• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2019 5:28 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1210 posts
583 upvotes
kazryv wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2019 4:16 pm
You've posted that in both threads about this device... That's what home surveillance is, voluntary spy device outside your home.
Not when you have control over your devices. And people should be aware of what they're installing.
Jun 19, 2010
376 posts
246 upvotes
Vancouver
andersb wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2019 4:18 pm
Not when you have control over your devices. And people should be aware of what they're installing.
Did you read the article? You do have control. You can opt not to share with law enforcement.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1210 posts
583 upvotes
kazryv wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2019 4:24 pm
Did you read the article? You do have control. You can opt not to share with law enforcement.
It's a matter of policy, you don't control "your" device. They can push a firmware update at any time or change their ToS. Privacy laws always lag behind. You're uploading your footage on their cloud.

A smart person would buy a device that they control and only allow CCTV access over the internet via a VPN.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2003
7099 posts
1105 upvotes
London
andersb wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2019 5:08 pm
It's a matter of policy, you don't control "your" device. They can push a firmware update at any time or change their ToS. Privacy laws always lag behind. You're uploading your footage on their cloud.

A smart person would buy a device that they control and only allow CCTV access over the internet via a VPN.
Smart people aren't paranoid to the point of needing help. If you don't have anything to hide who gives a crap?? Sounds like YOU have a lot to hide.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1210 posts
583 upvotes
Hibbing wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2019 6:21 pm
Smart people aren't paranoid to the point of needing help. If you don't have anything to hide who gives a crap?? Sounds like YOU have a lot to hide.
Nice troll.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
9229 posts
783 upvotes
Toronto
Just picked this up. Excited to install it. Previous home owner had an adt system but I'm not on board with paying their fees.
Nov 23, 2016
20 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks OP. Was waiting for a sale, ended up going for the BB kit with the range extender, two keypads, three door/window sensors and two motion sensors.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28775 posts
14581 upvotes
Ottawa
mcg wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2019 7:17 pm
Just picked this up. Excited to install it. Previous home owner had an adt system but I'm not on board with paying their fees.
If you're looking at self monitoring, you can hook up an Envisalink module to the existing panel.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28775 posts
14581 upvotes
Ottawa
andersb wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2019 5:08 pm

Here you go...

Nov 11, 2006
403 posts
246 upvotes
@ home
I bought the Lowes one with 1 contact the other day .. probably will return it.

Bought this package online, couldn't find it in store (Ajax claims to have 9 in stock).

Thanks OP.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
9229 posts
783 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2019 10:45 pm
If you're looking at self monitoring, you can hook up an Envisalink module to the existing panel.
The current system I have is unfortunately locked and I do not know the password to it, the previous owner never gave it to me and long story short I don't want to deal with them.

My only recourse is to jump the system to do a factory reset (I tested the system and it is not under an installer lockout fortunately) but that would mean setting up every single sensor in the house again and that's too big of a task for me.

Or, I could join ADT for the minimum 3 years to regain access to the panel and equipment, and then quit after.
Apr 3, 2018
74 posts
27 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks OP! When will this deal expire?
Mar 14, 2016
90 posts
83 upvotes
Ontario
Trying to add to cart but the price details aren't loading at all. Deal dead?
Qui Tacet Consentire Videtur