• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2020 4:37 pm
[OP]
Aug 4, 2004
810 posts
354 upvotes
Vancouver

[Home Depot] Ridgid 60L (16Gal) 5 Peak HP Wet/Dry Vac $69

Free shipping or free ship to store, pretty good deal on a decently powerful shop vacuum. Main caveat is the diameter of the hose, only 1&7/8 (4.8cm).

If you don't plan on sucking up anything large and it's mostly for small debris or as a wet vac, not a bad deal.

$99 US at HD .com, currently, for comparison.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ridgid ... 1000663834
Licensed Automotive Technician
55 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2823 posts
1297 upvotes
West Coast
Good find. I have the uber 6.5hp one and it's great, but it's huge and overkill. I'm sure I can suck up nearly anything, but for day to use one like what you posted makes more sense.

Random tip, buy the vaccum bags off amazon. No-name ones for Ridgid are about 25% the cost and are so much easier to deal with.
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
6338 posts
2574 upvotes
Moncton, NB
Richfields wrote: Good find. I have the uber 6.5hp one and it's great, but it's huge and overkill. I'm sure I can suck up nearly anything, but for day to use one like what you posted makes more sense.

Random tip, buy the vaccum bags off amazon. No-name ones for Ridgid are about 25% the cost and are so much easier to deal with.
Yeah I love mine too. And yes its big but it's been usefull like cleaning the bottom of our pool at the end of the summer (those metal frame pools) so we can let it dry and store. Also cleaning after renos etc...

Do you have a link to those bags? :)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2011
8017 posts
2718 upvotes
Toronto
Richfields wrote: Good find. I have the uber 6.5hp one and it's great, but it's huge and overkill. I'm sure I can suck up nearly anything, but for day to use one like what you posted makes more sense.

Any recommendations for filters?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2823 posts
1297 upvotes
West Coast
nounou23 wrote: Yeah I love mine too. And yes its big but it's been usefull like cleaning the bottom of our pool at the end of the summer (those metal frame pools) so we can let it dry and store. Also cleaning after renos etc...

Do you have a link to those bags? :)
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00MAR7Y6 ... asin_title
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
2863 posts
3845 upvotes
Langley, BC
can the bags be reused, or are they a pain to empty?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
6921 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
I thought you could use a wet/dry vac without a bag?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
6338 posts
2574 upvotes
Moncton, NB
steven80 wrote: can the bags be reused, or are they a pain to empty?
For me I've never used a bag in mine. I've been using it for a long time as well. I just empty the bin in a big garbage bag and clean the filter as much as I can.

When the bin is dirty I just wash it with water.

If I used bags I can imaging you could empty the bag and reuse it a few times :)
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
2863 posts
3845 upvotes
Langley, BC
I have lots of drywall to be installed soon, and I know I need the special blue filter, but I wonder if bags will work better since the blue filters are expensive.
Feb 5, 2019
140 posts
136 upvotes
Inno wrote: I thought you could use a wet/dry vac without a bag?
Yes you can. However, using a bag prolongs the life of the filter media and also makes it much easier to clean it without the need to pull out hair and debris between the waffles.
Apr 22, 2010
154 posts
85 upvotes
If you're cleaning up any kind of mess that has fine dust, esp drywall dust, you need a bag inside the house. A fine-dust filter works pretty well too, but in my limited experience, not as well as a bag. Regular cleanup isn't a big deal.

An apprentice contractor vacuumed a bathroom reno at my house without a bag or decent filter before anyone noticed. His vacuum died (drywall dust in the motor) and I had fine dust *everywhere* in the house after it got in the air, and then distributed through the furnace. We were cleaning room-by-room for months as dust kept settling, dishes in the cupboard had to be rinsed every meal before being used or they'd be gritty, and we had to have the vents cleaned. It really really sucked. I'm sure it was bad for the kids' lungs.

It's not a big deal in a garage with carport doors that let the dust out, it's a huge deal inside a house.
nounou23 wrote: For me I've never used a bag in mine. I've been using it for a long time as well. I just empty the bin in a big garbage bag and clean the filter as much as I can.

When the bin is dirty I just wash it with water.

If I used bags I can imaging you could empty the bag and reuse it a few times :)
Apr 22, 2010
154 posts
85 upvotes
steven80 wrote: I have lots of drywall to be installed soon, and I know I need the special blue filter, but I wonder if bags will work better since the blue filters are expensive.
Bags don't last as long with fine dust. They're cheaper, I personally find they catch more but that might just be my imagination (I don't have data to back that up), but need to be replaced more often than the filter. I also haven't tracked well enough to tell if the longer filter life is worth it. With fine dust, it's much nicer to just toss the bag, rather than emptying the bin full of fine powder in the trash outside.

Just pay attention to the motor when you're cleaning fine dust. If it's struggling, you're going to have to replace the bag even if it's not full.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
2863 posts
3845 upvotes
Langley, BC
mrmalten wrote: If you're cleaning up any kind of mess that has fine dust, esp drywall dust, you need a bag inside the house. A fine-dust filter works pretty well too, but in my limited experience, not as well as a bag. Regular cleanup isn't a big deal.

An apprentice contractor vacuumed a bathroom reno at my house without a bag or decent filter before anyone noticed. His vacuum died (drywall dust in the motor) and I had fine dust *everywhere* in the house after it got in the air, and then distributed through the furnace. We were cleaning room-by-room for months as dust kept settling, dishes in the cupboard had to be rinsed every meal before being used or they'd be gritty, and we had to have the vents cleaned. It really really sucked. I'm sure it was bad for the kids' lungs.

It's not a big deal in a garage with carport doors that let the dust out, it's a huge deal inside a house.
Wow, that's crazy... luckily I'm the one doing all the cleaning, etc on this basement finish job. I will bag and blue filter it after reading your post. Thanks for the warning!
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2823 posts
1297 upvotes
West Coast
steven80 wrote: can the bags be reused, or are they a pain to empty?
I opened the stitching on one corner and emptied that way. I then reseal with with bulldog clips and that allows me to get 3-4 uses out of a bag. Works great.

I still leave the filter in as well just in case the bag breaks, but reduces the dust and cleanup by a fair bit.