[Home Depot] Ryobi 18V ONE+ 4Ahr Battery Kit - $37 (reg $147) - YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2017 9:57 pm
[OP]
Nov 10, 2003
775 posts
162 upvotes

[Home Depot] Ryobi 18V ONE+ 4Ahr Battery Kit - $37 (reg $147) - YMMV

The Ryobi 4Ahr battery with charger upgrade kit is marked down to $74 for those that are looking for a bigger battery for their Ryobi kits. There was only one left at the Leaside HD and it appears most stores don't have much stock so YMMV.

Update: It appears the price of the kit has now dropped to $36.96 as reported by deals46 (thanks!). For those who picked up the kit at $74, time to get a price adjustment.
Images
  • IMG_0364[1].JPG
Last edited by DC5R on Oct 6th, 2017 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
5924 posts
1644 upvotes
Calgary
its a reasonable deal if you also need the charger, if not you're way better off to grab the 2x 4ah battery packs when they come on sale occasionally for $100
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
3732 posts
681 upvotes
Newbury, ON
which charger is it? I have the Ryobi P118 charger that came part of a string trimmer kit. This P118 charger is junk - it overcharges then kills the battery.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
9533 posts
2257 upvotes
Montreal, QC
rilles wrote: which charger is it? I have the Ryobi P118 charger that came part of a string trimmer kit. This P118 charger is junk - it overcharges then kills the battery.
How is that even possible? The BMS in the pack should just cut it off, unless the cells becomes badly unbalanced and it can't balance out the cells.
It's also possible that it's not the best BMS, I suspect it may slighty over charge certain cells then slowly discharge back to the other cells (bottom balancing from the top?!)

Are you using the basic P102 packs? Tried the Lithium+ P107 perhaps that uses better cells?
This kit comes with the green P117 which charges at higher C rates (30 mins on the small pack..yikes), I would only use it on the 4Ah pack and not the smaller 1.3-1.5Ah packs (unless you're REALLY in a hurry)
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2005
3615 posts
1427 upvotes
Pointe-Claire
The charger is this one that retails for $54.97 : https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.one- ... 21615.html

One of the differences relative to the P118 is that this P117 can check the temperature of the battery and will not charge it if it is either too hot or too cold. The CSR told me that the black P118 is the basic charger that is included with most combo/kits - the P117 is considered to be an upgrade $ . I have both chargers but have not used them long enough to really know any different.
I can't afford to save that much!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
9533 posts
2257 upvotes
Montreal, QC
All the chargers, even the most basic overnight one checks for temperature, basic safety feature (they all have that little 3rd data pin to talk to the BMS)
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
3732 posts
681 upvotes
Newbury, ON
Daijoubu wrote: How is that even possible? The BMS in the pack should just cut it off, unless the cells becomes badly unbalanced and it can't balance out the cells.
It's also possible that it's not the best BMS, I suspect it may slighty over charge certain cells then slowly discharge back to the other cells (bottom balancing from the top?!)

Are you using the basic P102 packs? Tried the Lithium+ P107 perhaps that uses better cells?
This kit comes with the green P117 which charges at higher C rates (30 mins on the small pack..yikes), I would only use it on the 4Ah pack and not the smaller 1.3-1.5Ah packs (unless you're REALLY in a hurry)
It was with the P102 battery, but I'm just assuming it overcharged it. If I forgot to take it out after the light indicated a full charge, about 8 hours later the battery would be dead each time it was left in.
I saw the P118 on Amazon once, lots of similar complaints.
I replaced it with a black'n'decker, it came with a truly mickey mouse charger, but it had no issues with extended times with the battery.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
9533 posts
2257 upvotes
Montreal, QC
AHHH, you mean that once it charges the pack up, it will somehow drain it back down if you left it connected?
Could be a design defect then, Li-ion shouldn't be topped off once charged, should be cut off entirely but it appears that it may put a phantom load on the pack?

If I have time, I'll test both chargers
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
5924 posts
1644 upvotes
Calgary
P102 batteries are notoriously garbage. Most likely the battery's fault. try a different model Battery and i bet it'll work perfect
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3851 posts
1382 upvotes
Montreal
rilles wrote: It was with the P102 battery, but I'm just assuming it overcharged it. If I forgot to take it out after the light indicated a full charge, about 8 hours later the battery would be dead each time it was left in.
I saw the P118 on Amazon once, lots of similar complaints.
I replaced it with a black'n'decker, it came with a truly mickey mouse charger, but it had no issues with extended times with the battery.
That's definitely not normal for these. Sounds like a defective charger.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2005
3615 posts
1427 upvotes
Pointe-Claire
Went to the local store today to look for one of these Upgrade Kits. Had to ask someone to check their inventory system - showed that all Montreal area stores were OOS or phantom stock. Neutral Face

YMMV but if you were lucky enough to get one of these kits for $74, you might want to go back to find out about a price adjustment... in-store system showed a price of $36.96 Astonished Face Astonished Face Yes, it was for the same kit (P1864 - shows as $147 on their website).

Good luck!
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
3732 posts
681 upvotes
Newbury, ON
Daijoubu wrote: AHHH, you mean that once it charges the pack up, it will somehow drain it back down if you left it connected?
Could be a design defect then, Li-ion shouldn't be topped off once charged, should be cut off entirely but it appears that it may put a phantom load on the pack?

If I have time, I'll test both chargers
No, kills the battery as in unusable. I sent 2 batteries through warranty, then sent the charger through warranty. The 3rd battery self destructed with the new charger but past warranty so I tossed it all for a different brand.
Not a one off or a bad batch, something poorly designed. Ryobi warranty period is actually pretty good compared to other cheap brands at 3 years.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
5924 posts
1644 upvotes
Calgary
rilles wrote: No, kills the battery as in unusable. I sent 2 batteries through warranty, then sent the charger through warranty. The 3rd battery self destructed with the new charger but past warranty so I tossed it all for a different brand.
Not a one off or a bad batch, something poorly designed. Ryobi warranty period is actually pretty good compared to other cheap brands at 3 years.
its the p102 batteries, which are bundled with pretty much everything, they are trash... its well known.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
1731 posts
763 upvotes
Scarborough
i was looking into the Ryobi batteries awhile ago and they recommend you to charge the batteries every 6 months whether you use them or not. just a reminder for people who have these batteries. i know i just leave them for an extended period of time..
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2005
3615 posts
1427 upvotes
Pointe-Claire
Yes, there seems to be varied opinions about the P102 1.3Ah batteries. I have had mine for about a year+ and fortunately they have been fine. I have heard from contractors that really like these batteries and have had no problems at all. Of course, the opposite case exists also. I just hope that mine will continue to work well for at least a couple of years...Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Back on topic, the battery included in this deal is a P108 4Ah battery. The regular retail price just for the battery alone is way more than the current $36.96 price for this Kit (both the battery and charger)! Fantastic deal IMHO if you can actually find one...