Expired Hot Deals

[Home Depot] RIDGID GEN5X 18-Volt Cordless Brushless 4-1/2-inch Angle Grinder (Tool-Only) 69.60 YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2019 5:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
10953 posts
14274 upvotes
Montreal

[Home Depot] RIDGID GEN5X 18-Volt Cordless Brushless 4-1/2-inch Angle Grinder (Tool-Only) 69.60 YMMV

RIDGID GEN5X 18-Volt Cordless Brushless 4-1/2-inch Angle Grinder (Tool-Only)
$69.60 YMMV

24 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
1232 posts
829 upvotes
Montreal
No stock in Montreal... Been looking for 2 months.
Mar 7, 2011
568 posts
329 upvotes
Winnipeg
....cant buy online? wth?
Does it actually perform well? The cordless belt sander was extremely slow so I sold it. Literally, at very least 1/2 the speed of a plug in belt sander...This was with the cordless on full high speed vs a cheap a$$ 50$ mastercraft ( on promo sale ) on medium, not even a close comparison.
Granted I have never used any other cordless belt sander but it was silly slow, had enough torque to keep it spinning but just annoyingly slow. Would have been good for fine work I suppose....but its a belt sander...

EDIT-
Their site is super fking annoying. Says either not avail or limited stock, change store for pick then changes to out of stock.
Fk this. Glad im not too deep into attempting to go for a ridged collection due to life time warranty. barely seems worth it so far
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
1353 posts
320 upvotes
I have this grinder, bought it in a bundle mainly for the 6ah octane battery... But I really like this grinder, really impressed with the balance of the tool and how much more practical it is without an attached wire.
Last edited by majikstic on Aug 23rd, 2019 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 28, 2016
647 posts
270 upvotes
majikstic wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2019 9:18 pm
I have this grinder, bought it in a bundle mainly for the 6ah octance battery... But I really like this grinder, really impressed with the balance of the tool and how much more practical it is without an attached wire.
This right here. I use mine with a 4ah battery and its plenty strong amd super handy. It obviously doesn't have the power of a corded unit, but most of the time you you dont need any more than this.
Apr 2, 2019
8 posts
3 upvotes
Calgary
Went to three HD stores.
Found 2 at the first store. The one that was not tied by security device is obvious a used return, so I picked the other. Then I found it was even worse, used return and missing wheel wrench. Had to return after purchase.
Second store showed 6 in stock in their system but rep could not actually find them.
Third store showed 2 in stock, same story. The rep was quite nice and offered me the newer octane angle grinder at $90. Pretty happy.

One thing worth mentioning. Neither gen5x brushless nor octane angle grinder comes with cut-off wheel guard. It is noted in the manual that you should not use cut-off wheel on it.
I happen to have the ryobi brushless angle grinder as well and find they have the same opening for wheel guard. Ryobi comes with both grinding wheel guard and cut-off wheel guard. So theoretically you can use cut-off wheel on ridgid if you have that cut-off wheel guard from ryobi.
Images
  • 20190824014736.jpg
Feb 28, 2016
647 posts
270 upvotes
ChenY67984 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2019 3:50 am
Went to three HD stores.
Found 2 at the first store. The one that was not tied by security device is obvious a used return, so I picked the other. Then I found it was even worse, used return and missing wheel wrench. Had to return after purchase.
Second store showed 6 in stock in their system but rep could not actually find them.
Third store showed 2 in stock, same story. The rep was quite nice and offered me the newer octane angle grinder at $90. Pretty happy.

One thing worth mentioning. Neither gen5x brushless nor octane angle grinder comes with cut-off wheel guard. It is noted in the manual that you should not use cut-off wheel on it.
I happen to have the ryobi brushless angle grinder as well and find they have the same opening for wheel guard. Ryobi comes with both grinding wheel guard and cut-off wheel guard. So theoretically you can use cut-off wheel on ridgid if you have that cut-off wheel guard from ryobi.
It looks like it has a guard in the picture, and both of the ones I had bought in the past did as well?
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
1353 posts
320 upvotes
ChenY67984 wrote:

What is the difference between the cut-off VS grinding guards? I always thought they were one and the same?
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
1232 posts
829 upvotes
Montreal
ChenY67984 wrote:
Went to three HD stores.

Wow, congratz. Wish I could get the octane at that price too.
Jul 22, 2015
306 posts
481 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Checked 2 different stores. showed they had stock but Rep couldn't find anything.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
6486 posts
825 upvotes
Toronto
Superjester wrote:
Aug 24th, 2019 9:54 am
Checked 2 different stores. showed they had stock but Rep couldn't find anything.
More often than not I've been able to spot items in the overhead storage using the sku numbers when staff fail. In my experience some don't try very hard. Maybe they don't want to have to drag the big ladders over to fetch the stuff.

Now my first approach is to search by myself. Then if I don't see it I ask for help.
Jul 22, 2015
306 posts
481 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Inno wrote:
Aug 24th, 2019 10:16 am
More often than not I've been able to spot items in the overhead storage using the sku numbers when staff fail. In my experience some don't try very hard. Maybe they don't want to have to drag the big ladders over to fetch the stuff.

Now my first approach is to search by myself. Then if I don't see it I ask for help.
Thanks man! Found it in the overhead!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
6486 posts
825 upvotes
Toronto
Superjester wrote:
Aug 24th, 2019 2:09 pm
You earned the reward for your hard work!
Sep 27, 2004
800 posts
84 upvotes
Superjester wrote:
Aug 24th, 2019 2:09 pm
Mind sharing which stores you checked?