Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Home Depot

Rheem 36kW Electric Tankless Water Heater Reg. $964, in Store $289 YMMV.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2020 11:19 am
Feb 8, 2011
665 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
Daijoubu wrote: Install is going to cost you, 4x 40A breakers and 4 runs of NMD 8/2
I'm not sure why the other guys are guessing when it says this right on the product page.
Apr 16, 2015
900 posts
577 upvotes
Kanus wrote: You might have to upgrade your electrical service to use this. 36 kw at 240 volts works out to 150 amps. Lots of houses only have 100 amp services.
Better to have a gas tankless water heater if you have gas service.
AND Hydro rates are very expensive
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
11150 posts
3859 upvotes
Montreal, QC
cwb27 wrote: Pretty sure the commercial space is the target for this product.
Commercial will probably have 3 phases lol
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
7000 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto
Daijoubu wrote: Commercial will probably have 3 phases lol
Sure, but not always the case.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
3149 posts
1952 upvotes
GTA
Emporium wrote: I don't see your point. With a 20kW furnace (which I have also, but in a form of a boiler with water circulation rads), you are looking at 85A. With a 24k BTU A/C, 2 fridges, 2 stoves, 60G hot water tank, Dryer, washer, etc.., not to mention all the other appliances, there is no way you could add this to a standard 200A service. I'm in QC also, with my current Hydro bill, I feel like a Hydro VIP customer. It hurts at over $4k/yr in hydro costs. So just because hydro price is cheap does not mean you have the infrastructure to support unlimited electrical devices.

To be able to have a lot of high power devices, you'd need to upgrade to a 400A service, which is not very common yet (at least not here in QC). This would involve hydro replacing the incoming lines, and a new meter. Then you'd have to get an electrician to do the inside
work. Either complete new panel, or a new main breaker and sub-panels (ugly patches in my opinion). For now, it is overkill for most. However with higher power requirements, like electric car charging outlets and other stuff, it may become more standard going forward.

When i bought my house 22yrs ago, they had a 120A service entrance, and ugly main breaker panel with piles of spaghetti subpanels. They already had this 20kw boiler, and let me tell you, it was a fire hazard. You had to see the inside of one of the sub-panels (it was crumbling from the constant overheat). It was the first thing I replaced, and upgraded from a 120A service to a 200A service, ripping out all the subpanels, and replaced with one nice large breaker panel (60 breakers). Best upgrade I even made. Plenty of room to properly isolate everything during other renos (bathroom, kitchen, basement/media room, etc..)

With Montreal having already banned wood burning fireplaces for the most part, and trying to slowly ban oil burning furnaces (in the very near future), there won't be much of an option for many people, but electric and upgraded panels. Natural Gaz which I'd love to have in my neighborhood would be nice (for stoves, bbqs, furnace, water heater, etc..), but unfortunately the network is limited and not available in my area. Propane is not a huge option, since I don't have enough space to put the ugly big tank without being legally too close to a neighbor.
With Electric cars and carbon exhaust elimination in process ie. no natural gas furnace (who knows the timeline) 300A/400A common panels are around the corner but not now. This heater would be geared towards commercial 208/220V applications or homes where hydro is cheaper (yes QC is much more cheaper than Ontario) so no chance this would work in Ontario at all. Propane and Hydro in Ontario is too expensive so NG is best way at the current rates. Next cheapest would be geothermal but big initial cost.

So you know what I see here in Ontario I went to quote a central air system for a townhome that only had electric baseboard heating, homeowner told me they were paying $800 a month in hydro during winter months with stat set to 19C. Hydro in the 70s here was cheaper or on par with NG so many homes built in timeline are electric baseboards or electric furnaces. Thats close $5000 just in hydro during winter months for a townhome so $4K for your i'm assuming detached house isnt as bad as you may think.

To change your panel to whatever 200A/300A/400A the homeowner would need to change meter sub base, panel obviously and then the wire leading up to the connection up at the pole on home. This can all be done in a day as its scheduled with electrician , ESA and local utility, $3000-$5000 in Ontario. Homes large or small with EVs , Hot tubs/sauna going to need min 200A then you add a detached garage/work shop etc. 300A easily, in future when no more NG furnaces and it goes to electric then add 2 EV charging stations with Hot tub/sauna with detached work shop sub panel its coming to 400A. This is years away so until then NG all the way or have a commercial space were you dont pay electrical then get this thing lol
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1534 posts
2211 upvotes
Montreal
Kinda resurrecting an old thread here, but the Home Depot in Anjou restocked these at an even lower price of 216$. I picked up two of them, not sure if there are any more.
Images
  • 20200716_135141.jpg
Feb 21, 2007
78 posts
80 upvotes
Ottawa
Imago wrote: I've had a Rinnai RL75iN tankless natural gas water heater for years. One of the best makes out there.

The only thing I've ever done is pump vinegar through it a couple of times, (very easy to do with an aquarium pump and a pail... our water is hard) and yesterday I had to take the exhaust fan out to vacuum the dead bees and moths out of it as it was giving a code 10 error once in a while. This spring in Saskatchewan is very bad for moths, for some reason.

Not bad for 20 years of virtually trouble free service.

We are on very cold well water on our acreage as well.

I can't recommend these more... no more heating 60 or more gallons of water 24/7.

I would caution against the electric model, unless perhaps you're in Quebec where rates are cheap. The natural gas only requires a regular electrical outlet, and a 3/4 in gas line to feed it.

I've saved many $100's on natural gas over the years.
I totally agree with the above. I personally would never go tankless unless it's with gas. I had a Rinnai too in my previous home in Quebec. With a family of 5, I loved the fact that we never ran out of hot water. One thing we really found annoying though is the fact that these tankless systems require a certain minimum flow before they start heating up the water. How did that impact us? I personally like having a trickle of hot water while doing the dishes (for rinsing purposes). The flow wasn't quite enough for me to be able get hot water out of the tankless system. I'd also say that it took a little longer before I could get hot water in the kitchen compared to the gas heater that we had before. A small annoyance, but a noticeable one nevertheless. Some people install a small tank underneath their sink in the kitchen to work around the two problems I explained above.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1022 posts
267 upvotes
Imago wrote: I was lucky, I bought my Rinnai RL75iN on eBay 20 years ago for about 1/2 what they cost now, installed it myself, (super easy) and had a friend with a gas ticket hook it up, then inspected.

Love it.

I had done the exactly same thing. my friend told me not to bother get it instepected and he will pay me about the rebate. IT's a trust issue and he is only licensed for gas fitting (maybe he does not have a full gas ticket)
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3875 posts
5398 upvotes
Oakville
lilmikey wrote: Minimum panels for homes now are 200 amp , just installed an AC in a townhouse and was shocked it had a 200A panel.
This is not true at all, for example all great gulf, Jasper, and Mattamy homes in the GTA are coming with 125amps as of June 2020.

While premont, lindvest, and Branthaven are giving 200amp standard but they are luxury builders.

You must have had a free upgrade, a 45-66foot lot home, an error, or bought from a luxury builders.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Apr 17, 2016
358 posts
267 upvotes
Toronto
zdpz wrote: This is not true at all, for example all great gulf, Jasper, and Mattamy homes in the GTA are coming with 125amps as of June 2020.

While premont, lindvest, and Branthaven are giving 200amp standard but they are luxury builders.

You must have had a free upgrade, a 45-66foot lot home, an error, or bought from a luxury builders.
As per OBC, starting Jan 1 2018, I believe that if the house has a garage, carport or driveway, it requires a 200a panel. Check OBC rule 3.1.21.1(3).

Edit: this relates to Ontario.
Jun 25, 2018
147 posts
191 upvotes
My Noritz tankless water heater died on me last month, it was 12 years old. I had to dish out $2800+tax for rinnai ru199in (with installation) :(
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3875 posts
5398 upvotes
Oakville
gfnstew wrote: As per OBC, starting Jan 1 2018, I believe that if the house has a garage, carport or driveway, it requires a 200a panel. Check OBC rule 3.1.21.1(3).

Well thanks for the reference, I read up on it, and it says the effective date was pushed to Jan 1 2020.

However, as I mentioned, and now I'm going to investigate this further, that houses my family bought (new construction) closed on June 2020 did not get 200AMP panels.

Time to asked the builder and then contact the enforcement agency.

Thanks again for highlighting this
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3875 posts
5398 upvotes
Oakville
gfnstew wrote:
As per OBC, starting Jan 1 2018, I believe that if the house has a garage, carport or driveway, it requires a 200a panel. Check OBC rule 3.1.21.1(3).

zdpz wrote: Well thanks for the reference, I read up on it, and it says the effective date was pushed to Jan 1 2020.

However, as I mentioned, and now I'm going to investigate this further, that houses my family bought (new construction) closed on June 2020 did not get 200AMP panels.

Time to asked the builder and then contact the enforcement agency.

Thanks again for highlighting this
Well I found the answer a lot quicker.

The requirement for 200amp panel was created by the Ontario Kathleen Wynne government, so that new homes built after Jan 1 2018 could allow for electric vehicles charging stations.

Then new home builders complained it would add $500 to the price of new homes which were already too high, and they needed more time to procure and implement the change. So then the deadline got shifted to Jan 1 2020.

Then the whole thing went to hell, when the conservatives came in to power in Ontario, as Doug Ford removed the requirement from the building code by making amending and removing this requirement altogether, and it passed through into law.

So now, no more free 200AMP panels.

Hence why I had to pay for it last month new build.

Cost $ 1,005.00

Cheers
-ZdpZ... ;)
Apr 17, 2016
358 posts
267 upvotes
Toronto
zdpz wrote: Well I found the answer a lot quicker.

The requirement for 200amp panel was created by the Ontario Kathleen Wynne government, so that new homes built after Jan 1 2018 could allow for electric vehicles charging stations.

Then new home builders complained it would add $500 to the price of new homes which were already too high, and they needed more time to procure and implement the change. So then the deadline got shifted to Jan 1 2020.

Then the whole thing went to hell, when the conservatives came in to power in Ontario, as Doug Ford removed the requirement from the building code by making amending and removing this requirement altogether, and it passed through into law.

Cost $ 1,005.00

Cheers

Thanks for the background info - guess I need to look at the most recent version of OBC.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1534 posts
2211 upvotes
Montreal
dhomas wrote: Kinda resurrecting an old thread here, but the Home Depot in Anjou restocked these at an even lower price of 216$. I picked up two of them, not sure if there are any more.
I had to go back to the same Anjou Home Depot yesterday and there was one left on a higher shelf (you'd need a ladder to get to it).
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
4676 posts
1285 upvotes
Hamilton
$1000 upgrade cost to 200amp is a steal.
Be happy.
$500, is an insane no brainer.
Do you need it? That depends.
But for $500 its buy first think later RFD moment :)
They should have left it as a requirement.
zdpz wrote: Well I found the answer a lot quicker.

Cost $ 1,005.00

Cheers
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
11150 posts
3859 upvotes
Montreal, QC
dhomas wrote: I had to go back to the same Anjou Home Depot yesterday and there was one left on a higher shelf (you'd need a ladder to get to it).
Was there to return some stuffs, bought it at..$115!! What a steal!! I left the store felling like I just did a heist lol.

I wonder if I can run it at 27kw with just 3 breakers, will probably be fine.
Spare heater until my chinese JNOD dies for good.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1534 posts
2211 upvotes
Montreal
Daijoubu wrote: Was there to return some stuffs, bought it at..$115!! What a steal!! I left the store felling like I just did a heist lol.

I wonder if I can run it at 27kw with just 3 breakers, will probably be fine.
Spare heater until my chinese JNOD dies for good.
Wow! I'll see if I can get it price adjusted! That's an extra 100$ cheaper than I paid.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)