Hot Deals

Home Depot

RIDGID and RYOBI Charged Up! Event (Ends Oct 2nd)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2022 6:40 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
1953 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto

[Home Depot] RIDGID and RYOBI Charged Up! Event (Ends Oct 2nd)

Looks like we're back again, this time with a combo Ryobi and Ridgid "buy a tool and get a free battery kit" event that runs until Oct 2nd (and starts today August 4th).

Event link: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/catego ... event.html

More details to follow, but based on a quick scan I'd say this deal is probably less attractive than the earlier spring deal with no 4.0Ah starter kits on offer for the more expensive tools. However, there may be some new tools on offer.

As per usual:
  • One of the main draws of this promo is the ability to return the battery kit to lower the overall price paid for the tool. However, there were / are reports that Home Depot is cracking down on this, so would appreciate any reports on success / failure.
  • If pursuing the return, best practice is to not show the receipt but just present the battery kit with your credit card -- they can look up the CC and issue the return without the receipt. I've had a lot of success with this method but it may depend on store or agent.
  • Note: this only works for in-store purchases, and not online purchases.

Formula to calculate the return price of the battery:
Tool Value + Battery Value = Toolbattery
Battery Value / Toolbattery = DISCOUNT
DISCOUNT * Tool Value = return price of battery

Deal flyer that I saw in-store:
Click here for jumbo version for detail

And a special event promo at my local location:
Embiggen

Enter the contest! Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes https://tti-group.vev.site/ryobi-charged-up-contest/

Tour dates: https://tti-group.vev.site/charged-up-tour/ -- in the past these tour events have been good for some free swag. I got a decent Ryobi tape measure at the last one, just by asking.

--
Last edited by Sephora on Aug 4th, 2022 5:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
278 replies
Dec 24, 2009
57 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
Looking to get into Ridgid or Ryobi. I don't own either. Have lots of Milwaukee automotive related tools due to work but looking into some things for jobs around the home. Is one platform preffered over the other?

Thinking circular saw, jigsaw, table saw, landscaping tools, etc.

Thanks
Sep 10, 2013
206 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
1mangoo wrote: Looking to get into Ridgid or Ryobi. I don't own either. Have lots of Milwaukee automotive related tools due to work but looking into some things for jobs around the home. Is one platform preffered over the other?

Thanks
Here's a summary of what I've gathered after weeks of trying to answer the same question:

Ryobi --
Less expensive
Much larger selection of tools (including outdoor, landscaping, etc)
"Lower quality" (doesn't "feel" as good, tools start getting hot quicker, may not last as long, etc.)

Ridgid --
More expensive than Ryobi, but cheaper than Milwaukee/Dewalt/Bosch/etc
Lifetime warranty, free service and free batteries
Smaller selection of tools - no outdoor ones as far as I can tell
Higher quality, generally speaking

If anyone has any further advice, glad to hear it

I personally went to Direct Tools in Vaughan and snapped up a Ryobi impact driver and hammer drill with a 1.5 aH battery for a total of ~ $80 or so on a 20% off sale. They'll let me do a few small projects that I have immediately in mind (build & install deck skirt, build gate, build weight plate tree, replace a deck board or two) and keep me satiated until Black Friday where I may upgrade to Ridgid, depending on how I feel.

Edit -- note the impact driver was factory-reconditioned and the hammer drill was factory-blemished.
Last edited by knightmayor on Aug 4th, 2022 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1624 posts
1175 upvotes
1mangoo wrote: Looking to get into Ridgid or Ryobi. I don't own either. Have lots of Milwaukee automotive related tools due to work but looking into some things for jobs around the home. Is one platform preffered over the other?

Thanks
Ryobi, it's a no brainer. They have fantastic selection, fantastic sales, and some very premium and even some exclusive tools. Neither has a great circular saw though. But not sure if you really need a great saw or just a saw. Milwaukee M18 has the best large circular saw 7-1/4 as per For table saw you probably want wired right? And so you should wait for a nice sale on DeWalt or Bosch. Landscaping: Ryobi 40v is great. But the snow blower I got from them a couple of years ago was not good.
Last edited by elfion on Aug 4th, 2022 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2002
6145 posts
582 upvotes
Quebec
for me ryobi batteries are 2/3 failure. ridigid is 3/3 alive and under the lifetime service warranty. ridgid all the way. got rid of my ryobi this week just because I had one battery left, and didn't trust to buy more.
Aug 29, 2012
234 posts
248 upvotes
WINNIPEG
Seems like an alright deal. I've been keeping an eye on EGO stuff. Apparently their snowblower is amazing.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1624 posts
1175 upvotes
fakishan wrote: for me ryobi batteries are 2/3 failure. ridigid is 3/3 alive and under the lifetime service warranty. ridgid all the way. got rid of my ryobi this week just because I had one battery left, and didn't trust to buy more.
I have a total of maybe 9 or 10 Ryobi 18v batteries, some of which are 5 years old. Not a single one of them has any issues.
Sep 10, 2013
206 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
themikewoo wrote: Seems like an alright deal. I've been keeping an eye on EGO stuff. Apparently their snowblower is amazing.
Ah yes forgot to mention in my above post --

I bought into the EGO ecosystem a year or two ago. Have their mower, trimmer, and snowblower. All really solid quality stuff. As I've already got their batteries, this is what's slightly tilting me away from Ryobi towards Ridgid - don't really have a need for their outdoor selection of tools.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1624 posts
1175 upvotes
themikewoo wrote: Seems like an alright deal. I've been keeping an eye on EGO stuff. Apparently their snowblower is amazing.
Which one? I may be looking for a 2 stage at some point.
Nov 23, 2009
902 posts
510 upvotes
Vaughan
Are you able to get the free batteries with the combo kits?
SSD
Jun 29, 2020
59 posts
43 upvotes
Probably going to try the return trick for the Multitool. Thanks OP!
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
3669 posts
877 upvotes
Scarborough
Anyone know the return value of the battery?

Interested in the ryobi sawzall.
Oct 17, 2015
116 posts
63 upvotes
QC
So say I buy the vacuum at $80, then successfully return the battery kit, which priced at 99, I'll have the vacuum (tool only) for free. Can someone confirm? Thanks
Aug 13, 2021
118 posts
75 upvotes
[*]If pursuing the return, best practice is to not show the receipt but just present the battery kit with your credit card -- they can look up the CC and issue the return without the receipt. I've had a lot of success with this method but it may depend on store or agent.
[*]Note: this only works for in-store purchases, and not online purchases.
[/list]
[/quote]

Even if you don't show the receipt still they no that return thing you got this with free tool/battery. It pops up on there screen that this return is with free item. I saw it on there screen and they also told to me when I was returning free stuff that you will not get full refund because you got group discount on this thing. Actually it's depends on store to store if they are OK with this returning thing then they accept return otherwise they will say return both items.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6433 posts
3992 upvotes
Toronto
Devildyer wrote: [*]If pursuing the return, best practice is to not show the receipt but just present the battery kit with your credit card -- they can look up the CC and issue the return without the receipt. I've had a lot of success with this method but it may depend on store or agent.
[*]Note: this only works for in-store purchases, and not online purchases.
[/list]

Even if you don't show the receipt still they no that return thing you got this with free tool/battery. It pops up on there screen that this return is with free item. I saw it on there screen and they also told to me when I was returning free stuff that you will not get full refund because you got group discount on this thing. Actually it's depends on store to store if they are OK with this returning thing then they accept return otherwise they will say return both items.
Thats because you are expecting full value on the battery return. If you can accept the partial value as your receipt says, then your return will smoother.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1324 posts
568 upvotes
Victoria
I had no cordless tools until recently and I jumped on an amazing deal to get Rigid drill & driver set. I really love this set, and the small batteries it came with are perfect and light weight for drill &driver activities. However, it was a complete no research purchase because of the deal at the time. Soon after I ended up also getting into the Ryobi line, because the number of tools is staggering... they have something for just about anything you can think of, both indoor and outdoor. I quickly started buying tools, lights, inflators, etc. For me, I don't need high end profession tools, so Ryobi is perfect. Would I buy the Rigid again if I had to do it again... maybe, as I really like the sub compact brushless. I'd probably never pay full price for that set as it's overkill for what I need, but I'm glad I have them. It's actually kind of nice to be in both battery lines, because then depending on sale/deal you can buy accordingly (or you can get battery adapters if you wish).
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2004
1337 posts
278 upvotes
elfion wrote: Ryobi, it's a no brainer. They have fantastic selection, fantastic sales, and some very premium and even some exclusive tools. Neither has a great circular saw though. But not sure if you really need a great saw or just a saw. Milwaukee M18 has the best large circular saw 7-1/4 as per For table saw you probably want wired right? And so you should wait for a nice sale on DeWalt or Bosch. Landscaping: Ryobi 40v is great. But the snow blower I got from them a couple of years ago was not good.
Not sure I agree with this. Our household has Ryobi, Ridgid, DeWalt and Milwaukee cordless tools. Not my choice, but different people in the household have bought different products when they were on sales.

My take on things is that you won't find a single brand that does EVERYTHING well. But for your cordless, you should probably try to pick a max of two ecosystems to support. For me, that is Ridgid (LSA, despite knowing in practice it may not be great, just the confidence of having it was enough) and Milwaukee (most complementary in terms of good tools at a reasonable price). That being said, neither of those brands has a great table saw, so I'll probably go corded DeWalt.

Lastly, and this has been said a handful of times in other forums - but Milwaukee, Ridgid, Ryobi are generally owned (or licensed) by the same company. Their relationship globally is a bit complex, but in speaking to a Ridgid/Ryobi rep earlier this Spring, he suggested that TTi (the parent company) will start selling "yard" equipment that works on the Ridgid platform in the next year or two. While I'm not going to bank on that and am also not in the market for much yard equipment, this would pretty much eliminate the Ryobi advantage.

And take my anecdotal experience for just what it is.. but our Ryobi batteries have had very poor performance compared to Ridgid, Milwaukee or DeWalt.

FYI: I'm a hobbyist (at best), not a carpenter or professional woodworker.
Last edited by Trigger on Aug 4th, 2022 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 12, 2019
50 posts
70 upvotes

Thanks
Go with Ridgid, 3D print a battery adapter to use Ridgid batteries on Ryobi tools, and then use that for the odd landscaping tool or w/e you need from Ryobi.

If you know you're going to need a lot of tools that are Ryobi-specific, then ofc just go Ryobi. Their tools have gotten markedly better over the years. But as far as the core tools go (drill, driver, impact wrench, angle grinder, recip saw, etc.), the brushless Ridgid tools are better and can take some serious abuse. Also, I own like 8 Ridgid batteries and have not had a single battery failure in the few years I've owned them.
Apr 9, 2012
397 posts
164 upvotes
In the past there would be a max return value on the receipt for both the tool and battery. Did this a bunch last year and would get approx 30-40 back for the batteries.

Please post values as you make purchases. TIA

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

kiyoku