Hot Deals

[Home Depot] RYOBI 18V Cordless 2-Tool Combo Kit - Drill/Driver, Impact Driver, (2) 1.5 Ah Batteries - $128

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2020 3:13 pm
[OP]
Feb 27, 2012
25 posts
4 upvotes
WATERLOO

[Home Depot] RYOBI 18V Cordless 2-Tool Combo Kit - Drill/Driver, Impact Driver, (2) 1.5 Ah Batteries - $128

I just saw this drill/impact driver kit at home depot for $50 off the original price. It comes with (2) 1.5 Ah Batteries.
I know this was 50% off on Black Friday but this is still a good price for a descent Drill/Driver.
33 replies
Jul 17, 2007
415 posts
595 upvotes
Montreal
Legend says there used to be a coupon for 20 percent for ryobi tools.
THE HARDEST THING ABOUT SALES,IS KNOWING WHERE NOT TO WASTE TIME
Apr 13, 2010
139 posts
222 upvotes
These have been $120 with bit set in the past, and occasionally $80 without. Don't buy them at this price unless you need them right now.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
11301 posts
2950 upvotes
Scarberia
i got this two weeks ago with the 20%off code and 5$ newsletter HD ecode...110 all in i think, it won't take off my lugnutz tho! might be YMMV if i can or can't, im using a socket key as well and a 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch hex shank adapter

might work if u use a 4ah battery and NO socket key
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Feb 8, 2006
356 posts
40 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote: i got this two weeks ago with the 20%off code and 5$ newsletter HD ecode...110 all in i think, it won't take off my lugnutz tho! might be YMMV if i can or can't, im using a socket key as well and a 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch hex shank adapter

You night need the wrench. I have the brushless impact drill and it struggled changing tires so I got the wrench when it went on sale
Dec 14, 2010
37 posts
67 upvotes
Ottawa
mikka2017 wrote: it won't take off my lugnutz tho!
It shouldn't either... It's not intended for such a use. You can use a breaker bar to start loosening them and then you can use the driver to facilitate the removal.

Cheers,
I like stuff
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2149 posts
2063 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
mikka2017 wrote: i got this two weeks ago with the 20%off code and 5$ newsletter HD ecode...110 all in i think, it won't take off my lugnutz tho! might be YMMV if i can or can't, im using a socket key as well and a 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch hex shank adapter

This is a drill and impact driver. For lug nuts you want an impact wrench.
Nov 30, 2016
522 posts
580 upvotes
Mississauga
d_henri wrote: It shouldn't either... It's not intended for such a use. You can use a breaker bar to start loosening them and then you can use the driver to facilitate the removal.

Cheers,
You are 100% correct that this Ryobi driver is not designed for removing bolts that require high torque.
I am in the market for power tools and i really don't see a need to have separate impact wrenches and drivers. With clever electronics one tool should be able to deliver mild torque for everyday driving, while still being capable of ramping up to 220ft/lbs to take off stubborn nuts.
I haven't found any yet (this bosch driver maxes out at 150ft/lbs), but at least I know it exists)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2007
9579 posts
791 upvotes
Mississauga
In4mer514 wrote: Legend says there used to be a coupon for 20 percent for ryobi tools.
Is this going to be the running gag the rest of the year and anytime someone posts a ryobi deal will get down voted?

Coupon is gone, get over it
RFD 41-0-0
Ebay 31-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Jul 17, 2007
415 posts
595 upvotes
Montreal
XxXSnake23XxX wrote: Is this going to be the running gag the rest of the year and anytime someone posts a ryobi deal will get down voted?

Lame
THE HARDEST THING ABOUT SALES,IS KNOWING WHERE NOT TO WASTE TIME
Feb 17, 2015
581 posts
721 upvotes
Canada
loosen up snake!
XxXSnake23XxX wrote: Is this going to be the running gag the rest of the year and anytime someone posts a ryobi deal will get down voted?

Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
26937 posts
7244 upvotes
Gangsta101 wrote: You are 100% correct that this Ryobi driver is not designed for removing bolts that require high torque.
I am in the market for power tools and i really don't see a need to have separate impact wrenches and drivers. With clever electronics one tool should be able to deliver mild torque for everyday driving, while still being capable of ramping up to 220ft/lbs to take off stubborn nuts.
I haven't found any yet (this bosch driver maxes out at 150ft/lbs), but at least I know it exists)
What you're failing to understand is that "electronics" can't make power out of thin air. But, 220lb*ft of breaking torque though, that's not much (definitely not "high torque") and lots of impact drivers can get there but that ain't gonna take off "stubborn nuts" much, lol. What you have to decide is if you want to use a driver with a 1/4" hex and use an adapter to a 3/8 or 1/2 square drive to drive sockets, or get a 3/8" or 1/2" impact wrench and then use an adapter that's more expensive and tougher to find, to drive hex bits. You basically have to balance what you want to do more--drive screws or break fasteners.

The Bosch Connected Freak you linked to is probably the best idea if you really want a dual-use tool. It's not as strong but did bust 275lb*ft in this test. The great thing about the Bosch "Freak" design is you don't have any adapters to break apart. Not nearly as strong as the Ridgid Octane R86039, Milwaukee M18 2850 (not in that test but tested separately by same publication at 375ft*ft breaking torque), the Skil 20V, or the Milwaukee M18 Fuel 2853, but it's not bad, you don't have to worry about adapters, and seems like it fits the bill.

However still wouldn't expect a 1/4 hex or 3/8" drive (or both as with the Freak) impact driver/wrench to do the work of a larger tool. As said, "electronics" aren't going to magically make a smaller hammer/tool work as if it were 3x the size and weight. If anything, of the mainstream brands you can pick up at common stores, Milwaukee has the smallest sizes for the most impact. There's also the M12 Stubbys you could get but then you're looking at an adapter to drive 1/4 hex, which is again not ideal. These will get to just about that amount (220lb*ft) of breaking torque, but really I think the Bosch would be better if you have a lot of screws to drive/lots of driver work.

Keep in mind that pretty much any tool that you are looking for here will be brushless. Don't look at these super cheap brushed-tool "deals" and think you're gonna be using an impact from one of them to do any impact wrench work. Not. Gonna. Happen. Brushless though, as mentioned, there's several drivers on the market that can do that kind of busting torque.
Nov 30, 2016
522 posts
580 upvotes
Mississauga
ES_Revenge wrote: The Bosch Connected Freak you linked to is probably the best idea if you really want a dual-use tool. It's not as strong but did bust 275lb*ft in this test. The great thing about the Bosch "Freak" design is you don't have any adapters to break apart. Not nearly as strong as the Ridgid Octane R86039, Milwaukee M18 2850 (not in that test but tested separately by same publication at 375ft*ft breaking torque), the Skil 20V, or the Milwaukee M18 Fuel 2853, but it's not bad, you don't have to worry about adapters, and seems like it fits the bill.

Keep in mind that pretty much any tool that you are looking for here will be brushless.
Yeah i looked in adapters and quickly decided they were a cause for concern. They cause everything to wobble and are possible source of catastrophic failure with higher torque demands.
And yes only a brushless design will do, if nothing else, just to future-proof my toolkit.
The ridgid combo plus impact wrench deal would have been perfect, but I wish the impact wrench was more powerful. Maybe I can return just the wrench and add something extra and get the Octane or Gen5X wrench. Decisions decisions
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
26937 posts
7244 upvotes
Gangsta101 wrote: Yeah i looked in adapters and quickly decided they were a cause for concern. They cause everything to wobble and are possible source of catastrophic failure with higher torque demands.
And yes only a brushless design will do, if nothing else, just to future-proof my toolkit.
The ridgid combo plus impact wrench deal would have been perfect, but I wish the impact wrench was more powerful. Maybe I can return just the wrench and add something extra and get the Octane or Gen5X wrench. Decisions decisions
If you choose the 3/8" impact wrench as the free tool, I'd say it's plenty powerful for what you are looking for. From what I've seen the M12 stubby can only outdo it with a higher-rated battery (i.e M12 XC 6.0Ah) so it's pretty similar to that tool I would say. If anything the weakest link in the subcompact line is the impact driver though you can't separate that out with the return trick because the drill, driver, charger, and batteries are all one item/box. If you need something more powerful than the R87207 (subcompact impact wrench), you will probably need to step up to a real "mid-torque" 1/2" drive impact wrench like the R86011 or the M18 2860. It's a bit of a jump but there's not really much in between.

I don't think brushless really has anything to do with "future proofing" in this case. It has to do with the fact that brushed tools are simply not going to do the job that you're after. That said if you're actually entertaining using more than one tool it doesn't matter as much, but for the additional power and longer battery life...I don't know why anyone bothers with brushed tools. I know they're cheap but the majority of them are crap. I wouldn't even be buying cordless tools at all if it weren't for the fact that both Li-Ion batteries and brushless-motor-performance are both now widely available and relatively affordable. Powerful and usable cordless tools are not exactly exorbitantly priced anymore.

Of course in the end if the tool does what you want it to, that's great and all you need. But personally there's not many brushed-motor tools, of this nature at least, that will perform as well as I want.