• Oct 14th, 2017 12:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
3264 posts
1396 upvotes
Canada

[Home Depot] Pelonis 1500 watt Oil-Filled Radiant Heater 59.98

Saw this Pelonis 1500 watt oil-filled radiant heater in this weeks Home Depot flyer. Looks like it's a 'special buy', so not showing on their website. Looks like a good deal.
32 replies
Nov 23, 2016
82 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
Daijoubu wrote: Good for garage use? Vs forced air unit?
Depends on your garage setup. Size?, insulated?, and what you use your garage for.

Generally speaking for a big and un insulated garage, forced air won't be as effective.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
3264 posts
1396 upvotes
Canada
Anyone know if Pelonis is a good brand?

How does this compare to the Delonghi brand?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
9539 posts
2258 upvotes
Montreal, QC
sweetcheese wrote: Depends on your garage setup. Size?, insulated?, and what you use your garage for.

Generally speaking for a big and un insulated garage, forced air won't be as effective.
Uninsulated with plenty drafts lol, so radiative heat it is then?
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4995 posts
3719 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
I have a large uninsulated detached garage and I need something to warm up the area where my squat rack and bench is. Will this do the trick without being a huge hit on my hydro bill? I only need it running to keep the bar warm prior to and during workout 5 nights/week.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9707 posts
2238 upvotes
Winnipeg
Daijoubu wrote: Uninsulated with plenty drafts lol, so radiative heat it is then?
propane radiant etc but not a oil filled heater for an uninsulated garage. Oil filled radiant would do nothing

This is for insulated bedrooms to maintain and distribute heat constantly not a sole source of heat. Thats not its niche. Its great for basements or kids rooms because its quiet and safe to touch etc.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
2284 posts
1404 upvotes
GTA
What a waste of time... There's really no description of what brand or anything else aside from the picture. So I called in to their help line and was told they don't actually have it in stock at any of their stores. As well, they don't give rain checks and have no idea when/if they will ever get the product. So helpful...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
3264 posts
1396 upvotes
Canada
Britex wrote: What a waste of time... There's really no description of what brand or anything else aside from the picture. So I called in to their help line and was told they don't actually have it in stock at any of their stores. As well, they don't give rain checks and have no idea when/if they will ever get the product. So helpful...
They have 29 units at the St. Vital location in Winnipeg. The brand is Pelonis, which is listed in the initial post of this thread.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1454 upvotes
Richmond
The portable heaters are all 1500 watts because that's the max they can safely draw from a standard household socket.

Oil-filled radiator: good for maintaining steady heat in a room, high thermal inertia
Fan heater: good for quickly heating up a sealed room, low thermal inertia
Radiant heater: good for spot-heating a small surface area in a large room or open area
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
3264 posts
1396 upvotes
Canada
Faith24 wrote: The portable heaters are all 1500 watts because that's the max they can safely draw from a standard household socket.

Oil-filled radiator: good for maintaining steady heat in a room, high thermal inertia
Fan heater: good for quickly heating up a sealed room, low thermal inertia
Radiant heater: good for spot-heating a small surface area in a large room or open area
So if my furnace dies in the middle of winter, is this heater a good insurance policy, until the furnace is fixed/replaced?
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
2284 posts
1404 upvotes
GTA
gbill2004 wrote: They have 29 units at the St. Vital location in Winnipeg. The brand is Pelonis, which is listed in the initial post of this thread.
Must be the listing in Toronto. All it says is "OIL-FILLED RADIANT HEATER". [removed]
Last edited by Mars2012 on Oct 12th, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1454 upvotes
Richmond
gbill2004 wrote: So if my furnace dies in the middle of winter, is this heater a good insurance policy, until the furnace is fixed/replaced?
Insufficient capacity to heat your house, even with a couple running full time. At best they could manage to heat a small-to-medium-size room that you are in.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
3264 posts
1396 upvotes
Canada
Britex wrote: Must be the listing in Toronto. All it says is "OIL-FILLED RADIANT HEATER". [removed]
No I called the store and asked questions. It's the same flyer.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Oct 12th, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edit in quote
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2003
5037 posts
2320 upvotes
A Place to Stand
These units are not meant for any purpose where large amounts of heat are needed for rooms that are large like garages etc, especially uninsulated ones. They're slow to heat up a room, but once they get hot they can maintain that temperature silently, and safely. As mentioned here before, great for children's bedrooms, or relatively smaller rooms that the heat can be trapped. Something like this would do almost nothing in a large uninsulated garage. If you have a large open concept room, or something with a high ceiling, these probably are not what you're after.