• Sep 6th, 2019 8:07 am
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
6708 posts
1260 upvotes
Mont-Royal
oujifye wrote:
Jul 24th, 2019 2:04 pm
Smaller routers are also called trim routers and have 1/4" collets. The name comes from being used to trim laminate edge banding i believe. They're commonly used for rounding over and chamfering edges they're not limited to those task of course, I've seen them used to rough out window openings on sheathing.

big routers have 1/2" collets as standard but can also downsize to 1/4". You won't find large diameter bits in 1/4" size, only 1/2" (raised panel bit). More powerful routers are able to maintain their speed better during cuts. More expensive routers also vibrate less.
very informative thanks!

I am looking indeed to stick some laminate edge band to the side of a ikea kitchen counter (vertical). I am not sure what to buy and I am very new into router world as you can see.

What specfic articles would you recommand me to buy? I heard the Freud Flush Trim Router Bit is good? Would be great if you can provide me an example with links where to purchase for which router and which bit, and will the bit damage the existant horizontal laminate?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Feb 2, 2014
529 posts
607 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote:
Jul 24th, 2019 2:09 pm
This joke is really getting old
More likely it's just you that's getting old.
Jul 31, 2009
424 posts
162 upvotes
Ottawa
L4cky wrote:
Jul 24th, 2019 2:16 pm
very informative thanks!

I am looking indeed to stick some laminate edge band to the side of a ikea kitchen counter (vertical). I am not sure what to buy and I am very new into router world as you can see.

What specfic articles would you recommand me to buy? I heard the Freud Flush Trim Router Bit is good? Would be great if you can provide me an example with links where to purchase for which router and which bit, and will the bit damage the existant horizontal laminate?
If it's one job, just use a sharp knife, go slow and sand any sharp edges so they don't catch anything.

The cheapest brand named trim router is usually makita's (amazon). Bosch's Colt is good too. Get cordless if you can, makes them much easier to work with. For non branded, there's also king canada's. Amazon has more options as well. SOME routers come with a flush trim bit (i.e. ridgid's)

For trimming laminate get a flush trim bit with a bearing on the top of the bit. Freud is the safest option but expensive, Lee valley is good too they stay sharp. Busy bee tools has inexpensive bits that are not too cheaply made. Again amazon has really cheap options as well.

Again if it's one job, knife.
Last edited by oujifye on Jul 24th, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nov 24, 2015
535 posts
336 upvotes
Durham Region
I would try other stores and show curity on website. It depends on manager but many will match it
Nov 30, 2014
142 posts
314 upvotes
Calgary, AB
tjindersingh wrote:
Jul 24th, 2019 2:22 pm
More likely it's just you that's getting old.
believe or not i see this joke practically on every woodworking router post... :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
6708 posts
1260 upvotes
Mont-Royal
oujifye wrote:
Jul 24th, 2019 2:59 pm
If it's one job, just use a sharp knife, go slow and sand any sharp edges so they don't catch anything.

The cheapest brand named trim router is usually makita's (amazon). Bosch's Colt is good too. Get cordless if you can, makes them much easier to work with. For non branded, there's also king canada's. Amazon has more options as well. SOME routers come with a flush trim bit (i.e. ridgid's)

For trimming laminate get a flush trim bit with a bearing on the top of the bit. Freud is the safest option but expensive, Lee valley is good too they stay sharp. Busy bee tools has inexpensive bits that are not too cheaply made. Again amazon has really cheap options as well.

Again if it's one job, knife.
will this work? https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07B8Y ... EEQB&psc=1 I think it is the cordless version.

or the bosch corded versions you advice are better?

Thanks!
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Nov 26, 2003
515 posts
324 upvotes
GTA
L4cky wrote:
Jul 24th, 2019 5:08 pm
will this work? https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07B8Y ... EEQB&psc=1 I think it is the cordless version.

Thanks!
I'd suggest that you get variable speed--I own the Makita that oujifye linked, but with a speed controller. You'll probably want a bevel trim bit also.
However, unless you're prepared to practice a lot, I'd suggest that you stick with manual tools--a file, a rigid sanding block and masking tape. If you still want to use a router, practice. Friction from the router bearing or a momentary misalignment of the router can very quickly damage your countertop.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
1558 posts
536 upvotes
Scarborough
i have the Bosch colt and wanted the plunge base for a long time.. but that alone will cost more than this kit.. sigh..
Jul 31, 2009
424 posts
162 upvotes
Ottawa
L4cky wrote:
Jul 24th, 2019 5:08 pm

Thanks!
Do you have bosch 12v batteries already? $200 is pretty steep for a 12v router, especially if that's your first tool in the ecosystem.

I think Stang is referring to this?, which is a definitely a better option than the one i initially linked.
May 20, 2018
181 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Tried to price match in hamilton and they refused to price match me for this.
Once a petrohead always one ..
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
6708 posts
1260 upvotes
Mont-Royal
oujifye wrote:
Jul 24th, 2019 8:14 pm
Do you have bosch 12v batteries already? $200 is pretty steep for a 12v router, especially if that's your first tool in the ecosystem.

I think Stang is referring to this?, which is a definitely a better option than the one i initially linked.
thanks! will that work with the freud trimming laminate get a flush trim bit you link? do i need a guide?
- Training 101
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
3671 posts
987 upvotes
Ottawa
L4cky wrote:
Jul 25th, 2019 11:42 am
thanks! will that work with the freud trimming laminate get a flush trim bit you link? do i need a guide?
Listen to the advice you're being given. The end trim that comes with the IKEA countertops is very thin and easily trimmed with a knife and finished with some sandpaper. I wouldn't go anywhere near it with a router and yes I've installed these countertops.

If you're simply looking to justify a tool purchase to your spouse then go ahead and buy it and set it running while you trim the laminate with a knife.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
6708 posts
1260 upvotes
Mont-Royal
dirtmover wrote:
Jul 25th, 2019 12:00 pm
Listen to the advice you're being given. The end trim that comes with the IKEA countertops is very thin and easily trimmed with a knife and finished with some sandpaper. I wouldn't go anywhere near it with a router and yes I've installed these countertops.

If you're simply looking to justify a tool purchase to your spouse then go ahead and buy it and set it running while you trim the laminate with a knife.
I have an utility knife but i feel it's not even. whats the sandpaper grip grit level?

what about this https://www.homedepot.ca/product/nichol ... 1000144088 ?
- Training 101