• Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2020 9:44 pm
[OP]
Jun 6, 2015
80 posts
84 upvotes
Edmonton, AB

[Home Depot] Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Generation) for $99.99

Ring Video doorbell 2nd gen is on sale again in Canada. Seems to be OOS on Amazon, Bestbuy but I found some in HomeDepot. You can also order on ring.com but it might end up bit expensive due to currency conversions and foreign transaction fees.
Good price for entry level doorbell.
Last edited by TomRFD on Aug 27th, 2020 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: missing retailer
41 replies
Jan 22, 2013
229 posts
58 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Does this Ring doorbell require a subscription?
[OP]
Jun 6, 2015
80 posts
84 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Chi-tel wrote: get 10% off with PMing with lowes
https://www.lowes.ca/product/video-door ... l-2-788360
That's doorbell 2 whereas this one is 2nd gen. Doorbell 2 has been discontinued. The only difference between 2 and 2nd gen is way of charging battery (easier to charge doorbell 2 than 2nd gen). However all other features and hardware looks identical. If you can price match that somehow, will be a great deal......
[OP]
Jun 6, 2015
80 posts
84 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
baingar wrote: Does this Ring doorbell require a subscription?
All ring doorbells need subscription. A work around is to install a wyze or any other camera with storage looking at front door.
Jun 6, 2019
77 posts
104 upvotes
baingar wrote: Does this Ring doorbell require a subscription?
only if you want to review/download videos.
you are paying for cloud storage.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
6205 posts
5368 upvotes
Calgary
“Does anyone recognize this guy stealing my packages?” Seems to be the greatest usage of these on Facebook. Nobody ever recognizes the guy.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13042 posts
6852 upvotes
Southern Ontario
SammyDavis wrote: “Does anyone recognize this guy stealing my packages?” Seems to be the greatest usage of these on Facebook. Nobody ever recognizes the guy.
Lol, yep

Real uses... On my Show, browser or phone shows a solicitor, I'm not answering (unless I'm near the door to say "no thank you"). It's a neighbourhood kid, I tell my kid to answer the door. Had a MacBook Air delivered even though it was supposed to be diverted while we were away, I texted a neighbour to pick it up right away. Last year Costco delivered a 65" TV while I was at work, I communicated with the guy to put it in the garage, opened it with Meross, watched him with the Wyze inside, shut the garage.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5693 posts
1169 upvotes
Montreal
I have this doorbell.
Works well.

Subscription is US$30 or CAD$50.
The only way to I've found to pay in $US (which is considerably cheaper even with exchange) is to go through Amazon.com and select subscription details at the bottom of the product page.

I installed my doorbell about 6 weeks ago and its battery is at 51%. Integrates well with SmartThings, Echo Shows and other Amazon products. Doesn't work with Google Home.
Phils
Oct 27, 2009
504 posts
343 upvotes
Hamilton
Heck122 wrote: That's doorbell 2 whereas this one is 2nd gen. Doorbell 2 has been discontinued. The only difference between 2 and 2nd gen is way of charging battery (easier to charge doorbell 2 than 2nd gen). However all other features and hardware looks identical. If you can price match that somehow, will be a great deal......
And yet one retails at $249 and the other $125 ?
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2009
1229 posts
409 upvotes
SammyDavis wrote: “Does anyone recognize this guy stealing my packages?” Seems to be the greatest usage of these on Facebook. Nobody ever recognizes the guy.
If you have a "pro" that is taking the packages they will not care as it is likely they are from another municipality or will dress for the occasion. It will some spontaneous thefts and some solicitors
Aug 27, 2008
912 posts
608 upvotes
Ottawa
I’ve had the first gen for years. Works well except in the winter. The cold weather really hinders the battery and it can’t build/hold a charge as fast as it uses it. Once or twice during the winter months, I will detach the unit and let it warm up inside while it charges.

Otherwise it has been great. Might be a good time to upgrade and pass along the old unit to a family member.
Mar 8, 2008
44 posts
13 upvotes
Newmarket, Ontario
Subscription is only for recordings. Live view and notifications are free.