• Feb 21st, 2019 3:05 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
6553 posts
858 upvotes
Toronto
SizzleChest wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 11:32 pm
I'm going by memory here, but as I recall, the only fine print on their lifetime service agreement regarding batteries is that they have to be purchased as part of a kit (included with a tool). Batteries purchased separately only qualify for the standard 3-year warranty.

Just writing that out though made me think - I wonder what would happen if X amount of years down the road, a battery needs to to be replaced and is covered by the LSA, but Ridgid has some new technology out that uses a different type of battery and lithium ion is discontinued. Say they send me a new technology battery to replace a lithium ion one, but then the new battery doesn't fit any of my lithium ion tools. Then what? The same scenario could happen if it's a tool that needs replacing and the new tool only uses a new type of battery that is not compatible with the current lithium ion ones.
They already switched a few years ago, from NiCad to Lithium Ion. But they were smart enough to keep the same format so all the old and new 18V batteries fit both old and new tools and chargers.

I got two of my old NiCad batteries replaced under the lifetime recently and was hoping for the replacements to be LI batteries. No luck, somehow they found some New Old Stock NiCad batteries to give to me. The old ones are much heavier than the new ones. :-(
Nov 8, 2007
503 posts
159 upvotes
I randomly bought a Rigid 2-battery drill set back in 2007 and it still works great and charges fast. Maybe the batteries don't last quite as long as they used to but more than sufficient for home jobs.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2010
1882 posts
825 upvotes
Toronto
torontotim wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 10:14 pm
No idea - I didn't notice that. Hard to imagine they're all 'damaged' and that HD would sell them. Probably whoever printed up the labels messed up. I'm not in town to go check to see what might be left or the condition but the boxes seemed like new and not opened.
*Damaged* is just a description (specific code) in order to mark down for certain %%. Obviously it's not like hd is selling an out of order hammer drill for u bro.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
2724 posts
1061 upvotes
Inno wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 12:52 am
They already switched a few years ago, from NiCad to Lithium Ion. But they were smart enough to keep the same format so all the old and new 18V batteries fit both old and new tools and chargers.
That's good to hear, thanks.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
2580 posts
577 upvotes
Vancouver
Inno wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 12:52 am

I got two of my old NiCad batteries replaced under the lifetime recently and was hoping for the replacements to be LI batteries. No luck, somehow they found some New Old Stock NiCad batteries to give to me. The old ones are much heavier than the new ones. :-(
Would lithium require a different charger?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5498 posts
1653 upvotes
Space
Ridgid and Ryobi have the same issues with the chuck. Hell even the pre 2nd gen Milwaukee fuel had issues. Hopefully it gets resolved with newer revisions from Ridgid.
cartfan123 wrote:
Feb 4th, 2019 7:53 pm
This drill comes with 2 x 1.5 mah batteries not 2.0. It’s clearly labeled on the box.

Agree with the other poster, I’ve found Ridgid chucks to be problematic. Loosening off even after cranking it down.

Still this is an excellent price for 2 batteries and the hammer drill plus the lifetime service agreement.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
1252 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto
yvrwindsor wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 3:22 am
Would lithium require a different charger?
The newer charges are compatible with both NiCd and lithium. Older chargers, only NiCd.
=============
Heatware
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
1252 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto
yvrwindsor wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 9:58 pm
I may need to use a cordless drill probably 3x a year. Is purchasing Ridgid the right choice because of their lifetime warranty on the battery? Or is there fine prints in replacing their batteries?
I would say absolutely yes as the batteries will lose their ability to hold a charge as they age.

Even when not used. If seldomly used, after 5+ years, you will likely notice they don't last as long. After 10+ years, they may not work at all!

LSA to the rescue! You now have a brand new battery. As long as they don't make it more difficult to make an LSA claim that is.

I've had at least 4 NiCd batteries replaced and a drill repaired on LSA.
=============
Heatware
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2123 posts
1441 upvotes
SW Ontario
Thanks OP it's a great price if you need one.
If I buy another tool though, I think I'm gonna have some issues with the other half so I gotta pass, but its kling me to do so.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2725 posts
1531 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
SizzleChest wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 11:32 pm
I'm going by memory here, but as I recall, the only fine print on their lifetime service agreement regarding batteries is that they have to be purchased as part of a kit (included with a tool). Batteries purchased separately only qualify for the standard 3-year warranty.

Just writing that out though made me think - I wonder what would happen if X amount of years down the road, a battery needs to to be replaced and is covered by the LSA, but Ridgid has some new technology out that uses a different type of battery and lithium ion is discontinued. Say they send me a new technology battery to replace a lithium ion one, but then the new battery doesn't fit any of my lithium ion tools. Then what? The same scenario could happen if it's a tool that needs replacing and the new tool only uses a new type of battery that is not compatible with the current lithium ion ones.
Let me tell you my experience.
I have a 14.4V impact driver and drill kit that I purchased in 2003. I needed the benefits of the 18V system so I upgraded in 2008. My 18V kit is often left on job sites, so my 'retired' 14.4V kit stays at home in the garage.

This past summer, the 14.4V drill died suddenly. I took it in to Abba Tool Repair (the authorised service depot here in Kington), and was told the drill is out of production and no parts were available.
They submitted the information to Ridgid.

Guess how Ridgid dealt with it? They sent me a brand new 18V drill kit, with a charger, two li-ion batteries and a case. No charge.

I can't stress enough the value of Ridgid's LSA.
Nov 26, 2003
515 posts
324 upvotes
GTA
I wasn’t aware until recently that Ridgid has a Direct Ship option for replacement batteries. In the past, I’ve gone to an authorized service centre to replace a dead battery. Today, I called-in about a dead 18V Lithium battery that I’ve had sitting around forever. I should receive the replacement battery within 10 days.

https://support.ridgidpower.com/custome ... es/2448700
“Gather your tool, battery(s), and charger, then call our Direct Ship line at 1.877.655.5346, Mon – Fri, 8am – 8pm EST, Sat – Sun 9am – 6pm EST. A RIDGID representative will assist with verifying eligibility for replacement over the phone. Once coverage and diagnostics are confirmed, a replacement item will be shipped directly to your home or office.”
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1875 posts
1005 upvotes
Toronto
Solsearchin1 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 3:27 pm
He edited the original post. He posted the Gen X4 with 2 batteries.
I (OP) never mentioned brushless or not, or X4 etc. Just posted the photos of the boxes in store which clearly indicate brushless.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5498 posts
1653 upvotes
Space
Looks like mods merged the two threads. Not sure why as they were separate items. You also weren’t the OP of the original post of where i posted. Check my post history if you must. Post 9,10 and 11 were merged here. If you look at post 11, you can see the dude linked this thread.

Original post was a X4 Driver with 2 - 4AH batteries and charger. Hence my original post.
torontotim wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 5:14 pm
I (OP) never mentioned brushless or not, or X4 etc. Just posted the photos of the boxes in store which clearly indicate brushless.