Hot Deals

Home Depot

RIDGID March / April Promo -- Buy a Select RIDGID Tool, Get a FREE 2Ah/4Ah Starter Kit -- Ends May 18th

  • Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2022 9:18 pm
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 23, 2009
3603 posts
1144 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
jzmtl wrote: Damn that's a good price, would jump on it if I didn't already have one from my usual brand.

Although keep in mind these high torque models needs BIG batteries to produce their full torque, at least 6AH, preferably 8+.
The battery capacity is irrelevant, you'd need the Max Output batteries (the new Octane). This promo only includes the regular batteries.
Sr. Member
Jul 11, 2007
519 posts
133 upvotes
GTA
EnyCe wrote:
thanks for sharing the receipt! Smiling Face With Open Mouth I search the HD stores around my area and found Leaside store also have this special price at $199 (with tool and battery deal), in store pickup order placed!
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3939 posts
2682 upvotes
Montreal
EnyCe wrote: The battery capacity is irrelevant, you'd need the Max Output batteries (the new Octane). This promo only includes the regular batteries.
It is absolutely relevant. Bigger capacity translate into more and bigger cells, and that almost always means higher discharge current and less voltage drop. Even several years old models like Milwaukee high torque made quite a bit more power when paird with 12ah over 5 ah. All these new high torque impact wrenches are very power hungry and a mere 4ah, max output or not, will not supply enough current to produce their max torque.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
7848 posts
7999 upvotes
EnyCe wrote: The battery capacity is irrelevant, you'd need the Max Output batteries (the new Octane). This promo only includes the regular batteries.
Not fully true.

The 2AH batteries are composed of a single string of cells connected in series.

The 4AH batteries have two strings of cells in series, the 6AH have 3 strings, and the 8AH have 4 strings.

The number of strings in series directly impacts the equivalent internal resistance of the pack, a 4AH pack of the same type of cells will always be able to deliver higher peak power than a 2AH pack.

The 'Max Output' and 'Octane' packs have cells that are more optimized for peak current than the 'regular packs', but nothing will beat more series connected strings of cells.

Note that this is engineering, so a cell more optimized for peak current than another will have compromises made in other areas, i.e. the cell will cost more, the capacity might be less, etc.

I can't speak to what this particular tool needs for max performance, but in general, the more powerful the tool, the higher capacity pack you should go for.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 23, 2009
3603 posts
1144 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
repatch wrote: Not fully true.

The 2AH batteries are composed of a single string of cells connected in series.

The 4AH batteries have two strings of cells in series, the 6AH have 3 strings, and the 8AH have 4 strings.

The number of strings in series directly impacts the equivalent internal resistance of the pack, a 4AH pack of the same type of cells will always be able to deliver higher peak power than a 2AH pack.

The 'Max Output' and 'Octane' packs have cells that are more optimized for peak current than the 'regular packs', but nothing will beat more series connected strings of cells.

Note that this is engineering, so a cell more optimized for peak current than another will have compromises made in other areas, i.e. the cell will cost more, the capacity might be less, etc.

I can't speak to what this particular tool needs for max performance, but in general, the more powerful the tool, the higher capacity pack you should go for.
It is absolutely relevant. Bigger capacity translate into more and bigger cells, and that almost always means higher discharge current and less voltage drop. Even several years old models like Milwaukee high torque made quite a bit more power when paird with 12ah over 5 ah. All these new high torque impact wrenches are very power hungry and a mere 4ah, max output or not, will not supply enough current to produce their max torque.
Thanks for the insight guys. I'm only aware the Max Output/Octane batteries has an extra connector that communicates with the tool and the 8Ah Max Output battery in particular, has different cells in them.

I personally don't use any batteries above 4Ah, it's too heavy and causes a lot of fatigue especially with heavier tools.
Sr. Member
Nov 7, 2005
687 posts
439 upvotes
Winnipeg
IF you buy the high torque impact wrench online with the free battery, are you able to return the battery only in store? There were no combos available locally, so I bought one online.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2008
7604 posts
5573 upvotes
dacrusher wrote: IF you buy the high torque impact wrench online with the free battery, are you able to return the battery only in store? There were no combos available locally, so I bought one online.
No, that doesn't work with online orders.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
1371 posts
1822 upvotes
sorry. but why return the battery? the wrench is tool only.
Jr. Member
Nov 27, 2011
128 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
ben2003 wrote: sorry. but why return the battery? the wrench is tool only.
I have batteries and this is just a regular 4ah. I would rather get a sale on a high output or octane battery.
Jr. Member
Apr 3, 2015
174 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ben2003 wrote: sorry. but why return the battery? the wrench is tool only.
Most of us have batteries from previous promos and mostly because the battery that comes free with this tool is insufficient to get all of the power out of the high torque impact.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 21, 2003
5305 posts
2551 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
ben2003 wrote: sorry. but why return the battery? the wrench is tool only.
Because many of us are already well stocked in Ridgid batteries and by returning the battery kit we can get the tool for significantly cheaper.
Sr. Member
Nov 7, 2005
687 posts
439 upvotes
Winnipeg
Has anyone that ordered the impact wrench to be delivered gotten a shipping notice yet? I ordered on the 3rd and haven't seen anything. I had a second order for other Ridgid devices yesterday, and doordash delivered them today!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2008
7604 posts
5573 upvotes
dacrusher wrote: Has anyone that ordered the impact wrench to be delivered gotten a shipping notice yet? I ordered on the 3rd and haven't seen anything. I had a second order for other Ridgid devices yesterday, and doordash delivered them today!
Ordered on the 3rd with express delivery and received it yesterday.
Newbie
Jan 6, 2017
13 posts
7 upvotes
Ordered the last one in Newmarket online, and picked up today. No inventory in most stores in Gta.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2008
7604 posts
5573 upvotes
Just changed my tires with the high torque impact wrench. No issues at all of course as it is overkill. However, it is quite hefty as others have said. I didn't think it would matter as it's "just" 6.5 pounds. It wasn't a deal-breaker, but it was pretty noticeably.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1905 posts
2012 upvotes
After a month of using the mid torque 1/2 inch drive impact gun with the 4 amp battery in shop usage, I can say it performs very well.

But a few things to know. The older style chargers worked a lot faster than this. Took about 4-5 hours to charge. But the battery stays cool. The older fast chargers charge in about a hour, but would heat up the battery. So there's a tradeoff. Maybe this new charger helps prolong battery life.

The bottom of the battery should have had rubber protectors like milwaukee 18 volts have. If you stand the gun on rough concrete, you can see gouges at the bottom of the battery. I used a few layers of duct tape for protection, looks messy but it works.

The gun needs an optional protective boot similar to Milwaukee, otherwise it gets scratched up. There's a part number at HD USA for a boot, but not available in Canada.

Based on a months usage, I would buy it again.
Newbie
Jan 17, 2018
7 posts
17 upvotes
Has anyone tried this to get the battery packs for free? I imagine they wouldn't let you return the tool without returning the battery
Sr. Member
Oct 18, 2007
588 posts
549 upvotes
Toronto
Inno wrote: I leave my batteries installed and they show 4 bars after weeks of sitting around.
Same

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)