Expired Hot Deals

[Home Depot] Romex Wires 15% at Lowe's +10% off after Price Match with HD (ex. 14/2 75M. $45.xx)

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2020 12:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
43794 posts
4443 upvotes
Richmond Hill

[Home Depot] Romex Wires 15% at Lowe's +10% off after Price Match with HD (ex. 14/2 75M. $45.xx)

Assortment of Romex wires are 15% off at Lowe's this week. Price match at Home Depot for an extra 10% off.

I picked up a coil of 14/2 75M for only $45 + tax after price match. This seemed to be the best value in terms of price per foot, at least for the 14/2 variant. For comparison, 10M is $20.
Last edited by Jon Lai on May 17th, 2020 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
42 replies
Sep 27, 2004
838 posts
160 upvotes
Can also order directly from Lowes and use the $10 off $50 email signup code. Did this yesterday. Result was $40.59 for the 75m 14/2
Feb 28, 2016
890 posts
535 upvotes
FYI romex shouldn't be used for extension cords since its made out of solid copper, not stranded.
Mar 6, 2019
140 posts
183 upvotes
paintballdude05 wrote: FYI romex shouldn't be used for extension cords since its made out of solid copper, not stranded.
That should be a lot of fun to roll up for storage Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
3306 posts
975 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Jon Lai wrote: If you are looking to create your own extension cords, Princess Auto has Male and Female outlet adapters on sale for $2.99 and $3.99 respectively, rated for 15A.
FYI this contravenes the Canadian Electrical Code. NMD wire is not rated to be used as an extension cord. To anyone reading this thread, please don’t use the OP’s idea. It is very easy to damage NMD if treating it like an extension cord which can result in a short, fire or shock.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
43794 posts
4443 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ChicoQuente wrote: FYI this contravenes the Canadian Electrical Code. NMD wire is not rated to be used as an extension cord. To anyone reading this thread, please don’t use the OP’s idea. It is very easy to damage NMD if treating it like an extension cord which can result in a short, fire or shock.
Sorry, maybe extension cords weren't the right word - rather I meant wire pulls or drops where I don't want to cut open the wall, and where you can tie them down. I do this in my garage and terminate them into a PVC gang box, but I'm too lazy to cut open the drywall and repair it.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
3306 posts
975 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Jon Lai wrote: Sorry, maybe extension cords weren't the right word - rather I meant wire pulls or drops where I don't want to cut open the wall, and where you can tie them down. I do this in my garage and terminate them into a PVC gang box, but I'm too lazy to cut open the drywall and repair it.
You’re still doing things against code. You can’t put cords ends on the end of NMD wire. It’s not allowed.

Your second explanation is ALSO against code. You can’t run NMD on the face of a wall. NMD is cable that is intended to be used inside of walls, NOT outside the walls. If you need to run cable on the outside of a wall you should be using AC90 cable as it has mechanical protection and is approved to be on the drywall. Again you can not put cords ends on this cable either.

In my opinion you should be deleting this misinformation from your posts. It’s bad advice that does not meet code.

EDIT: fixed typos.

EDIT2: fixed ANOTHER typo! Ha ha
Last edited by ChicoQuente on May 17th, 2020 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 16, 2020
1 posts
1 upvote
Jon Lai wrote: Sorry, maybe extension cords weren't the right word - rather I meant wire pulls or drops where I don't want to cut open the wall, and where you can tie them down. I do this in my garage and terminate them into a PVC gang box, but I'm too lazy to cut open the drywall and repair it.
This is still not the right wire for this, and is dangerous. BX cable is what you should be using externally (Not extension cord), or cabtire if you are making an extension cord.

Please don't advise people to do what youre doing. If you can see a romex wire thats live (Exception being in an unfinished basement), something is wrong. Id edit that out of the original before someone tries what you said.
May 3, 2016
557 posts
319 upvotes
ChicoQuente wrote: You’re still doing things against code. You can’t put cords ends on the end of NMD wire. It’s not allowed.

Your second explanation is ALSO against code. You can’t run NMD on the face of a wall. NMD is cable that is intended to be used inside of walls, NOT outside the walls. If you need to run cable on the outside of a wall you should be using AC90 cable as it has mechanical protection and is approved to be on the drywall. Again you can not put cords ends on this cable either.

In my opinion you should be deleting this misinformation from your posts. It’s bad advice that does not meat code.

I lol-d

But yes to everything you said.
May 3, 2016
557 posts
319 upvotes
ChicoQuente wrote: Oops.
Meat happens lol

Quick question - you seem to know code pretty well - is there anything against me using 12/2 on a 15 Amp breaker/circuit (I know its normally used for 20AMP)?

Also, when running new wire behind walls - can it just be fished and not stapled (free floating)?

Apologies for laziness in looking up code lol
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
3306 posts
975 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
saad29 wrote: Meat happens lol

Quick question - you seem to know code pretty well - is there anything against me using 12/2 on a 15 Amp breaker/circuit (I know its normally used for 20AMP)?

Yes you are allowed to upsize your wire. For long runs you actually have to do so due to voltage drop.

Also, when running new wire behind walls - can it just be fished and not stapled (free floating)?

You are allowed to fish finished walls and leave cable as is.

See bold above.
Feb 28, 2016
890 posts
535 upvotes
saad29 wrote: Meat happens lol

No issues using 12/2 on a 15amp circuit.

Wires are supposed to be secured IRC 12" from the box, and around every 48" after that. Typically this is done with holes drilled through wood or staples. With that said, you should secure the wire to meet code, but inspectors do use common sense and can be lenient.
Jun 24, 2013
134 posts
170 upvotes
ChicoQuente wrote: You’re still doing things against code. You can’t put cords ends on the end of NMD wire. It’s not allowed.

In my opinion you should be deleting this misinformation from your posts. It’s bad advice that does not meet code.

Tell this to the guy that decided to put an end on an NMD wire, plug it into an outlet and then run not only the garage door opener but also the central vacuum of that circuit in my house (a previous owner). Electrical inspector walked right by it while inspecting another job.

I only discovered that rat's nest of wiring when my vacuum wouldn't work and I traced it back to that mess a couple of weeks ago.

This 14/2 on sale will be helpful in correcting this problem.

NMD can run on walls where it is not at risk of mechanical damage. My electrician ran conduit to the garage, up the wall, but across the ceiling it was left unprotected (drywalled ceiling) then in conduit back down the wall and it passed inspection.

Other than at or near ceiling level, I use conduits to protect the wire and it's always been ok.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
43794 posts
4443 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Point taken, I've removed the line. I'll get some conduit and put it inside that, should be fine right?