m12- ... 72700.html

Model # 2497-22 | Store SKU # 1000712409
M12 Cordless Lithium-ion Two-Piece Combo Kit - $149.00
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.m12- ... 12409.html
kingofthegrill wrote: Update: I just picked both kits up and found out that the 1/4" Hex Impact is the same in both kits (2462–-20).
Last edited by kingofthegrill on Sep 27th, 2016 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2013
3620 posts
2526 upvotes
YUL/YVR
Too bad I only want the drill driver :(
Apr 26, 2011
179 posts
64 upvotes
VICTORIA
I bought the Bosch 18V $65 drill from Amazon.ca.

Is this significantly better? Do I really need the impact driver?
Last edited by trilby on Sep 27th, 2016 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4136 posts
1678 upvotes
Toronto
No Fuel... No Care.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1459 upvotes
Richmond
I bought the drill and driver set for the same price ($129) a couple of months ago, but at the time it also came with the bonus of an extra 4 amp-hour battery (retails for $99 on its own). No complaints, works great, ample torque, long battery life even with the smaller in-handle batteries. You might want to opt for the hammer drill if you're planning to do any concrete or stone drilling. The "Hammer" setting is just an optional setting on the torque dial.

Some information on the different Milwaukee models: http://toolguyd.com/milwaukee-m12-brush ... s-drivers/
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1459 upvotes
Richmond
Repooc wrote: No Fuel... No Care.
No question the brushless "Fuel" models are better in terms of higher torque, better temperature control, and potentially longer lifespan. But honestly the price premium isn't worth it for most people considering that the regular models are very reliable and have more than enough torque.
Dec 26, 2015
162 posts
73 upvotes
nowhere
So you know it's THE Home Depot now.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1459 upvotes
Richmond
trilby wrote: Do I really need the impact driver?
The drill is better for most drilling and screwing jobs. The torque clutch allows you to drive in screws to the right depth with good control.

But the impact driver is better for nuts and bolts and difficult hex-head screws. It has more peak torque, with the rapid impact helping to loosen stuck bolts and giving good control of how much you tighten them. It's also more compact than the drill/driver for getting into small spaces.
Jun 29, 2009
254 posts
112 upvotes
Edmonton
Does the hammer drill combo have a setting for regular drilling? I just want one for around the house, like drilling into drywall and things like that. I don't need a hammer drill for that, but it'd be great if it had that added functionality.
[OP]
Jul 11, 2015
37 posts
13 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Faith24 wrote: You might want to opt for the hammer drill if you're planning to do any concrete or stone drilling. The "Hammer" setting is just an optional setting on the torque dial.
cha0tik wrote: Does the hammer drill combo have a setting for regular drilling? I just want one for around the house, like drilling into drywall and things like that. I don't need a hammer drill for that, but it'd be great if it had that added functionality.
From what I read from Faith24's post above , yes it is just a separate setting. I am going to pick mine up from Windermere location right now.
But if you don't need the hammer drill capabilities why not just buy the cheaper kit ($129) which has the regular drill? I think that kit has a better impact (more torque) too. Edmonton has lots of stock of the $129 kit but less for the $149 (hammer drill) kit.
Deal Fanatic
May 8, 2002
5602 posts
2271 upvotes
I got the drill/driver M12 combo for $99 a little while back from home depot

Insert time machine comments here, but just letting people know that it does drop that low periodically...
[OP]
Jul 11, 2015
37 posts
13 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
joshmxpx wrote: I got the drill/driver M12 combo for $99 a little while back from home depot

Insert time machine comments here, but just letting people know that it does drop that low periodically...
I appreciate these type of comments - I'm not sure why people resort to the "time machine" comments...without feedback like yours it is difficult to judge whether or not this is, in fact, a "Hot Deal". Since yours was for $99 and another user had the same price but with an additional 4AH I am a little disappointed that i jumped on this deal so quickly. Live and learn.

Update: I just picked both kits up and found out that the 1/4" Hex Impact is the same in both kits (2462–-20). I also saw an 18V Drill/Driver combo set reg $319 on sale for $179. Not sure if I made the right decision here.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1565 posts
1323 upvotes
Toronto
I do commercial electrical for a living.
These 12V are way better than the 18V, in my case at least.
They are compact, light, fit into tight corners and just seem to be handier.
I also got a little 12V SDS brushless,; its the niftiest thing.

The impact is better for screws I think.
Even with a junkie worn out bit I'm still able to drive #8s and #10s into wood, steel and concrete pretty good.
The clutch selector on the drill is meh.
Drill for drilling.
Driver for driving.

For home I would definitely take 12V over 18V.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5087 posts
960 upvotes
Peterborough
cha0tik wrote: Does the hammer drill combo have a setting for regular drilling? I just want one for around the house, like drilling into drywall and things like that. I don't need a hammer drill for that, but it'd be great if it had that added functionality.
Yes it does.

Hammer drill does come in iseful from time to time.
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
12979 posts
11821 upvotes
If you do not need a drill or impact driver right now, I will wait for them go on sale. I purchased a M12 impact with 1 battery and charger for $35 and a M12 hammer drill with 2 batteries and charger for $45 within last 6 months.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $35 5GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, Zoomer $36 6GB plan,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet, $0 FPL home phone.
[OP]
Jul 11, 2015
37 posts
13 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
embguy wrote: If you do not need a drill or impact driver right now, I will wait for them go on sale. I purchased a M12 impact with 1 battery and charger for $35 and a M12 hammer drill with 2 batteries and charger for $45 within last 6 months.
Astonished Face That is a steal! I have been trying to get these together for around $100 for a while but must have missed those sales within the last 6 months. And when it is on sale is there sufficient stock? Last time the hammer drill with battery (maybe 2) + charger was $50 me and 2 other guys with our cell phones out on the RFD thread were looking high and low for the "2 left in stock". I ended up giving up. Customer service was no help. They said "it should be there". Haha.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
12979 posts
11821 upvotes
kingofthegrill wrote:
embguy wrote: If you do not need a drill or impact driver right now, I will wait for them go on sale. I purchased a M12 impact with 1 battery and charger for $35 and a M12 hammer drill with 2 batteries and charger for $45 within last 6 months.
Astonished Face That is a steal! I have been trying to get these together for around $100 for a while but must have missed those sales within the last 6 months. And when it is on sale is there sufficient stock? Last time the hammer drill with battery (maybe 2) + charger was $50 me and 2 other guys with our cell phones out on the RFD thread were looking high and low for the "2 left in stock". I ended up giving up. Customer service was no help. They said "it should be there". Haha.
When HD is doing the final clearance sale, HD will take the item off homedepot.ca. You cannot order online and pickup at store. The stock level is limited. You need to call to find out the stock level and prepare to go there ASAP.

Another way to catch the final clearance sale is to buy now and hoping for clearance sale within next 90 days. For example, I purchased a Husky racing jack for $80. Within couple of months, the price went down twice to $60 then $50. When I returned and repurchased at $60, the 90 days return period starts over again. As long as HD computer has the lower price, you can return and repurchase at the lower price within 90 days. You don't even have to bring your item back to return. It is done on paper only and painless.

If you buy it now, you can get a price adjustment when price goes down during BF or X'mas sales. You can return it after boxing day if the item does not go lower than your purchase price.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $35 5GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, Zoomer $36 6GB plan,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet, $0 FPL home phone.
[OP]
Jul 11, 2015
37 posts
13 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
The hammer drill combo set no longer appears on the HD website.
I returned (and repurchased) the $129.99 kit to take advantage of the free battery event currently going on at The Home Depot. Now I feel a little better about this deal.
Jul 24, 2012
266 posts
132 upvotes
Canada
cowbunpants wrote: I do commercial electrical for a living.
These 12V are way better than the 18V, in my case at least.
They are compact, light, fit into tight corners and just seem to be handier.
I also got a little 12V SDS brushless,; its the niftiest thing.

The impact is better for screws I think.
Even with a junkie worn out bit I'm still able to drive #8s and #10s into wood, steel and concrete pretty good.
The clutch selector on the drill is meh.
Drill for drilling.
Driver for driving.

For home I would definitely take 12V over 18V.
It definitely does depend on your usage, and this is coming from a commercial electrician as well. I purchased both the M12 kit and M18 Fuel kit this year (to replace my Rigid garbage) but for different reasons. I could not only own the M12 kit, neither the drill or impact are powerful enough for certain things I need to do. In fact I have yet to use the drill because any drilling I need to do usually needs a more powerful drill. However the impact is amazing. Even though it isn't a fuel the battery life is fantastic and it's so light that I keep it on my belt at all times with a few long driver bits and it functions as my screwdriver and works well for lighter applications. If I'm screwing into q-deck constantly (or any heavier gauge steel) or driving long screws into wood then I pull out my M18 impact. The M12 "works" but it's slower and harder on the drill and batteries. Mostly I'm impatient and the M18 is much more efficient for those heavy duty tasks. Unless I need to use a hole saw, step bit or auger I always use an impact. Easier on the wrist and lighter to carry.

I agree that for home use you'll probably be fine with the M12 provided you don't plan to do anything to intense.

I grabbed the $129 M12 kit a few months ago and scored the free 4Ah battery. My Fuel kit was from KMS and it came with another free 5Ah battery. Morale of the story is there are always free battery offers from the various retailers in addition to possible sales provided you watch for them.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)