• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2019 12:47 pm
[OP]
Jan 25, 2008
939 posts
308 upvotes
Montréal

Home Depot Roof Replacement

Home Depot just quoted me 5400+ tax for a roof replacement (15% promo from their site) , 18 months interest free or payment plan. Which is all great.

What i am trying to understand is that they offered me a 100% 50 year warranty on roof and labour not prorated with timberline shingles. What's the scam?
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6417 posts
2854 upvotes
Paris
thesubmitter wrote:
May 21st, 2019 5:29 pm
Home Depot just quoted me 5400+ tax for a roof replacement (15% promo from their site) , 18 months interest free or payment plan. Which is all great.

What i am trying to understand is that they offered me a 100% 50 year warranty on roof and labour not prorated with timberline shingles. What's the scam?
Got the same warranty from GAF. No scam as far as I know, besides roofers might be out of business in 3 years.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
[OP]
Jan 25, 2008
939 posts
308 upvotes
Montréal
I was reading around apparently gaf makes u send them samples at your cost.

I just compared though HD is 25% more expensive than my cheapest quote.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1866 posts
886 upvotes
Toronto, ON
$5,400 for what size of roof? As that all-in after complete installation? l would like to look at Home Depot if they have 15% off if you could share the code.

Can you also expect good quality work from HD?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6417 posts
2854 upvotes
Paris
canoek wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 1:49 pm
Can you also expect good quality work from HD?
The biggest issue I have heard with box stores and roofing is that box stores require a criminal check and (this is a direct quote from a roofing company we went to a thing with) “Its hard to find a roofing crew without a record”.

So do they do good work? That depends. The guy that did my roof gave me multiple options (as I asked him too). Options for underlay that altered things $500, options for valleys that altered things $500... The folks behind us did theirs the cheap way and I could see it the day it went on. I guess we will see in 15 years if their roof is done before ours or not for the extra $1k we spent on ours at the time.
May 8, 2007
900 posts
236 upvotes
Fraser Valley, BC
A relative of mine used HD for a roof (that has skylights) in Calgary. Roofer was told that the skylights leaked due to poor original installation and was asked to buy and use additional specified hardware for proper skylight leak protection. Roofer didn’t comply with that, but insisted he knew how to install roofing around skylights with no leaks.

End result: new roof still leaks around the skylights. HD received complaint about this, did nothing to fix it.

HD does not guarantee the work of the roofer. You might get a good installation, or maybe not.

——————-
On my own roofing job (BC) I used an independent roofer. Roof turned out OK but not excellent. Found out afterwards he has a couple of theft charges, went bankrupt once, tried to go bankrupt again but judge refused, I think he’s one of those guys that refuses to pay income tax, still doing roof jobs.
Oct 22, 2016
203 posts
120 upvotes
Langley
Jerico wrote:
May 21st, 2019 6:14 pm
Got the same warranty from GAF. No scam as far as I know, besides roofers might be out of business in 3 years.
Other thread someone posted that GAF warranty is only able to transfer once to new owner.
May be worth double checking.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2098 posts
1431 upvotes
SW Ontario
Never use HD at home services ... they do not stand behind what they sell.

All they do is skim off the out sourced contractor
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6417 posts
2854 upvotes
Paris
User452441 wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 7:58 pm
Other thread someone posted that GAF warranty is only able to transfer once to new owner.
May be worth double checking.
Thats very typical with home warranties. Our windows are the same. Lifetime, transferable once. Some companies charge for the transfer and it must be done within 60 days of ownership change... just another way to break warranty.