Expired Hot Deals

[Home Depot] Milwaukee Tool M18 18V Hammer Drill/Impact Driver Combo Kit (2-Tool & 1.5Ah Bat), Charger, Tool Bag for $198 w/FS

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2020 9:46 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16768 posts
1671 upvotes
Thornhill
althegreat wrote: reallllly?

has you tried to drill an one inch hole in a 4x4 before?
tried it! ( with 1.5ah then 3 or higher)
report back after.

I guarantee you that a 1.5/2,0 battery powered drill will be NOT go through, yet the 1.5ah battery will still be full.
it just not giving enough power.
Why would you wanna do this with a drill? Grab the impact driver and a Bosch Daredevil bit.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16768 posts
1671 upvotes
Thornhill
Scote64 wrote: If you're really concerned about power, here you go:

$150 off Milwaukee M18 12 amp-hour "High Output" battery with code "feb150", making it only $199. :)
https://bcfasteners.com/shop/milwaukee- ... ttery-pack
Lol. It must be heavy. I have a 9.0Ah on my circular saw and it's heavy. Can't imagine putting that on a drill or driver.

bjl
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16768 posts
1671 upvotes
Thornhill
swd123 wrote: Generally larger AH batteries have addition parallel sets of cells which allow for more current than a single set of cells. More current = more power.
This makes sense, since they're all 18V. You won't be adding more in series.

bjl
Jul 18, 2007
403 posts
158 upvotes
Markham
Scote64 wrote: There should be no difference in drill power with the different battery capacities unless the battery is low on charge, or it's old or defective and it's dying. The capacity is more about how long the tool will run, although it's true that for high-drain tools like saws a too-small battery will start to sag in power delivery much faster than a proper-capacity battery. But while a 7/8" hole is big, I doubt it takes anything like 15 minutes of continuous drilling to go through a 2x4. Check your 1.5ah battery - it may be due for replacement.
I thought so to, but i didnt just try on one 1.5ah, i tried it on a couple of other 1.5ah fully charged too. Thought it was my hammer drill that was defective, but as soon as i put in a 3.0ah, boom no problems.. and on a gen 2 hammer drill

just to add the 1.5ah batteries did not get drained, it just didnt give enough power to power through. and sorry i meant to say it was two 2x4 doubled together.
Mar 25, 2015
360 posts
132 upvotes
where fire and disco…
there is a phenomenon in batteries called the peukert effect
which is basically, a higher amp draw for a shorter time will drain a battery somewhat faster than the same watts drawn with a lower amperage but a higher time

so my guess is that the lower amphr battery is shutting down due to the chip telling it the higher amps needed to finish the hole cannot be deliver
due to the peukert effect during the previous drilling period (because you still have juice left in the battery, try letting it come back to rest/equalization after then finish the hole)
but a higher amphr battery will be able to absorb this effect to a greater extent thus enabling the finishing of the hole

when i lived offgrid, after charging the batteries, or in high drain situations, it took up to 20 minutes for the batteries to reach their true state of charge
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.
Thomas Jefferson
Apr 14, 2017
40 posts
31 upvotes
It’s not the capacity or the run time, it’s all about the voltage drop, as soon as a tool starts working, voltage drops and the drop is less on higher amp batteries. So theoretically, higher amp battery will have more power due to more consistent voltage
Jul 18, 2007
403 posts
158 upvotes
Markham
rainingdiscountedfire wrote: there is a phenomenon in batteries called the peukert effect
which is basically, a higher amp draw for a shorter time will drain a battery somewhat faster than the same watts drawn with a lower amperage but a higher time

so my guess is that the lower amphr battery is shutting down due to the chip telling it the higher amps needed to finish the hole cannot be deliver
due to the peukert effect during the previous drilling period (because you still have juice left in the battery, try letting it come back to rest/equalization after then finish the hole)
but a higher amphr battery will be able to absorb this effect to a greater extent thus enabling the finishing of the hole

when i lived offgrid, after charging the batteries, or in high drain situations, it took up to 20 minutes for the batteries to reach their true state of charge
cmosve wrote: It’s not the capacity or the run time, it’s all about the voltage drop, as soon as a tool starts working, voltage drops and the drop is less on higher amp batteries. So theoretically, higher amp battery will have more power due to more consistent voltage
Makes sense for both your explanations.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2504 posts
2475 upvotes
Vancouver
networksend wrote: $150 off Milwaukee M18 12 amp-hour "High Output" battery with code "feb150", making it only $199.
https://bcfasteners.com/shop/milwaukee- ... ttery-pack

"This coupon has expired." Damn
If you're still bummed about it, the same coupon is back on this weekend.
Also "feb90" for $90 off the M18 XC 6.0 amp-hour battery, making it $129.