Hot Deals

[Home Depot] RYOBI 18V ONE+ 16-inch Mower + Trimmer + Blower + 2 * 4.0Ah Batteries + Charger $398

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2020 9:29 pm
[OP]
May 19, 2019
15 posts
22 upvotes

[Home Depot] RYOBI 18V ONE+ 16-inch Mower + Trimmer + Blower + 2 * 4.0Ah Batteries + Charger $398

Found this deal as my place needs some maintenance, and I have nothing too handy as power tool, so I just bought the this kit!

Though there is no further discount, I still feel this is a good deal?

This works probably better for those who wants to upgrade their tool lineup?

The downside is, the mower will work likely 20-30 minutes, so it is not for a big backyard / lawn...
Last edited by baykingcollege on May 31st, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
103 replies
Jan 12, 2020
7 posts
1 upvote
Is 18v enough for cutting the grass?
Its great that you can reuse the batteries for other tools, so if it works, that would be great!
Feb 19, 2013
129 posts
126 upvotes
I bought this. Sadly, it is not enough for our corner unit town and will be returning it but had no issues when in use. Would recommend for small to medium lawns.
Jul 17, 2008
59 posts
105 upvotes
GTA
For regular grass cutting this works great. If you let the grass get too long it will struggle and you'll have to go slow. I've been using 2ah batteries I got in another kit while I wait for a sale on bigger ones. I can only cut the front or back in one go on a 60'x115' lot, but those small batteries aren't even being fully drained, they're just overheating and thermal protection kicks in for a bit.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7935 posts
4292 upvotes
Kootenays
A 16" mower is tiny. Better have a very small patch to mow. Personally, if I had a piece that small, I'd just use a reel mower.
Jan 24, 2016
40 posts
38 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
jvrizzle wrote: I bought this. Sadly, it is not enough for our corner unit town and will be returning it but had no issues when in use. Would recommend for small to medium lawns.
How much grass do you have? I have about 20x20 in the front and same in back.
Mar 9, 2020
28 posts
35 upvotes
I have this mower and a 50x110 lot. It has no issues cutting front and back with power left on the batteries for the trimmer. I'm sure it's not enough for larger yards without swapping batteries but I've never found it takes me long to do the front or back. The 16 inch is no issue with a lot of this size. You dont need a self propelled riding mower or some 56v ego monster for a 50 foot wide lot lol. This is already overkill for small yards.

The plus side of this over the 40v assuming you aren't trying to cut 1 acre... is that you can then use the batteries with all the power tools as well which is what I do. I got the model with a different trimmer and while it was ok, it wasn't amazing. Not sure about this. Upgraded to a better ryobi string timer with edger that is much more powerful.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6440 posts
2021 upvotes
GTA
Hey OP....on your receipt is there a return value for the blower and string trimmer?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2828 posts
1301 upvotes
West Coast
Zamboni wrote: Hey OP....on your receipt is there a return value for the blower and string trimmer?
Good thinking. Could make this even sweeter
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers
Feb 19, 2013
129 posts
126 upvotes
Zamboni wrote: Hey OP....on your receipt is there a return value for the blower and string trimmer?
FYI all are packed in one box.
Mar 4, 2006
219 posts
76 upvotes
Flucko wrote: Is 18v enough for cutting the grass?
Its great that you can reuse the batteries for other tools, so if it works, that would be great!
This is my second season with this combo and I love it.

I almost returned it because I had let the grass grow and first tried to cut at the default (lowest) setting and it struggled. After setting it higher it worked great and I have never looked back.

I have a single family home with a small lawn in the front and small lawn in the back.

The lightweight of the little 16” is great, and no stink of gas is better. I use 4ah batteries that I had from other tools and I have never run out.

I did just run out of string for the trimmer though. I think it is the weak link in the set - I don’t like the auto feed mechanism as it feeds each time you press the trigger so you use lots of string:
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15473 posts
2152 upvotes

Melts your batteries.
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Aug 15, 2009
746 posts
486 upvotes
Montreal
JAC wrote:

Melts your batteries.
That sums up. Get a 40v for medium yard !
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
2870 posts
3855 upvotes
Langley, BC
jvrizzle wrote: I bought this. Sadly, it is not enough for our corner unit town and will be returning it but had no issues when in use. Would recommend for small to medium lawns.
Must be a huge lot... my 4600 sq ft lot uses 50% of the battery, that's after using the string trimmer and blower.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2005
1111 posts
165 upvotes
North York
I bought this kit last year and it came with a weaker looking blower, but I've found the mower has been working well enough for me. Sure, it bogs and cuts out every now and then while mowing my lawn, but I've been able to cover my medium size yard cutting at a level 3 or 4 (out of 5) with a bit of battery to spare. It managed to go through about half my unruly backyard with the remaining battery power.

The main draw for me with this kit was the 2x 4ah batteries it comes with (that have not melted, btw). I wanted to stay within a single battery ecosystem so my garage is full of the lime green Face With Tears Of Joy