• Aug 27th, 2021 12:57 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 16, 2018
157 posts
337 upvotes

[Home Depot] Ridgid 43 piece drive kit with hard case - $9.98

Better value than other alternatives I saw in store from DeWalt, Ryobi, Milwaukee, etc.

I think I've seen this kit in hot deals before, saw plenty of stock in-store
Images
  • IMG_20210824_132738.jpg
  • IMG_20210824_132744.jpg
29 replies
Jun 12, 2018
707 posts
942 upvotes
Ontario
Good price I guess but do people really use those short tiny bits? I use them only when I have to. Not enough of the mid length bits in this kit
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7613 posts
1556 upvotes
Toronto
I see this kit has almost all little shorty screwdriver bits that require using an adaptor.

That may be fine for very occasional use, but for any serious screw-driving a one-piece, 2" or longer bit with an impact-driver hex fitting will work much more efficiently.
May 26, 2015
3 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
i have that kit, the bits are not easy to get in and out, it annoys me everytime!
Mar 25, 2018
200 posts
95 upvotes
I have been looking for a cheap set that’s not horrible quality.
Apr 29, 2018
232 posts
273 upvotes
Toronto
Milwaukee FTW on impact rated bits..
Mother of all necessities ---> RFD
Aug 8, 2010
478 posts
523 upvotes
These bits are junk.
Very soft metal and NOT for any kind of real work.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
5749 posts
3092 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
I hate the inflated numbers of basically every driver kit ever. They tend to be at least 50% the tiny bits which are basically useless. I never use them. I’d much prefer a 15-20 piece kit of useable 4-8” bits.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2012
1766 posts
731 upvotes
Montreal
ChicoQuente wrote: I hate the inflated numbers of basically every driver kit ever. They tend to be at least 50% the tiny bits which are basically useless. I never use them. I’d much prefer a 15-20 piece kit of useable 4-8” bits.
Do they exist? I have so many useless tiny bits from various sets. I'm looking for a set with longer bits and various heads.
Banned
Jun 21, 2021
59 posts
36 upvotes
ChicoQuente wrote: I hate the inflated numbers of basically every driver kit ever. They tend to be at least 50% the tiny bits which are basically useless. I never use them. I’d much prefer a 15-20 piece kit of useable 4-8” bits.
lol such a scam industry
they do it on purpose so you can think youre getting a deal with all those useless bits even though literally 1 bit is the good one in these sets.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
5749 posts
3092 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
th3xeroeagle wrote: Do they exist? I have so many useless tiny bits from various sets. I'm looking for a set with longer bits and various heads.
No not that I have ever seen. The sets are always these stupid ones. Personally I just end up buying singles even though it costs more that way. I would never use the small ones, ever so these kits are absolutely useless to me. I would rather have fewer bits of higher quality than a massive pile of 90% useless bits. If they ever start making these kits but with only longer bits I’ll be all over it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7613 posts
1556 upvotes
Toronto
ChicoQuente wrote: No not that I have ever seen. The sets are always these stupid ones. Personally I just end up buying singles even though it costs more that way. I would never use the small ones, ever so these kits are absolutely useless to me. I would rather have fewer bits of higher quality than a massive pile of 90% useless bits. If they ever start making these kits but with only longer bits I’ll be all over it.
Milwaukee sells packages of 5 or 10 proper impact-rated driver bits in Robertson and Phillips. No shoddy "adaptor" needed.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
3618 posts
3889 upvotes
Montreal, QC
These bits are fine for general work around the house. But not for any serious renovation work, etc.. And don't even think about using for impact work, they will not only strip your bits, but your screws also and you'll be cursing. Job goes so much easier (and faster) when you have the right tools and bits.

If you need something to use on an impact driver, get a small set like this one if you don't want to spend a fortune:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/milwau ... 1001639741
Won't break the bank and has all the common bits you will typically use with an impact.

I personally bought a 15 pack of square #2 bits and a 15 pack of 2" PH#2 bits, which are the most common used with impact, and they last forever.

I find Milwaukee bits are some of the strongest, then Bosch and Dewalt (impact version) is not too bad either.

I do have 1x 3.5" PH#2 and 3.5" SQ#2 for those specific cases where the longer reach is needed. But it is not a frequent need (at least not for me).
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
3144 posts
6413 upvotes
migotist wrote: Milwaukee FTW on impact rated bits..
I clicked this thread and saw the small thumbnail and thought these might have been impact rated for a second.
I borrowed a set of those Milwaukee impact bits from a friend and was thoroughly impressed, I need to get a set of those myself.
Mar 2, 2019
2 posts
1 upvote
Serious question, why are the 1" bits not considered useful? Looking into buying a set of driving bits