Expired Hot Deals

[Home Depot] Milwaukee M12 Tools Free Battery Offer - HOT!

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 7th, 2019 9:13 am
Nov 8, 2004
34 posts
7 upvotes
IMHO M12 Fuel impact driver/hammer drill are top notch in the class and much better than no-fuel ones, and can cover most of your home needs.
I would buy the two M12 Fuel ones instead. More fun to use.
You can always add other M12 tools when you really need.
FYI, the M12 Hackzall saw really needs a bigger battery than 1.5ah.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.m12- ... 60184.html
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.m12- ... 60144.html
skanji wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 10:51 am
Thanks folks - now that I have confidence in the M12 for my needs, is this set a good price/combo?

I don't need the extra tools, but figure, 2 drivers, 3 batteries with a saw that I can use, and maybe sell the multi tool, is a good deal compared to what I'm seeing out there...am I off??
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2001
6016 posts
39 upvotes
Ottawa
BacktoBack wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 11:12 am
IMHO M12 Fuel impact driver/hammer drill are top notch in the class and much better than no-fuel ones, and can cover most of your home needs.
I would buy the two M12 Fuel ones instead. More fun to use.
You can always add other M12 tools when you really need.
FYI, the M12 Hackzall saw really needs a bigger battery than 1.5ah.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.m12- ... 60184.html
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.m12- ... 60144.html
I looked at this, and the only reason I was hesitating was only 1 battery included for each.... :(

I need two batteries for sure...the cost of an extra M12 battery offsets the deal, but your point on the Fuel being superior to the non-Fuel is fair for sure...
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
3077 posts
404 upvotes
skanji wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 11:18 am
I looked at this, and the only reason I was hesitating was only 1 battery included for each.... :(

I need two batteries for sure...the cost of an extra M12 battery offsets the deal, but your point on the Fuel being superior to the non-Fuel is fair for sure...
Both sets linked have 2 batteries each.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2001
6016 posts
39 upvotes
Ottawa
azn_dan wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 11:57 am
Both sets linked have 2 batteries each.
OMG, the photo only shows one!!! OK, this changes things for sure...

Thanks everyone.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
6305 posts
752 upvotes
Toronto
skanji wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 2:12 pm
OMG, the photo only shows one!!! OK, this changes things for sure...

Thanks everyone.
Actually shows two. One is installed in the base of the tool.

Note that these are 2.0ah batteries. Some kits only come with 1.5ah.
Dec 12, 2012
254 posts
241 upvotes
Saskatchewan
skanji wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 10:51 am
Thanks folks - now that I have confidence in the M12 for my needs, is this set a good price/combo?
http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-749547-1 ... &sid=rfdcb

I don't need the extra tools, but figure, 2 drivers, 3 batteries with a saw that I can use, and maybe sell the multi tool, is a good deal compared to what I'm seeing out there...am I off??
The kit that is in that link are non-FUEL which are good enough for most homeowners. Yes, typically FUEL/brushless tools are better than non-brushed ones (as linked). Though, depending on what you need, the extra torque, power, or even battery life are more about convenience. Not all FUEL based tools are necessarily better, for instance both the M12 Hacksaw and M12 Ratchet are smaller in respects to their FUEL counterparts, yes you get more power but the tool itself is larger which might be a disadvantage depending on what you want to use it for.

Now, if you were to do major remodeling, repair, or you are a contractor, getting brushless tools are almost a no brainer as time is worth something. The less time you have to charge the batteries, the addition of power (speed and usefulness of the tool), are something that needs be considered in these circumstances.

I have an older version of the non-FUEL kit that you linked, the impact driver and drill are sufficient for home use. My dad uses the same kit for plumbing and has access to his M18 tools (non-FUEL), if needed for the extra power. The M12 Hacksaw is very useful in tight scenarios, such as under a sink, cutting toilet tank bolts, etc. For small jobs, the Hacksaw will suffice with a 1.5Ah battery, anything that takes 15mins or longer will require the 3.0Ah CP/XC or larger battery. The flashlight is somewhat useful if you don't already have one already, not great but it's included. As for the multi-tool, it has it uses, I have a Dremel MM30 that has been handy from time to time, to be honest you likely need at least an M18 for decent runtime, getting rid of it might be a better option as the attachments are pricey and it's really a niche item.
Nov 28, 2011
337 posts
372 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
After a month of use I can say that I don't like the electronic clutch on the drill.
After stopping it tends to over tighten with a follow up 2nd trigger pull. I wish I had a torque meter to demonstrate this.
I much prefer a mechanical clutch. The torque stops feels repetitively more consistent.
Nov 9, 2010
30 posts
29 upvotes
sherb
badger11 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 3:24 pm
After a month of use I can say that I don't like the electronic clutch on the drill.
After stopping it tends to over tighten with a follow up 2nd trigger pull. I wish I had a torque meter to demonstrate this.
I much prefer a mechanical clutch. The torque stops feels repetitively more consistent.
Agree with you 100%
Feb 23, 2010
447 posts
169 upvotes
EDMONTON
skanji wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 10:32 am
Folks, looking to replace my Ryobi drill for general use around the house. Not doing any major project, but need one around the house for sure.

Looking at this set:
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.m12- ... 85126.html

Reading the posts here, hearing the M12 isn't as favoured as M18, but for my use, what you get and the price point, would you folks advise something better than this?
You'll be fine. I have both. Framed and put decking on my deck with M18, then gave it to my dad for him to do his basement. Finished the stair framing, railing, privacy fences and BBQ zone with the M12 set in your photo. 18V tools definitely put screws in faster, but this is a very capable set of 12V tools. Only other 12V line I would recommend is the Bosch one, because their 12V tools are smaller and lighter making them good for small projects around the house.
Nov 28, 2011
337 posts
372 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
Yep. M12 kit is very capable for general use.
However if you are a power guy wanting/needing the extra Umph then you'll be more happy with the M18.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2008
1037 posts
173 upvotes
I believe 18V are overkill for most day to day jobs. They provide power you seldomly need but once you do you must have it as a backup option (either battery one or 120V black and decker one from Rona). The 12V are awesome because they are smaller and lighter and will do 90% of work.

I bought the non fuel drill/driver/sawzall for 156 when it was sold in hd due to unnecessary weight and power my brushless 18v ridgid provide. But once i was driling 1" hole with spade bit my m12 got stuck powerless in OSB board so i pulled my ridgid drill which had no issues whatsoever. The M12 might have been able to do it if I had no choice but I didnt want to stress it too much since I had a tool that was meant to do tougher jobs.

So i think you need both if you are doing projects all the time. Big guns are heavy but they have their use. M12 is light and provide power for 90% of jobs you run into.

Another reason to have both is for ability to do continuous job without changing tools: I changed doors in house and it was great to have more than one rotary tool since i needed one drill to make wide hole (1.5" i believe) for handles, other to drill smaller hole for latch, third with drill bit mounted for hinge pilot screws holes and forth with driver bits for screws. Imagine having one and repeating process of changing tools for each step on one door only, and then multiply it by 10-15 doors.
Dec 12, 2012
254 posts
241 upvotes
Saskatchewan
M12 is a very capable platform, the tools are constantly evolving and even the older tools are capable at doing the work/job within reason.

Where the M18, or other 18v/20v platforms tend to shine are tools that have high power requirements, when considering the work, runtime, etc.
Tools that fit this category are: Circular saws, table saws, vacuums, grinders, reciprocating saws, multitools, die grinder, sanders, etc.

If you are doing any demolition work that requires a reciprocating saw, the M12 might get you started, though power and endurance is limited compared to the M18 version, or rather a full size reciprocating saw. The stroke length of the reciprocating saws vary from company and battery platform, typically smaller ones have a much shorter stroke length, which requires the tool to work harder and longer to complete the same cut as a full size one. The M12 FUEL circular saw is capable for cutting 2x4s for fences, though anything thicker (4x4) or cutting a certain angles requires multiple cuts. M18 circular saws tend to have a greater capacity and can rip through wood very quickly as well (15-30% better [est]). The other tools listed are more common sense, though maybe in the feature though different chemistries and better brushless motors it may be possible in the future.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
6305 posts
752 upvotes
Toronto
yellowmp5 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 5:54 pm
Boo....no free battery for m12 fuel impact wrenches...Angry Face
Or the $139 Fuel Impact Driver kit. :-(
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2004
4510 posts
540 upvotes
I've been using the M12 fuel drill, driver, Hackzall and circular saw for the past few weeks.
I'm very impressed with the performance of these tools.
I feel like one of the biggest benefits of the M12 system is the weight and size, especially with a 2.0 battery. The drill and driver are so easy to use with one hand with the low weight. And there's plenty of power to drive screws!
The Hackzall and circular saw need at least 3.0 batteries for proper runtime.
"I live my life a quarter-mile at a time, for those 10 seconds or less... i'm free."

11 Never Summer Heritage, 08 Rome Targa
08 Nitro Eero Ettala 155, 07 Rome 390
07 Capita Outdoor Living 154
Cervelo Soloist Carbon Ultegra