• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2017 11:37 am
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5088 posts
1884 upvotes
Toronto
woolo wrote: I went to woodbridge store yesterday around 6pm oos alrdy :(

The lady said 400 / major Mac has 2 left.
That store can't find them, as I went there first after OP mentioned Vaughan.

I didn't take a look at receipt carefully.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1493 upvotes
Montreal
cost so much more than the light i bought, but might as well try to get a few.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1454 upvotes
Richmond
MrFrugal1 wrote: lDK. The HD near me has certainly alloted a big chunk of shelf space to Milwaukee recently.
HD in Richmond BC has been doing a major display shelf overhaul in the tool section as well, and it looks like they are now devoting a lot more space to Milwaukee. But they just had a "Ridgid day" last weekend with special displays of Ridgid tools, and now they have a "Ryobi event" on. Sadly these special days and events don't seem to involve any discounts, just extra promotion.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
6205 posts
5372 upvotes
Calgary
X24Secret wrote: Are you really that naive?

Why does Android use USB and Apple use Lightning connector?

Small part of it is engineering or design, but the biggest reason is economic ecosystem. If everyone had the same battery/connector/charger it would severely bite in to profits of tool industry.

Some tool standards:

-All corded tools in the same country use the same voltage and plug.
-Nearly all non-electric outdoor power equipment uses gas as fuel.
-The screws holding the tools together are in either metric or fractional format
-The power cells comprising the cordless tool batteries are of the same form factor (Sub-C in the NiCd era, and 18650 in the Li-ion era of today)
-Output and performance characteristics across tool classes are fairly standardized.

Nearly all consumables and bits are standardized:
a. All reciprocating saw blades use the same shank (originally developed by Milwaukee)
b. All jigsaw blades come in either T or U shank format.
c. All small rotary hammers use the SDS (Plus) format bit, (originally developed by Bosch), Most larger ones use SDS-Max or Spline
d. Most circular saw blades come in standard sizes, like 6.5″, 7.25″, 10″ and 12″.
e. Angle grinder wheel arbors are standardized at 5/8 and 7/8
f. Nearly all small electronic measuring tools use standard disposable battery sizes AA, AAA, 9v etc.
g. Router bit shank diameters are standardized at 1/4″ and 1/2″.
h. Although there are several oscillating tool bit formats out there, each manufacturer is going out of their way to make adapters for other brand’s bits.

Apple uses lightning because it is a lot better than USB was. They should standardize these batteries as an Industry standard.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1493 upvotes
Montreal
bkushner wrote: Some tool standards:

-All corded tools in the same country use the same voltage and plug.
-Nearly all non-electric outdoor power equipment uses gas as fuel.
-The screws holding the tools together are in either metric or fractional format
-The power cells comprising the cordless tool batteries are of the same form factor (Sub-C in the NiCd era, and 18650 in the Li-ion era of today)
-Output and performance characteristics across tool classes are fairly standardized.

Nearly all consumables and bits are standardized:
a. All reciprocating saw blades use the same shank (originally developed by Milwaukee)
b. All jigsaw blades come in either T or U shank format.
c. All small rotary hammers use the SDS (Plus) format bit, (originally developed by Bosch), Most larger ones use SDS-Max or Spline
d. Most circular saw blades come in standard sizes, like 6.5″, 7.25″, 10″ and 12″.
e. Angle grinder wheel arbors are standardized at 5/8 and 7/8
f. Nearly all small electronic measuring tools use standard disposable battery sizes AA, AAA, 9v etc.
g. Router bit shank diameters are standardized at 1/4″ and 1/2″.
h. Although there are several oscillating tool bit formats out there, each manufacturer is going out of their way to make adapters for other brand’s bits.

Apple uses lightning because it is a lot better than USB was. They should standardize these batteries as an Industry standard.

A lot of what you mention is actually not true and is completely wrong in this comparison. For example, Apple and Android use a different cable. But they both use cables. Simarlarily, I have two different tools sitting beside me with screws holding them together...but they are different sizes. So, I need two different tools to open them up just like I need two different cables to charge my two phones. All tools do not use the exact same bolt.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2215 posts
1690 upvotes
Montreal, QC
hdom wrote: Good deal, was thinking to buy one as a back up but remembered I registered my battery so I am good for "life time" replacement if they go bad.

This is great for people that really need the extra capacity to swap battery on a job, however.
Registered your battery ? I'm assuming batteries which were part of some tool kit ? Batteries registered as part of a Tool kit, are eligible for the LSA (Lifetime service agreement).

However, keep in mind that Ridgid batteries NOT part of a tool kit (ie: purchased separately, on their own) are only covered by the standard 3 yr warranty, no LSA.

This kit probably does qualify for LSA, since it includes a charger.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7722 posts
1603 upvotes
They were part of a kit for sure but good to know and main reason to love Ridgid tools.
Emporium wrote: Registered your battery ? I'm assuming batteries which were part of some tool kit ? Batteries registered as part of a Tool kit, are eligible for the LSA (Lifetime service agreement).

However, keep in mind that Ridgid batteries NOT part of a tool kit (ie: purchased separately, on their own) are only covered by the standard 3 yr warranty, no LSA.

This kit probably does qualify for LSA, since it includes a charger.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1454 upvotes
Richmond
Emporium wrote: keep in mind that Ridgid batteries NOT part of a tool kit (ie: purchased separately, on their own) are only covered by the standard 3 yr warranty, no LSA.
If anyone does register this kit for LSA successfully, please post here to confirm. If so, buying a "kit" with a charger is a good way to obtain extra batteries that qualify for the LSA in future.

Ridgid does allow you to register the replacement batteries for the LSA if you replace your old batteries using LSA coverage, but you must do so within 90 days of replacement. The replacement batteries do not get added to the LSA automatically, as many people have discovered when they went to replace them for the 2nd time.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5088 posts
1884 upvotes
Toronto
Faith24 wrote: If anyone does register this kit for LSA successfully, please post here to confirm. If so, buying a "kit" with a charger is a good way to obtain extra batteries that qualify for the LSA in future.

Ridgid does allow you to register the replacement batteries for the LSA if you replace your old batteries using LSA coverage, but you must do so within 90 days of replacement. The replacement batteries do not get added to the LSA automatically, as many people have discovered when they went to replace them for the 2nd time.
How does LSA work for batteries?

Send old in, get new back?
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1454 upvotes
Richmond
rebel_rfd wrote: How does LSA work for batteries?

Send old in, get new back?
Reports vary.

Some Home Depots say you can just bring in the bad battery, they give it a quick test to confirm it's bad, then they will replace it from stock and send the old one back to Ridgid.

But many customers say no, it's not that easy. They had to go to the local authorized Ridgid service shop, bringing in their original sales receipt and the entire kit they bought, including all the tools, batteries, chargers etc., apparently under directions from Ridgid to verify that the battery has not been sold on separately. If the service shop then verifies that the battery is bad, they send it in to Ridgid and you get a replacement back several weeks later.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2010
2075 posts
1045 upvotes
Toronto
Faith24 wrote: Reports vary.

Some Home Depots say you can just bring in the bad battery, they give it a quick test to confirm it's bad, then they will replace it from stock and send the old one back to Ridgid.

But many customers say no, it's not that easy. They had to go to the local authorized Ridgid service shop, bringing in their original sales receipt and the entire kit they bought, including all the tools, batteries, chargers etc., apparently under directions from Ridgid to verify that the battery has not been sold on separately. If the service shop then verifies that the battery is bad, they send it in to Ridgid and you get a replacement back several weeks later.
that's right, i have read the same so far. it would be awesome if you can just return to HD and get a new replacement on spot lol... just like 'genius bar' haha
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
11512 posts
2939 upvotes
I had to replace my 18v batteries a couple of years ago. Contacted Ridgid, they gave me the local number for the authorized repair shop... contacted him, gave him the serial numbers and model of my batteries, he called me a couple of weeks later, I took the old batteries to him and he gave me the new ones that Ridgid sent to him for me.

For those that found this starter set, for me it shows as an online only item... even if I change the postal code. Were these store returns, etc?
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7109 posts
1169 upvotes
Toronto
Stores did have limited stock of these. I phoned all the stores near me in Toronto east-end and all are out of stock.

Although their system might show 1 or 2 they can't find any.
Mar 25, 2010
884 posts
117 upvotes
GTA
jackass_ca wrote: I had to replace my 18v batteries a couple of years ago. Contacted Ridgid, they gave me the local number for the authorized repair shop... contacted him, gave him the serial numbers and model of my batteries, he called me a couple of weeks later, I took the old batteries to him and he gave me the new ones that Ridgid sent to him for me.

For those that found this starter set, for me it shows as an online only item... even if I change the postal code. Were these store returns, etc?
When you did the warranty replacement. Was your battery under 3 years warranty or LSA? I am wonder if they treat it differently.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
11512 posts
2939 upvotes
codier wrote: When you did the warranty replacement. Was your battery under 3 years warranty or LSA? I am wonder if they treat it differently.
LSA. The batteries must have been at least 8 yrs old. I hardly used the drill, I bought the Ridgid drill with 2 batteries, years ago.. it was a great deal, can't remember how cheap... Then after buying that unit, I bought the cordless planer, takes the same batteries.

Here ya go... bought it 10 yrs ago...
merged-hd-ridgid-18v-drill-case-2-batte ... -a-448817/
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.