Hot Deals

Home Depot

RIDGID March / April Promo -- Buy a Select RIDGID Tool, Get a FREE 2Ah/4Ah Starter Kit -- Ends May 18th

  • Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2022 9:18 pm
Member
Dec 31, 2012
251 posts
142 upvotes
Ottawa
Mrrfdxyz wrote: Torque wrench is for tightening only. You usually don't need breaker bar if you have impact wrench unless
repatch wrote: A torque wrench should only be used for torqueing up, never for removing lugs/nuts/bolts
Sorry, I meant Impact Wrench. My fault, I keep confusing them.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
1262 posts
676 upvotes
Vancouver
Jesticle wrote: This is the correct information. My cheater pipe snapped when the crank bolt finally gave and loosened. When the pipe snapped in half, it came up and took a nice chunk out of my arm. Scar lasted for years, and I should have used a high torque impact. My guess is about 5-600 ft/lbs of torque to break a stubborn crank pulley bolt loose.
Yea, based on the length of pipe and how much weight I put into it, 500-600ftlbs is probably what it took to remove the bolt. I also had a moving blanket on top of the pipe to dampen flying shrapnel if the pipe snapped.
Sr. Member
Jan 10, 2006
638 posts
481 upvotes
How many of you remove the battery from the tools for storage? Manual says to do this.

Usually it's a good idea due to parasitic drain, but I measured negligible current (~0.3uA) which makes me wonder if there's any point. Any other parasitic drain measurements?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 5, 2006
7486 posts
1453 upvotes
Toronto
fizikz wrote: How many of you remove the battery from the tools for storage? Manual says to do this.

Usually it's a good idea due to parasitic drain, but I measured negligible current (~0.3uA) which makes me wonder if there's any point. Any other parasitic drain measurements?

I leave my batteries installed and they show 4 bars after weeks of sitting around.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 21, 2003
5305 posts
2551 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
fizikz wrote: How many of you remove the battery from the tools for storage? Manual says to do this.

Usually it's a good idea due to parasitic drain, but I measured negligible current (~0.3uA) which makes me wonder if there's any point. Any other parasitic drain measurements?
I separate mine but more so for organization. I used my 3D printer to make battery mounts and ones for the tools which make use of the battery connection.
Sr. Member
Jan 10, 2006
638 posts
481 upvotes
Inno wrote: I leave my batteries installed and they show 4 bars after weeks of sitting around.
Lithium ion batteries should hold a charge for a long time (years). If it dropped a bar (25%) in weeks, that would suggest a bad battery or some large (eg. ~1mA) parasitic drain.
ChicoQuente wrote: I separate mine but more so for organization. I used my 3D printer to make battery mounts and ones for the tools which make use of the battery connection.
That's some next level organization!
Member
User avatar
Nov 24, 2007
494 posts
421 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
turbo_slug wrote: Yea, based on the length of pipe and how much weight I put into it, 500-600ftlbs is probably what it took to remove the bolt. I also had a moving blanket on top of the pipe to dampen flying shrapnel if the pipe snapped.
Reminds me of my experiences with crank bolts. Back in the 1990s I had to change the timing belt on my '92 Miata, but as recent graduate with large student loans I had the most basic manual tools only. The trick that all us "young guys" used then was to put an impact socket on a breaker bar on the crank bolt, wedge it against the frame rail wrapped in blankets (with a few more thrown on top for SAFETY, because safety is always first Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes)... and then close your eyes and give the starter a quick blip :facepalm:. Today I would strongly recommend AGAINST anyone trying this, but a bunch of us did it without any issues... in fact, one of those guys is now considered one of (if not the) top Miata guru in NA (maybe the world) today.

I spent 5 years participating heavily in autocross and track days, swapping tires on Saturday evening and again on Sunday evening... all with the crank scissor jack, a cross-style tire iron, and a princess auto torque wrench. I still have that torque wrench almost 30 years later; when it's been tested it's still within 5% of the indicated torque setting. I have always been very conscientious about storing it at the lowest marked setting.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3939 posts
2682 upvotes
Montreal
EnyCe wrote: The High Torque impact wrench is now on sale for -$100 off on top of the battery event. When OP posted this, it was at regular price.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ridgid ... 1001539115
Damn that's a good price, would jump on it if I didn't already have one from my usual brand.

Although keep in mind these high torque models needs BIG batteries to produce their full torque, at least 6AH, preferably 8+.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2008
7604 posts
5573 upvotes
I just bought the mid range one last night for $189 plus the free starter kit. Might as well get this for $10 more I guess?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 23, 2009
3603 posts
1144 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
tietherope wrote: I just bought the mid range one last night for $189 plus the free starter kit. Might as well get this for $10 more I guess?
Keep in mind the HT variant is mad heavy compared to MT.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2008
7604 posts
5573 upvotes
EnyCe wrote: Keep in mind the HT variant is mad heavy compared to MT.
Fair point. Looks to be 6.5 pounds vs. 3.5 pounds.

It would just be for tire changes and then whatever unknown use comes up at some random point in time.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6357 posts
189 upvotes
tietherope wrote: I just bought the mid range one last night for $189 plus the free starter kit. Might as well get this for $10 more I guess?
One of each.
Newbie
Jan 19, 2012
2 posts
3 upvotes
Edmonton
just bought the High torque impact wrench at Calgary NE, return the battery, the price is $99.5 plus tax, this one is a beast, for the price and LSA, that's a no-brainer
Member
Jun 27, 2018
292 posts
261 upvotes
Canadians get a tool + 4Ah Regular Battery kit -$199
US get tool+ 4An Maxoutput Battery kit -$119

Neutral FaceNeutral Face
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6357 posts
189 upvotes
spscott wrote: just bought the High torque impact wrench at Calgary NE, return the battery, the price is $99.5 plus tax, this one is a beast, for the price and LSA, that's a no-brainer
Yeah, seems to be the kind of tool that is good to have on a shelf for when you might eventually need it (usually late at night or during the week-end when everything is closed)
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2018
2146 posts
1579 upvotes
tietherope wrote: Fair point. Looks to be 6.5 pounds vs. 3.5 pounds.

It would just be for tire changes and then whatever unknown use comes up at some random point in time.
You won't need high torque then
Sr. Member
Jul 11, 2007
519 posts
133 upvotes
GTA
EnyCe wrote: The High Torque impact wrench is now on sale for -$100 off on top of the battery event. When OP posted this, it was at regular price.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ridgid ... 1001539115
I am seeing $299, is this a regular price?

also is this kit a better deal? it come with high torque impact, and max ouput battery and charger for $379.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ridgid-18v-brushless-cordless-high-torque-impact-wrench-kit-with-4-0-ah-max-output-battery-and-charger/1001660549?rrec=true

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)