• May 8th, 2019 8:42 am
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10634 posts
2856 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
lmx116 wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 10:54 am
And I don't see Amazon keeping up their Echo / Alexa with Mini, looks like Amazon loosing this market?
Hard to compete with Google giving them away for free. Google is buying market share.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
1787 posts
578 upvotes
Toronto
Does anybody have any comments regarding NEST HELLO, in GTA summar/winter with respect to temperature/weather etc?
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
1969 posts
1318 upvotes
lmx116 wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 10:56 am
Up Voted, but average how many family indeed has that many visitors that need this cool little camera working as a high tech "ding dong"?
If you have teenage kids, its amazing ... if one of them has a disability or special needs, it's a must have ... just wish we had gotten one sooner.
Last edited by Jojo_Madman on Apr 11th, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
1363 posts
400 upvotes
Montreal, QC
flyingpostman wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 11:11 am
Our home doesn’t have a doorbell and hence no existing wiring. I was looking at Nest Hello as we have the thermostat, but it seems like a royal pain in the ass to install if you don’t have the needed wiring, you even need a damn chime box. Then I remembered that hardly anyone ever comes to our door unless we are expecting them, so what’s the point? I might set up a couple outdoor camera’s but most of the outdoor cameras are ugly as hell and the Nest requires drilling a 7/8” hole to get the damn plug through. Stupid design.
and wireless doorbells as well as video doorbells are quite inexpensive these days
Mar 7, 2011
151 posts
132 upvotes
Nest Hello works fine in Toronto weather. I have been using it for a year now. No issues. Without subscription it's pretty much useless. Video quality is nice. Bandwidth usage is around 150 gig per month with highest quality video settings. If you have home hub then video will pop up automatically when someone rings the door bell. Biggest cons is there is a delay of upto 10 sec after someone rings the door bell. You will eventually get used to it. Face detection is awesome. Nest app will ask you to name the people it sees. After you name them notification will state the name when that person shows up at door. I don't have nest x lock yet but I have read somewhere that Google will add face detection to unlock your door. If you are in nest eco system I would highly recommend to buy this over other options out there. Be prepared to pay yearly subscription of CAD 50 + tax.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3581 posts
737 upvotes
geogolem wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 11:46 am
Does anybody have any comments regarding NEST HELLO, in GTA summar/winter with respect to temperature/weather etc?
I installed it on one of the coldest days this past February and it might've gone down for a couple of minutes once. It could be because the wire was partially exposed from the hole from the previous door bell which I will have to cover up when it gets warmer. It uploads about 75 gigs a month on medium quality.
Last edited by boonjaca on Apr 11th, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are you a new parent and looking for freebies for your newborn, go here:
Freebies for your Newborn
Updated December 2018
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
1787 posts
578 upvotes
Toronto
yashgandhi wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 11:56 am
Nest Hello works fine in Toronto weather. I have been using it for a year now. No issues. Without subscription it's pretty much useless. Video quality is nice. Bandwidth usage is around 150 gig per month with highest quality video settings. If you have home hub then video will pop up automatically when someone rings the door bell. Biggest cons is there is a delay of upto 10 sec after someone rings the door bell. You will eventually get used to it. Face detection is awesome. Nest app will ask you to name the people it sees. After you name them notification will state the name when that person shows up at door. I don't have nest x lock yet but I have read somewhere that Google will add face detection to unlock your door. If you are in nest eco system I would highly recommend to buy this over other options out there. Be prepared to pay yearly subscription of CAD 50 + tax.
Why do you think it is useless without the subscription?

Don't video, notifications etc. still work without a subscription. Without a subscription you get a 3 hour cloud recording... Whilst with a subscription you get 30 days of history.

With a subcription you can get "familiar face alerts".. without a subscription you can just get alerts.

I think thats how i understand it.. so while the subscription does have benefits - i dont think its 100% necessary as there are still some benefits of having the product even without the subscription... IMO..

EDIT: I have several nest products; and I plan to get this doorbell eventually.. ive been on the fence about it.. I really dont want to pay a subcription fee but if my understanding is correct the doorbell should do what i want even without one.. so just looking for feedback confirmation on my understanding.
Mar 7, 2011
151 posts
132 upvotes
geogolem wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 12:31 pm
Why do you think it is useless without the subscription?

Don't video, notifications etc. still work without a subscription. Without a subscription you get a 3 hour cloud recording... Whilst with a subscription you get 30 days of history.

With a subcription you can get "familiar face alerts".. without a subscription you can just get alerts.

I think thats how i understand it.. so while the subscription does have benefits - i dont think its 100% necessary as there are still some benefits of having the product even without the subscription... IMO..

EDIT: I have several nest products; and I plan to get this doorbell eventually.. ive been on the fence about it.. I really dont want to pay a subcription fee but if my understanding is correct the doorbell should do what i want even without one.. so just looking for feedback confirmation on my understanding.
You don't get 3h of video recording. You get snap shots of motions instead and that too is spotty at best. Only thing hello can do without subscription is live video. With 10 sec of delay you might miss the person or just see back of the person.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2008
4264 posts
448 upvotes
Scarborough
Took a bit of refreshing and had to pick a store even though for online ship, but it's semi working
It only takes $40 off from the nest hello
FWIW...
Help Contribute to our Wedding Fund :) A wise fortune cookie once told me this:
"A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist"
FS: Christmas Window Decor :lol:
FS: 10mm H&R Trak+ wheel spacers, 5x100/112, 57.1c/b
Aug 20, 2003
426 posts
246 upvotes
Markham
It didn't work for me online either. I ended up buying it in store. The cost of the google mini is automatically deducted when purchasing in store.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
1787 posts
578 upvotes
Toronto
yashgandhi wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 12:39 pm
You don't get 3h of video recording. You get snap shots of motions instead and that too is spotty at best. Only thing hello can do without subscription is live video. With 10 sec of delay you might miss the person or just see back of the person.
lol.. should put a sign up. doorbell has 15 second delay. Please wait at least 20 seconds after ringing the bell for a response.. lol
Nov 8, 2015
275 posts
262 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
The Source has an offer on this as well:

Buy Google Home Mini for $79.99 , get Nest Hello Video Doorbell for $179.99

Can combine with PSP.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1374 posts
823 upvotes
Waterloo
habuyeths wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 1:29 pm
The Source has an offer on this as well:

Buy Google Home Mini for $79.99 , get Nest Hello Video Doorbell for $179.99

Can combine with PSP.
WE'RE SORRY!
OUR SITE IS CURRENTLY DOWN FOR MAINTENANCE.
Please try back at a later time

How convenient.
Nov 22, 2017
258 posts
191 upvotes
When I click on the nest doorbell on HD, the promo is this lol

PROMOTIONS APPLY
Add any one (1) Google Mini (1001094011, 1001088583) to your cart and receive it for free when you purchase a Philips Hue Ambiance Smart Light 4 Pack (1001088571). While quantities last. Limited time only. Both items must be added to cart to qualify for this offer.

Not even the same brand of product