• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2019 11:00 am
Apr 2, 2009
231 posts
207 upvotes
vancouver
jeff1970 wrote:
Jun 8th, 2019 1:00 am
Just wondering, how many of y'all actually need an $80 belt sander? Asking for a friend.
I do lots of carpentry and finish work, and the number of times I've needed a belt sander is relatively low, but every now and again I've found myself saying "I really need a belt sander for this" rather than farting around wasting my time with another tool. Even a decent corded belt sander is at least $150, so at $80 and cordless it's a no brainer for me (I'm already all in with Ridgid cordless anyway, so batteries are a non issue). I impulse bought the Ridgid fan for $30 and am surprised how much use I've been getting out of it in the first week alone. Cordless jigsaw and router are the only things left on my wish list.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1122 posts
136 upvotes
Medicine Hat and SW …
jeff1970 wrote:
Jun 8th, 2019 1:00 am
Just wondering, how many of y'all actually need an $80 belt sander? Asking for a friend.
Not so long ago I had to drag out a big old generator to a remote site just to provide power to the only non-cordless tool I use with any regularity - the belt sander. I would have been definitely tempted by this tool but I can't see how a cordless belt sander is very well suited to the job because you generally need decent tool weight and lots of power. Batteries would not last long at all.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
2642 posts
1439 upvotes
Kitchener
Good answers to the users that responded! Thanks!
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
2365 posts
2633 upvotes
Anyone has second thought about his purchase. I can trade it with a makita set that I got on deal. Drill driver with batteries.
When you upvote my posts, this is what happens:
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Fact check, none of the above is valid.
Apr 2, 2009
231 posts
207 upvotes
vancouver
Ctrl-Z wrote:
Jun 8th, 2019 11:43 am
Not so long ago I had to drag out a big old generator to a remote site just to provide power to the only non-cordless tool I use with any regularity - the belt sander. I would have been definitely tempted by this tool but I can't see how a cordless belt sander is very well suited to the job because you generally need decent tool weight and lots of power. Batteries would not last long at all.
The weight on this belt sander is only slightly less than the makita belt sander I used to use regularly - depends on what you're using it for; lesser weight for me means less fatigue or greater control taking off light amounts of material, say when using it to scribe a panel to a wall.

Battery life has gotten much better with technology in the last 5 years, specifically with brushless tools I've found. I prefer min. 4Ah batteries - especially for power-hungry tools (saw, sander, impact gun) - one usually lasts me at least a day for most tools other than the circ. saw, especially if I'm doing lots of cutting (waiting for the price of the octane batteries to drop before trying them - a 9Ah would be sweet). I have a few 2Ah batteries that came with my older kits which I keep for light-duty tasks or as backup while I charge the bigger ones.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Jul 16, 2017
135 posts
98 upvotes
SizzleChest wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 8:55 pm
Has anyone that ordered online got a shipping notice yet? I ordered on May 30th, got the order confirmation and nothing at all since then.
Still no shipping notice for me. The status is "Being Processed". They billed my credit card on June 3.
Aug 22, 2007
655 posts
463 upvotes
This thing any useful for sanding decks (24x24). I need to restain:\
Jan 6, 2008
69 posts
9 upvotes
Richmond
SizzleChest wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 8:55 pm
Has anyone that ordered online got a shipping notice yet? I ordered on May 30th, got the order confirmation and nothing at all since then.
I called in today to see the status of my order as it still said "being processed". All she could say was it hasn't been cancelled and it is on backorder.
Jan 17, 2006
844 posts
189 upvotes
Mississauga
WCRSX wrote:
Jun 8th, 2019 9:21 am
Thanks, it was too blurry so it did not help but I was just able to get it for that price at Heartland! Found a very useful trick that can help you guys with this and any other HD price match:

Both the website and HD app do not let you select a store for pickup when there is no stock available there so you can't show them the lower price. The trick is to use the app and go to the hamburger menu and use the store finder to find the store you want and set it as your store, then just go to the product you want, it will show out of stock but will also show the reduced price!

Pointers that have worked for me lately:

- Be nice and polite and patient, if they say they need to check just say OK and smile...

- Do not go to customer service, go directly to one of the cahiers and explain that some stores have a lower price and if he/she could please sell it to you at that price. I always go to the ones on the lumber area as those are the ones with less traffic.

- If they say it's out of stock on that store just say a friend just bought it there at that price and you were wondering if they could sell it to you for the same.

This exact method worked for me for both this and also the Ridgid fan for $29.

BTW, those asking about the need of this tool, I will need to refinish my deck soon so this will be perfect for that, plus if you are already into the Ridgid ecosystem and with Lifetime LSA, for this price is a no brainer...
Jul 16, 2017
135 posts
98 upvotes
archon wrote:
Jun 8th, 2019 3:05 pm
Still no shipping notice for me. The status is "Being Processed". They billed my credit card on June 3.
I received the shipping notice yesterday.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
2725 posts
1064 upvotes
archon wrote:
Jun 20th, 2019 12:32 pm
I received the shipping notice yesterday.
Nice. Hopefully they all go through. My status is "confirmed on June 19" whatever that means.
Jul 16, 2017
135 posts
98 upvotes
Received it today (in Vancouver). Thanks again for the deal!
Nov 25, 2008
84 posts
66 upvotes
h41t3r wrote:
Jun 8th, 2019 3:15 pm
I just stripped the paint off my deck and stained it.

Would've been impossible had I not had a belt sander. I bought a black & decker corded belt sander for 65 bux, I would have bought this one instead if I can get it for 79 bux.

Orbital hand sander was only useful for the vertical panels where I couldn't get to with the belt sander.

Now I just need to find other use for the belt sander...
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1558 posts
127 upvotes
h41t3r wrote:
Jun 8th, 2019 3:15 pm
Hey do you have to sand a deck every time you need to restrain? I'm about to paint a pressure treated fence, and I'm wondering if I'll need to sand the fence down when I need to restrain 5 years down the road.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2582 posts
1116 upvotes
West Coast
reggyDeal wrote:
Jun 26th, 2019 9:42 am
Hey do you have to sand a deck every time you need to restrain? I'm about to paint a pressure treated fence, and I'm wondering if I'll need to sand the fence down when I need to restrain 5 years down the road.
Read the manufacturers instructions for your specific stain, but in general, you ALWAYS want to do a good job prepping your surface before painting/staining. The stain will have a hard time penetrating into the wood without you removing the old stuff and also opening up the pores will help tremendously.
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers