RIDGID 11 Litre (3 Gal.) 3.5 Peak HP Portable Wet Dry Vacuum $68

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2020 12:05 pm
[OP]
Feb 27, 2019
58 posts
195 upvotes

[Home Depot] RIDGID 11 Litre (3 Gal.) 3.5 Peak HP Portable Wet Dry Vacuum $68

Saw this 3 gallon Ridgid vac for sale at Home Depot. I couldnt get the last one due to no local stock (5 gal with auto detailing kit). What do you guys think of this? Not a huge savings but I'm looking for a decent vac mostly for car detailing and the occasional garage cleanup. I think this might be it.
13 replies
May 4, 2006
9 posts
I've had this same vac for a few years and recommended it to other people as well. Portable and works great for general clean-up. Like that it has the adjustable ring at the end to very the suction.

Find myself using it more then my larger shop vac, too cumbersome to move outside the garage.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
1306 posts
877 upvotes
GTA
I got one of these for $13 a few years ago. Best shop vac around for auto detailing because it’s so small. Plenty of suction for the car and small clean up jobs around the house.
"Just because something is on sale doesn't mean a) you can afford it, b) you should buy it, c) you need it, d) you're not spending far more buying it than not buying it at all"
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
3553 posts
2206 upvotes
West Coast
If I needed a small shop-vac right now, I'd put the extra 20 bucks into this one https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ridgid ... ?rrec=true

Granted, it's the same that went on clearance (minus the auto detailing kit) so I'm sure many RFD'rs will pass knowing it was cheaper before, but this is a lot more vac without much more size for 20 bucks more. Worth IMO.
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1974 posts
452 upvotes
'sauga
I use this one for cleaning out the car (mine came with the detailing kit). It's pretty good.

Pros - carry handle, compact design, really good suction, not exceedingly loud
Downsides - since it's so light, it tends to flop around a lot. If it gets knocked over it has a 'feature' that blocks the vacuum port so you need to turn it off and then on again to reset. The bags are so small for this that they fill up super quick - I don't bother with bags anymore (I just run it with the pleated filter). Plus the bags are pretty $$$ for the size.
Dec 17, 2017
102 posts
158 upvotes
soupmaster666 wrote: 1 horsepower is 750 watts. If the vacuum was 100% efficient that would mean it requires 2625 watts of power. 2625 watts / 120 volts is 21.9 amps.

So obviously either this thing needs to plug into a 30 amp dryer outlet, or someone's lying about power here.

The Costco one linked by trostmd is 8 amps (8A*120V = 960 watts) a 4 horsepower (4hp*750w/hp = 3000 watts) for a very impressive 312% efficiency!
Horsepower ratings of these vacuums is referring to its peak horsepower rating. Motors draw much more current when they start. That number is not based off their normal operating current.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7183 posts
7681 upvotes
Vancouver
soupmaster666 wrote: 1 horsepower is 750 watts. If the vacuum was 100% efficient that would mean it requires 2625 watts of power. 2625 watts / 120 volts is 21.9 amps.

So obviously either this thing needs to plug into a 30 amp dryer outlet, or someone's lying about power here.

The Costco one linked by trostmd is 8 amps (8A*120V = 960 watts) a 4 horsepower (4hp*750w/hp = 3000 watts) for a very impressive 312% efficiency!
When you see the word "peak" in a power rating where higher is better, the normal unregulated measurement practice used by the marketing department is to apply the highest voltage available to them and measure the current flow in the instant before the device vaporizes. Hey, technically it was operating for 30 milliseconds at a peak power of 10,000 watts. :)

Maybe there's a class-action lawsuit possible here. A lot of us just got a bunch of money back a decade later from small engine manufacturers overstating the horsepower of their engines for things like lawnmowers.
lawnmower-class-action-lawsuit-2255674/
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2015
1525 posts
259 upvotes
Peterborough
I have had this for a few weeks and really like it to do stairs wish the hose was abnit longer but its great I find it has enough power for most stuff quit abit more then my old little 2 HP Shop Vac

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)