Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Home Depot

Praying Mantis Egg Case $15.98

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2022 12:42 am
Deal Addict
May 30, 2011
3327 posts
1948 upvotes

[Home Depot] Praying Mantis Egg Case $15.98

They're back ....

Cheaper than Costco (which is now sold out). Available for free in-store pickup - or delivery to your house (in some areas) (free if order total is over $35).

link to this year's costco thread

link to last year's home depot thread
Last edited by TomRFD on Apr 19th, 2022 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated retailer name
23 replies
Deal Addict
May 30, 2011
3327 posts
1948 upvotes
paultieu wrote: What is this?
This is a thread on a great deal for praying manits egg cases at home depot ...
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2014
1141 posts
1909 upvotes
AB
These triangular head with bulging eyes insects will pray for you and your family. Your well being, wealth, education, you name it.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37131 upvotes
These are great creatures.

Why do so many women hate them?
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Oct 29, 2013
239 posts
219 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Unavailable in my area ☹️☹️☹️
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2007
1159 posts
1736 upvotes
Oakville
redflagdealsguy wrote: These are great creatures.

The female praying mantis devours her male companion during/after sexual activity
Deal Addict
May 30, 2011
3327 posts
1948 upvotes
mfu1026 wrote: Unavailable in my area ☹️☹️☹️
Could be because of your mild winters - these are classified as invasive species and might only be able to be sold in areas that have cold weather during winter. I guess that is the drawback to never having to shovel snow ...
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2803 posts
1570 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote: These are great creatures.

This is the weirdest most specific complaint I've heard today. Where did you hear that women specifically hate praying mantis?
Deal Addict
May 30, 2011
3327 posts
1948 upvotes
dealo'day wrote: This is the weirdest most specific complaint I've heard today. Where did you hear that women specifically hate praying mantis?
#FACEPALM
Oct 29, 2013
239 posts
219 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
flyer12 wrote: Could be because of your mild winters - these are classified as invasive species and might only be able to be sold in areas that have cold weather during winter. I guess that is the drawback to never having to shovel snow ...
Woooo, really good point, I've never thought about that. But yes, small drawback from not having snow in March, and being able to snowboard and go to the beach in the same day Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Jun 4, 2007
281 posts
135 upvotes
GTA
Cool bugs, but do they eat gypsy moth caterpillars?
Nov 14, 2019
30 posts
49 upvotes
Lots of info in the Costco thread, but here are a few notes from our experience, which was great...

-Kept the egg case in a terrarium on our enclosed porch, so it was sheltered from really cold night temps, and 'hot' indoor temps.

-Info online re: whether the egg case needed moisture was mixed so we just put a damp towel in the terrarium occasionally and that seemed to work fine.

-the egg case didn't hatch until June, when we got a week of real heat (and humidity). Put the terrarium outside that week and it hatched in 2 days.

-they need a source of water, but drown easily when small. We used a soggy paper towel on a plastic tray, changed regularly. Too soggy and they would still drown.

-feeding them when newly hatched is tricky because they can only eat live, tiny, helpless insects. If you can get aphids, that's ideal. We had a pet store nearby that sold crickets - but you need to buy the tiniest size 'pinhead' crickets, and even then some will be too big for the baby mantises.

-they'll happily eat each other, even when there is other food available. Our original dozens quickly thinned down to around 20, then down to 3, then down to 1 due to cannibalism.
Nov 12, 2020
17 posts
21 upvotes
London ON
London Ontario east site claims unavailable in my area
Ordered 2 delivered to store.
Thanks for posting
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37131 upvotes
If only the cold would end in Southern Ontario, so we could enjoy the presence of these majestic beasts.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Nov 25, 2010
188 posts
492 upvotes
Burlington
I bought them last year, my kids loved to watch them hatch and to set them free. They hatched a bit early and I didn't think any of them would survive but later in the summer one came "knocking" on my door, it was huge.
PXL_20210918_201815763.PORTRAIT.jpg
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4662 posts
960 upvotes
Toronto
Should I buy this and pair it with my Costco one? I'd hate to see incest happening. :rolleyes:
Board games!!!!
Deal Addict
May 30, 2011
3327 posts
1948 upvotes
nomyfault wrote: London Ontario east site claims unavailable in my area
Ordered 2 delivered to store.
Thanks for posting
That is really weird - my order (for the north London location) is shipping from St Catherines - not sure why they couldn't deliver to the east London store on the same truck??
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
4169 posts
6806 upvotes
Langley, BC
These would have been perfect for April fools... spread the eggs all over the house, then bam, insect invasion!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
7432 posts
2245 upvotes
Etobicoke
This video explains what grown praying mantis do.