Ryobi 18V One+ brushless HP hammer drill or impact driver w/bat+chrgr - $79

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2022 1:38 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2009
2605 posts
1695 upvotes
Durham
i got a spare set of both at $79 each and tax. if anyone wants at cost in Whitby, give me a PM

otherwise i will just return
Dec 8, 2012
5 posts
1 upvote
NPT
Hello

I picked up my order from Home Depot and on the bag it says I got a free upgrade. It seems that they were out of the kit and in the bag I found the following:
  • RYOBI 18V ONE+ Cordless 1/2-inch Hammer Drill/Driver with Handle, Model # P214
  • RYOBI 18V ONE+ Lithium-Ion 2.0 Ah Compact Battery and Charger Starter Kit, Model # PSK005
I am getting into the Ryobi system and don't know if I got a good value for this instead of the Posted deal.
I would appreciate any thoughts about value, performance, use case of the free upgrade instead of the posted Deal.
Thank you
Jan 29, 2012
13 posts
4 upvotes
They cancelled my order. Trying for the Rigid one. I just want to hang some pictures on concrete walls and this is cheaper than hiring a handyman
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2017
1450 posts
2893 upvotes
tonyno wrote: Hello

I picked up my order from Home Depot and on the bag it says I got a free upgrade. It seems that they were out of the kit and in the bag I found the following:
  • RYOBI 18V ONE+ Cordless 1/2-inch Hammer Drill/Driver with Handle, Model # P214
  • RYOBI 18V ONE+ Lithium-Ion 2.0 Ah Compact Battery and Charger Starter Kit, Model # PSK005
I am getting into the Ryobi system and don't know if I got a good value for this instead of the Posted deal.
I would appreciate any thoughts about value, performance, use case of the free upgrade instead of the posted Deal.
Thank you
You got a more powerful hammer drill (600lbs of torque vs the 400lbs of the one in the "deal") However its brushed not brushless.

Considering the hammer drill is $70 right now for the one they gave you...i'd say its an even trade.

You also got a 2ah battery vs the 1.5ah that came with the kit...not a huge upgrade but its better than nothing.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1772 posts
1285 upvotes
Seems like they are clearing out the stock with the 1.5Ah batteries. Still a good deal, though, specially if you have 2Ah and 4Ah batteries already.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1514 posts
986 upvotes
Gr8irlbot wrote: Seems like they are clearing out the stock with the 1.5Ah batteries. Still a good deal, though, specially if you have 2Ah and 4Ah batteries already.
I have a couple of 4Ah batteries but I am not planning on using them with these two tools.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31582 posts
12865 upvotes
blueangel2323 wrote: Most of DeWalt's kits come with only 1.3Ah batteries. But I think that's because DeWalt uses the max voltage (20V) instead of the nominal 18V that other companies use, and 1.3Ah at 20V which works out to be the same total capacity as 1.5Ah at 18V?
Nah they are all "max 20V"--all the 18V batteries. Some companies tend to use the "20V" marketing and some stick with saying 18V, Ryobi actually does both. For ONE+ they say it's 18V, but for their "40V" line they say, well, 40V. But really it's 36V (basically double the cells as an 18V battery, put in series). All just marketing. It's about nominal voltage v. peak/float voltage. If you simply measure any of these tool batteries, fully charged and in resting state will be close to 20V.
blueangel2323 wrote: The $149 clearance deal on the Ridgid kit this summer was so amazing though, and makes good deals like this look like not-so-good deals. That worked out to be under $75 per tool, both of which were both way more powerful than these ones, and each with a big 4Ah battery instead of tiny 1.5Ah ones. Heck, the regular price of the two batteries alone is $148, making the tools virtually free.
Indeed. Reminds me I have to sell some of my 4Ah batteries. Have too many of them that are just going to sit around.

I also finally got a hold of a new 3.0 Octane battery :) It wasn't exactly cheap but probably the best price to be found nowadays... Late 2019 build, but them's the breaks when they discontinue this stuff.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2012
1020 posts
657 upvotes
Toronto
ldiamond wrote: They cancelled my order. Trying for the Rigid one. I just want to hang some pictures on concrete walls and this is cheaper than hiring a handyman
They cancelled my store curbside order. Then I ordered online and ship to store. Now it is ready to pick up.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1514 posts
986 upvotes
So just like I was saying from the very beginning, this was a price error.. they fixed it now in some locations and they now have non-HP tools for sale for $79
Aug 30, 2018
511 posts
236 upvotes
Brampton
I got a ready to pick up email. But a couple of hours later they just cancelled it anyways
Sep 14, 2020
58 posts
74 upvotes
elfion wrote: So just like I was saying from the very beginning, this was a price error.. they fixed it now in some locations and they now have non-HP tools for sale for $79
I don't think this is a price error. Ottawa store has more drills and drivers in stock for $79 (was out of stock last week).
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4562 posts
1642 upvotes
Edmonton Strathcona have alot of $79 impact driver kits. On a side note, their 1/2 impact wrench is $115.
Last edited by coilz on Dec 18th, 2021 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1514 posts
986 upvotes
apvij91 wrote: I don't think this is a price error. Ottawa store has more drills and drivers in stock for $79 (was out of stock last week).
but which model? I checked the article number on the large poster today and it was not the HP model. I didn't think to check that last week.
Dec 27, 2007
845 posts
591 upvotes
trex wrote: The Ridgid hammer drill with battery & charger kit is also on special buy for $ 79.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ridgid ... ?rrec=true
are these two comparable?

I use my 5 years old Dewalt 12v max to drill few holes on the stone today, took a long time. Thinking to get one hammer drill.

If these two are on par, I’d prefer Rigid which has lifetime warranty.
elfion wrote:
Huge difference.. all HP tools I tried are at par with Milwaukee. Professional grade stuff.
Which Milwaukee are you comparing with? I looked at their M18 Fuel spec, it blows away of any of these. How does compare with M12 Fuel?

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/milwau ... 1001529745
Sep 14, 2020
58 posts
74 upvotes
elfion wrote: but which model? I checked the article number on the large poster today and it was not the HP model. I didn't think to check that last week.
It was HP. They also had brushed models for $79 or something (don't know why lol)
Dec 10, 2012
497 posts
215 upvotes
GTA
So the consensus is that i should get the hammer drill first and then get the driver if i want to spend more? Just getting something as a just in case. Doing light diys only. Been borrowing neighbours drill in most cases.
May 6, 2020
658 posts
498 upvotes
Halifax
Are these any good for changing tires? Sorry I completely don't have any knowledge about these. Thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4562 posts
1642 upvotes
Innovac wrote: Are these any good for changing tires? Sorry I completely don't have any knowledge about these. Thanks
You'd probably want an impact wrench if possible for changing tires. Check out this thread for the Ryobi impact wrench deal: home-depot-ryobi-p261-impact-wrench-65- ... 5-2509148/

Impact driver might work, but it won't be the best tool for the job.
Nov 30, 2006
643 posts
289 upvotes
Toronto
Will the hammer drill take basic screwdriver bits to use for ikea assembly?