Expired Hot Deals

[Home Depot] Ridgid 15A and 30A 25 Ft. Heavy Duty Extension (Almost 80% off!)

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 8th, 2017 7:40 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
2257 posts
2151 upvotes
Montreal
BooR4dL3y wrote: How do these 12 guage extension cords fair? It doesn't have the extra outlets like the Rigid, but price-wise it seems to be pretty good since it's 12 gauge instead of 14 for the Rigid. Also, no searching around (and free shipping if you're Amazon Prime or order over $35).

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... 2%2F3+SJTW

AmazonBasics 12/3 SJTW Heavy-Duty Lighted Extension Cord - 25 Feet (Orange) is currently $18.45
AmazonBasics 12/3 SJTW Heavy-Duty Lighted Extension Cord - 50 Feet (Orange) is currently $29.61
Ridgid says -50°C to +80°C or something similar... don't know about the Amazon one but it certainly look similar. Ridgid has lifetime warranty...

EDIT: Amazon is AWG 12 while Ridgid is AWG 14. If you are using 15A over > 50 FT, I recommend 12 which is better. With 25 FT, doesn't really change anything but it help.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14585 posts
7489 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
BooR4dL3y wrote: How do these 12 guage extension cords fair? It doesn't have the extra outlets like the Rigid, but price-wise it seems to be pretty good since it's 12 gauge instead of 14 for the Rigid. Also, no searching around (and free shipping if you're Amazon Prime or order over $35).

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... 2%2F3+SJTW

AmazonBasics 12/3 SJTW Heavy-Duty Lighted Extension Cord - 25 Feet (Orange) is currently $18.45
AmazonBasics 12/3 SJTW Heavy-Duty Lighted Extension Cord - 50 Feet (Orange) is currently $29.61
If given the choice and everything else being equal, ALWAYS go for the thicker gauge cable so in this case 12 vs 14. Lifetime warranties have a limited value with extension cords. I find that the plugs are usually the issue and I just replace the plug with an industrial grade one for $7 rather than going to replace the whole thing and needing to find the receipt and heading down to the service depot. The Rigid one is better for one reason however, it's got 3 plugs that are spaced out along the cord so for those applications when you need it, it really comes in handy but if you don't then it's just another thing that gets caught when you put the cord away.
Newbie
May 5, 2011
66 posts
63 upvotes
Fredericton, NB
definitely YMMV. There was one left in Fredericton priced at $69.97 with a yellow clearance tag but it did not ring up at the lower price and the manager wouldn't match it...
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 26, 2005
16874 posts
1728 upvotes
Thornhill
I have a bunch of 50' triple tap 12/3 cables rated for low temperatures with lit ends. Found them pretty useful except now 2 of the 3 plugs are too loose.

If I were to buy again, I'd probably get the same but mostly 25' or 33' since it's such a hassle winding them up all the time.

https://www.ihlcanada.com/electrical/ex ... count%3d36

Bought them at IHL Canada when they were on sale.

Might check out the 15A RIDGID since it's so cheap.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Sr. Member
Mar 11, 2002
806 posts
206 upvotes
Whole bunch left at the Coquitlam HomeDepot, priced at 69/89 on the shelf but ring up properly
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 12, 2007
4590 posts
1969 upvotes
Ottawa
12 vs 14 gauge? It really depends on what you're running and how close to the circuit capacity you are and the distance. I too prefer the heavier gauge but it makes a heavier cable as well - and the 75 and 100 footers get very awkward to manage. I prefer these 25' and 50' lengths of heavier gauge.
Member
Jul 5, 2007
212 posts
86 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Is the 30A one like an extension cable for an oven or clothing dryer?
Member
Mar 21, 2009
259 posts
184 upvotes
Hamilton
Contemplating wrote: Is the 30A one like an extension cable for an oven or clothing dryer?
No, it's a generator extension cord that carries 30amp at 120v. So if you want to power your RV with your pos princess Auto generator, but want to annoy you neighbor and not yourself, this is the tool for you.
Banned
User avatar
Nov 20, 2009
1323 posts
958 upvotes
39.0392° N, 125.7625…
I got the last one at Vaudreuil yesterday and got one in Pointe-Claire also where they still had 2 of the 14GA and 2 generator cords. Very thick and heavy, Ridgid lifetime warranty also. Now to find out whether I have to register them for the wty.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 5, 2006
7110 posts
1174 upvotes
Toronto
Contemplating wrote: Is the 30A one like an extension cable for an oven or clothing dryer?
No completely different plug pattern with four curved blades. See pic.
Images
  • IMG_20170802_220330.jpg
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
2257 posts
2151 upvotes
Montreal
EK75 wrote: No, it's a generator extension cord that carries 30amp at 120v. So if you want to power your RV with your pos princess Auto generator, but want to annoy you neighbor and not yourself, this is the tool for you.
Inno wrote:
No completely different plug pattern with four curved blades. See pic.
In theory you could cut the plug and put a new one for an extra 5$. The wire gauge is #10 - OK for a dryer or oven.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 5, 2006
7110 posts
1174 upvotes
Toronto
SquadG wrote: In theory you could cut the plug and put a new one for an extra 5$. The wire gauge is #10 - OK for a dryer or oven.
If you are doing an extension between your appliance and the wall outlet, you will need two new plugs. Not that expensive but it's a bit of a chore putting new plugs on the very thick 10-gauge wire.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2008
1516 posts
419 upvotes
I found generator courts at both Burlington locations if anyone is looking.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2008
1516 posts
419 upvotes
I found generator cords at both Burlington locations if anyone is looking.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 21, 2003
3698 posts
1233 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Genblue wrote: I found generator cords at both Burlington locations if anyone is looking.
I assume that means none of the 15A cords??

Top