Home Depot

Ryobi 18V One+ brushless HP hammer drill or impact driver w/bat+chrgr - $79

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2022 1:38 pm
Jun 12, 2018
575 posts
595 upvotes
Ontario
blueangel2323 wrote: Am I the only one having trouble getting the bits out of Milwaukee's case? There's not much surface area to grip on a drill bit.
elfion wrote: titanium? hehe, same. but what helps is if you pull up the insert in a vertical position with the case sitting on the table.
That hex shank shockwave milwaukee bit set is awesome but yes bits are snug. Didn't realize the holders pivoted - thanks! Makes it easier to loosen up the slots. May just pickup a second set
Oct 17, 2010
84 posts
119 upvotes
Niagara Falls
razrsharp wrote: I could use a cordless hammer drill, and been wanting to buy into the Ryobi system (neat stuff). But, am I the only one concerned the hammer drill doesn't have the 2nd hand support grip? To me, without it, looks wimpy.
Wimpy or not will really depend on your usage. This hammer drill will fill the occasional home use very well. Perfect say for installing a wireless camera or hanging flower pots outside the house. Anymore frequent heavy duty use will likely be better suited for the higher tier Ryobi HP Hammer Drill, which DOES come with a side handle attachment.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31659 posts
12966 upvotes
razrsharp wrote: I could use a cordless hammer drill, and been wanting to buy into the Ryobi system (neat stuff). But, am I the only one concerned the hammer drill doesn't have the 2nd hand support grip? To me, without it, looks wimpy.
That's because it's the compact hammer drill! Been mentioned a few times here by myself and others I believe.

What you want is the PBLHM101B, which has the handle and is more powerful (nearly double) and what some would consider the "true" HP hammer drill. However the PBLHM101B is not on sale, at least not at a price like this.
Aug 25, 2011
330 posts
358 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Picked up my online order last night. Yes, it's much smaller and lighter than my current Craftsman hammer drill. Will see if it can work with 1.5A battery today (I'll bring 4A battery with me as well just in case)
Jul 11, 2017
786 posts
934 upvotes
eforblue wrote: How do you get free shipping on this item?
They try to charge me almost $10 to ship this item.

No idea, I just added to cart and pad for it.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
3084 posts
2101 upvotes
RuffRydas wrote: Wimpy or not will really depend on your usage. This hammer drill will fill the occasional home use very well. Perfect say for installing a wireless camera or hanging flower pots outside the house. Anymore frequent heavy duty use will likely be better suited for the higher tier Ryobi HP Hammer Drill, which DOES come with a side handle attachment.
Ok thanks I'll pass then, my main use would be drilling through rough granite at the cottage for dock anchors and such. I do already have an old-school Bosch (German made) hammer drill, but it can be quite the pain to run 200'+ of extension to reach in some spots.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1519 posts
988 upvotes
razrsharp wrote: Ok thanks I'll pass then, my main use would be drilling through rough granite at the cottage for dock anchors and such. I do already have an old-school Bosch (German made) hammer drill, but it can be quite the pain to run 200'+ of extension to reach in some spots.
You need this https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryobi- ... 1001599490
Not on sale
Jul 6, 2020
4 posts
3 upvotes
was looking to these brushless tools before
got both as my very first set of tools
thanks OP
Sep 10, 2009
197 posts
70 upvotes
elfion wrote: help me understand, how is it not useful? what is not useful is using a massive 4Ah battery on a driver that you want to carry around and get into tight spots. 1.5Ah is perfect for a drill/driver, unless you are doing some intense work like drilling 100 holes or putting in 1000 screws all at once.
what do you mean tight spots?

If you end up doing DIY to any capacity, you will end up with unused batteries lower than 2ah. That's why you should opt for 4ah at a minimum. If you plan to just have the tool and never use it, sure 1.5 is fine.

1000 screws? try putting in 10-15 3" deck screws with 1.5ah. It'll be struggling already. And the batteries won't be helpful with your later tools that need more power. put it in a circular saw? it'll start binding after a couple cuts.
Aug 25, 2011
330 posts
358 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
mtran66 wrote:
try putting in 10-15 3" deck screws with 1.5ah. It'll be struggling already.
You are right. I had to use a 4 Ah battery to pump Kayak. It needed a break every couple of seconds when using a 1.5Ah battery.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1519 posts
988 upvotes
mtran66 wrote: what do you mean tight spots?
I don't know, just tight spots. for example I need to get in between joists in the basement ceilling to install some wire mounts, stuff like that. I put a 1.5Ah battery in, I put the driver on my belt, I hold the mount, reach for the driver, put a screw in. I don't want the 4Ah battery pulling down my pants.
mtran66 wrote: If you end up doing DIY to any capacity, you will end up with unused batteries lower than 2ah. That's why you should opt for 4ah at a minimum. If you plan to just have the tool and never use it, sure 1.5 is fine.
all I have for milwaukee is 1.5Ah batteries and I am fine. it's only a problem for high consumption tools like vacuum cleaner, circular saw, portable LED light, SDS drill. for those I have Ryobi with 4Ah batteries. and certainly my Ryobi 1.5Ah batteries are also used all the time.

mtran66 wrote: try putting in 10-15 3" deck screws with 1.5ah. It'll be struggling already.
no it won't. I do that all the time. I literally have never had an issue with this with the exception of when I had to fasten all cement boards in the kitchen, which is when I went through 2-3 1.5Ah batteries. again, for rare ocasions like this no one is saying you can't use a higher capacity battery.

mtran66 wrote: put it in a circular saw? it'll start binding after a couple cuts.
what kind of two cuts are you talking about? I can certainly cut more than 2 two-by-fours with a 1.5Ah battery. yes, generally if you are cutting lots of plywood, 1.5Ah on a saw will suck, same some other devices I lised above. but not drivers.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1519 posts
988 upvotes
bullbell wrote: You are right. I had to use a 4 Ah battery to pump Kayak. It needed a break every couple of seconds when using a 1.5Ah battery.
I am not familuar wiht the tool you were using but 1.5Ah battery is enough to pump up 4 car tires after they sit in storage for a season. and he is certainly not right about 10 3" screws being a problem. again, 1.5Ah is not enough for EVERYTHING. but it is certainly mostly enough for drills and drivers.
Aug 25, 2011
330 posts
358 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
elfion wrote: I am not familuar wiht the tool you were using but 1.5Ah battery is enough to pump up 4 car tires after they sit in storage for a season. and he is certainly not right about 10 3" screws being a problem. again, 1.5Ah is not enough for EVERYTHING. but it is certainly mostly enough for drills and drivers.
I was using Ryobi 18V Inflator to pump this Intex Explorer K2 kayak.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31659 posts
12966 upvotes
elfion wrote: I don't know, just tight spots. for example I need to get in between joists in the basement ceilling to install some wire mounts, stuff like that. I put a 1.5Ah battery in, I put the driver on my belt, I hold the mount, reach for the driver, put a screw in. I don't want the 4Ah battery pulling down my pants.
I think we should all agree that there are situations where a smaller, lighter battery could be advantageous. Not dissimilar to how an M12 XC sometimes isn't the battery you want in your M12 tool. For decreasing size/weight the smaller batteries might be desired. For the power/performance of the tool though, most certainly not. For that you will need at least a 4Ah battery (or of course the 3Ah HP with the 21700s in it).

I think the other argument against the 1.5 in particular will be [ I believe ] the 2.0 is basically the same size and very similar in weight, which means it's quite clear they've "cheaped out" on the batteries in these kits. They could have at least given 2.0s. In US likely would get a 2.0 HP in something like this. But we're not in US so them's the breaks. But anyway they are SB kits sold at a pretty discount so I still don't get why people are complaining this much. $79 people!!!

No they aren't the bestest batteries evar for tool performance, clearly not. Guys you can get the following batteries deals all day everyday rn at HD:
1 x 9.0 HP for $118
2 x 9.0 HP for $199
2 x 4.0 HP (latest gen) for $129

Those are pretty great prices if you want better batteries. Yes they cost more than this entire kit. Them's. The. Breaks. The kit is cheap, it's what gets you to buy more stuff like those^ nice batteries. There's also some clearances on the older HP batts (3.0, 6.0) to be found in some stores--YMMV.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1519 posts
988 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: I think we should all agree that there are situations where a smaller, lighter battery could be advantageous. Not dissimilar to how an M12 XC sometimes isn't the battery you want in your M12 tool. For decreasing size/weight the smaller batteries might be desired. For the power/performance of the tool though, most certainly not. For that you will need at least a 4Ah battery (or of course the 3Ah HP with the 21700s in it).

I think the other argument against the 1.5 in particular will be [ I believe ] the 2.0 is basically the same size and very similar in weight, which means it's quite clear they've "cheaped out" on the batteries in these kits. They could have at least given 2.0s. In US likely would get a 2.0 HP in something like this. But we're not in US so them's the breaks. But anyway they are SB kits sold at a pretty discount so I still don't get why people are complaining this much. $79 people!!!

No they aren't the bestest batteries evar for tool performance, clearly not. Guys you can get the following batteries deals all day everyday rn at HD:
1 x 9.0 HP for $118
2 x 9.0 HP for $199

Those are pretty great prices if you want better batteries. Yes they cost more than this entire kit. Them's. The. Breaks. The kit is cheap, it's what gets you to buy more stuff like those^ nice batteries. There's also some clearances on the older HP batts (3.0, 6.0) to be found in some stores--YMMV.
You are spot on. But all I wanted to highlight is that 1.5Ah batteries are not useless. I rebuilt an entire floor in a house with just 1.5Ah batteries before I had any higher capacity ones. And before that I did another huge project with them. And only recently when I took a project for which I got a portable light and an SDS hammer I finally decided it's time to get a bigger battery, so until then it didn't even bother me.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1269 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: I think we should all agree that there are situations where a smaller, lighter battery could be advantageous. Not dissimilar to how an M12 XC sometimes isn't the battery you want in your M12 tool. For decreasing size/weight the smaller batteries might be desired. For the power/performance of the tool though, most certainly not. For that you will need at least a 4Ah battery (or of course the 3Ah HP with the 21700s in it).

1 x 9.0 HP for $118
2 x 9.0 HP for $199

Most of DeWalt's kits come with only 1.3Ah batteries. But I think that's because DeWalt uses the max voltage (20V) instead of the nominal 18V that other companies use, and 1.3Ah at 20V which works out to be the same total capacity as 1.5Ah at 18V?

The $149 clearance deal on the Ridgid kit this summer was so amazing though, and makes good deals like this look like not-so-good deals. That worked out to be under $75 per tool, both of which were both way more powerful than these ones, and each with a big 4Ah battery instead of tiny 1.5Ah ones. Heck, the regular price of the two batteries alone is $148, making the tools virtually free.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2012
1706 posts
1830 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
blueangel2323 wrote: Most of DeWalt's kits come with only 1.3Ah batteries. But I think that's because DeWalt uses the max voltage (20V) instead of the nominal 18V that other companies use, and 1.3Ah at 20V which works out to be the same total capacity as 1.5Ah at 18V?
The "max voltage" is purely marketing; Ryobi also has a 1.3Ah battery, the P102.
Aug 25, 2011
330 posts
358 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
I drilled 8 holes for #6 anchor on concrete and 2 holes on dry wall with 1.5 Ah battery last night. It used one bar. Very light and not that loud. I'm quite happy with it. Will keep my corded hammer drill for bigger project and use this one for #4 & #6 anchors.
Jul 30, 2021
11 posts
1 upvote
Thanks OP.

Can someone recommend good drilling bits that go well with this hammer drill for 1) Stud/Drywall 2)Concrete 3)Ceramic ? Ryobi or other brands ?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)