Expired Hot Deals

Home Depot

RYOBI 12.5-inch Corded Benchtop Thickness Planer ($299)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2022 11:47 pm
[OP]
Sep 14, 2020
72 posts
139 upvotes

[Home Depot] RYOBI 12.5-inch Corded Benchtop Thickness Planer ($299)

I was looking for a low-cost planer for DIY and found this on StockTrack.

This is the lowest I have seen for a thickness planer.

https://stocktrack.ca/?s=hd&sku=1001608075
10 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2008
1088 posts
1109 upvotes
Do I need this? Serious question for potential DIYs
Nov 30, 2016
69 posts
45 upvotes
cbr600 wrote: Do I need this? Serious question for potential DIYs
It depends on what type of DIYs you are interested in? If you just build things like shelves occasionally or do some general maintenance and repairs ( i.e outdoor deck repair), no you don't need a planer or a jointer.
However, if you want to get into woodworking and start building things like a tabletop, chairs or other furniture's, then yes, you will need at least a planer to make rough cut lumber into squared-up and flat smooth pieces (commonly known as s4s grade). S4S grade wood are available for sale at a much higher cost. I think you can recoup the cost of a planer from just one big project.
Feb 16, 2010
11 posts
9 upvotes
Pembroke
When I click on link showing $449
May 3, 2022
139 posts
208 upvotes
Ryobi fanboy here but I still feel like it's worth spending the $129+tx more to get the Ridgid with LSA.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11618 posts
6807 upvotes
Paris
Maverick45 wrote: Ryobi fanboy here but I still feel like it's worth spending the $129+tx more to get the Ridgid with LSA.
Ex-TTI employee here… Benchtop corded it’s probably not unless you are running a production shop. Very few warranty claims on the benchtop corded stuff. Of course you could be the unlucky one, but 45% more is a lot.

Edited to say benchtop corded. 10 million warranty claims on things like corded grinders as they were frequently bought by oil field guys.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11618 posts
6807 upvotes
Paris
Jerico wrote: Ex-TTI employee here… Benchtop corded it’s probably not unless you are running a production shop. Very few warranty claims on the benchtop corded stuff. Of course you could be the unlucky one, but 45% more is a lot.

Edited to say benchtop corded. 10 million warranty claims on things like corded grinders as they were frequently bought by oil field guys.
To add to this, I have a Ryobi, got my Dad a Ridgid. Both 10+ years old, both work flawlessly (once adjusted which is a pain on any lunchbox planer)
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4182 posts
3277 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Jerico wrote: Ex-TTI employee here… Benchtop corded it’s probably not unless you are running a production shop. Very few warranty claims on the benchtop corded stuff. Of course you could be the unlucky one, but 45% more is a lot.

Yowza. 10 million is crazy.
Feb 26, 2017
31 posts
38 upvotes
The Dewalt DW735 (which is often considered one of the best bench top planers) is down to $659 at Home Depot (regularly $779). You can get an additional 10% off if you price match at Lowe's.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11618 posts
6807 upvotes
Paris
MrFrugal1 wrote: Yowza. 10 million is crazy.
I saw pictures of a pickup truck full of scrap angle grinders 60 days old being dropped off. Not for the first time.
Dec 19, 2007
68 posts
62 upvotes
From woodgears:

"Overall, the DW735 is definitely the better planer, but it isn't necessarily better in every way. The cheap planer, if you can catch it on sale, costs less than half as much as the DeWalt. But it depends on your perspective. If you aren't familiar with planers and are afraid to mess with them, spending more on the DeWalt is the wiser choice. But if you prefer to sharpen the knives (either yourself by or sending them for sharpening), you can save a lot of money on the planer and the knives by going with a cheap planer. However, other cheap planers also use disposable knives — a feature you may or may not prefer. "

DeWalt DW735 thickness planer vs. a cheap one (review)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)