Home Depot

RYOBI 18V ONE+ AirStrike 16-Gauge Cordless Finish Nailer $149 YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2022 6:28 pm
Nov 17, 2014
292 posts
176 upvotes
Toronto
Can anyone report what the minimum required AH battery would be for this? I'm debating if I should buy a 1.5AH, 2.0AH, or 4.0AH battery for this. I like the idea of the 1.5 or 2.0 due to the weight but don't want it dying after 100 nails or worse, not having enough power to drive the nails fully in.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2011
1595 posts
1006 upvotes
Toronto
TriftyTings wrote: Can anyone report what the minimum required AH battery would be for this? I'm debating if I should buy a 1.5AH, 2.0AH, or 4.0AH battery for this. I like the idea of the 1.5 or 2.0 due to the weight but don't want it dying after 100 nails or worse, not having enough power to drive the nails fully in.
go w/ a 4ah battery, i believe the nailer is made to pair best w/ 4ah battery size.

when i insert my 1.5ah battery, the nailer wouldn't stand. but when i insert a 4ah, the tool would stand up-right no problem.....OCD problems....
Apr 28, 2013
164 posts
39 upvotes
Brampton
Has anyone had issues operating the nailer, right out of the box for first time use I'm having issues.It loads up to fire but nothing actually comes out, I have two fully charged batteries, tried different settings,no jams and tried different nails and only works when it wants to.any thoughts?
Aug 17, 2008
442 posts
217 upvotes
Just grabbed a hidden, tucked away box at Newmarket location :)

Now.. To decide whether to keep it or just rent one for a couple of days..
Nov 18, 2008
778 posts
333 upvotes
Toronto
Will be returning my brand new in box to aurora homedepot today.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
2266 posts
1103 upvotes
Ontario
hextrose wrote: Just grabbed a hidden, tucked away box at Newmarket location :)

Now.. To decide whether to keep it or just rent one for a couple of days..
Wouldn't it cost over $100 for 2-day rental? You may be better off selling it on Kijiji after your project.
Currently happy customer with Telus and Freedom Mobile
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1265 posts
264 upvotes
Medicine Hat and SW …
unleashedponie wrote: Has anyone had issues operating the nailer, right out of the box for first time use I'm having issues.It loads up to fire but nothing actually comes out, I have two fully charged batteries, tried different settings,no jams and tried different nails and only works when it wants to.any thoughts?
Sounds like a similar issue to what I have with the Ryobi 18g finish nailer and have had for many years. It only fires brads when it feels like doing so. It's not at all related to battery size or charge. Tried every adjustment When it acts up, I just have to keep test firing into scrap until it eventually does fire. After that it's usually good for a while. It's still a very useful tool.
Apr 28, 2013
164 posts
39 upvotes
Brampton
Ctrl-Z wrote: Sounds like a similar issue to what I have with the Ryobi 18g finish nailer and have had for many years. It only fires brads when it feels like doing so. It's not at all related to battery size or charge. Tried every adjustment When it acts up, I just have to keep test firing into scrap until it eventually does fire. After that it's usually good for a while. It's still a very useful tool.
Thanks for the response,I read a couple comments on Reddit, it seems like it doesn't like cold garage and that was the problem in my case.My garage gets really cold in the winter to the point where water bottles freeze.i brought the gun inside for 10 mins to warm up and fired right up so tested it out further and brought it back to the garage and 10 mins later didn't want to fire,did this 5 different times and ruled out that the cold was the problem.realized also the batteries won't charge either in the cold
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2017
1452 posts
2895 upvotes
unleashedponie wrote: Thanks for the response,I read a couple comments on Reddit, it seems like it doesn't like cold garage and that was the problem in my case.My garage gets really cold in the winter to the point where water bottles freeze.i brought the gun inside for 10 mins to warm up and fired right up so tested it out further and brought it back to the garage and 10 mins later didn't want to fire,did this 5 different times and ruled out that the cold was the problem.realized also the batteries won't charge either in the cold
Tools and batteries are no good out in the cold. You diminish the lifespan as well by leaving its outside. It’s recommended to store them indoors if you live in a place that has cold winters.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1265 posts
264 upvotes
Medicine Hat and SW …
Canadiansinner wrote: Tools and batteries are no good out in the cold. You diminish the lifespan as well by leaving its outside. It’s recommended to store them indoors if you live in a place that has cold winters.
I don't follow this advice. For one thing, cold temperatures are good for batteries. They will last longer than they would in warmer temperatures. It's excessive heat that will irrevocably damage them. In very cold temperatures, batteries should generally be warmed gradually before using. As long as they contain an appropriate level of charge , storage of most Lithium-Ion batteries in the cold shouldn't be a concern. There are however exceptions to this as noted in owner manuals.

As for the tools, well there is nothing in the material of a tool that cold should negatively affect. If they contain oil or lubricant, then they should probably be warmed up before using.

I have many cordless tools and batteries that I store in unheated farm buildings and use in cold temperatures, it would be impossible not to do so. Makita, Milwaukee, Ryobi, Rigid, Kobalt and others. In many years of doing so, I've never seen any failures that could be associated with cold temperatures. Battery run-time in the cold will take a hit but they are not damaged.
Actualy charging of batteries should certainly be done in a reasonably warm environment though.
Nov 10, 2003
738 posts
344 upvotes
BC, Canada
samguan wrote: Took this picture just now.

I’m a Dewalt guy when it comes to 20v and Milwaukee for 12V but I do like Ryobi as well.

The adapter is lightweight and good quality and works really well!! It allows me to buy a tool from another brand that either Dewalt lacks or it’s too expensive for my infrequent use.

Beware you can destroy your dewalt batteries with these adapters. You have no low voltage cutoff

Ryobi/ridgid put low voltage protection in the batteries
DeWalt put it in the tools
Therefor when using DeWalt batts on Ryobi you have no protection circuit.
If you were to leave your glue gun on it will drop the lithium cells below a recoverable voltage
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4669 posts
1940 upvotes
WFH
Loto_Bak wrote: Beware you can destroy your dewalt batteries with these adapters. You have no low voltage cutoff...
Oh I didn't realize that. It seems like a bad design choice to save a few cents on components and a tiny bit of space.
Oct 29, 2006
917 posts
632 upvotes
Loto_Bak wrote: Beware you can destroy your dewalt batteries with these adapters. You have no low voltage cutoff

Ryobi/ridgid put low voltage protection in the batteries
DeWalt put it in the tools
Therefor when using DeWalt batts on Ryobi you have no protection circuit.
If you were to leave your glue gun on it will drop the lithium cells below a recoverable voltage
I think the same is true for Milwaukee. The lack of low voltage cut off in the battery. Does anyone know for sure?