Expired Hot Deals

[Home Depot] RYOBI 18V ONE+ Lithium-Ion Cordless Combo Kit (9-Tool) with (2) Batteries $298

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 7th, 2020 1:45 pm
[OP]
Dec 7, 2018
38 posts
31 upvotes
winnipeg

[Home Depot] RYOBI 18V ONE+ Lithium-Ion Cordless Combo Kit (9-Tool) with (2) Batteries $298

I cant find if this is actually a sale, but it appears to be a good price for a large kit. I was only looking for a cheap string trimmer and now i'm into 8 extra tools.

This kit includes a drill/driver, an impact driver, a reciprocating saw, a circular saw, a multi-tool, a work light, a 1/4 sheet sander, a hand vacuum, a string trimmer, two 2.0 Ah batteries, an 18V charger.
25 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
2710 posts
3617 upvotes
Langley, BC
Hmmm their website shows that it’s a brushless recip saw. Good deal if it was. But maybe wrong picture.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
9049 posts
1909 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Brushless maybe but thats the cost cutting revision, the previous brushless had a beefier built but its sold out everywhere so maybe discontinued, I lucked out and found a brand new unit on Kijiji for $100

Price is alright, I prefer the "desktop" charger compared to this cheaper one with a wall wart.

$20 Drill
$30 impact
$40 Reciprocating saw
$40 Circular saw
$40 Oscillating tool
$20 vacuum
$10 flashlight
$50 trimmer
$20 charger
$30 sander
$60 2x2Ah battery
$10 bag
$370 total, you could part out on Kijiji for sure and make a small profit or end up with free tools.
Apr 21, 2012
332 posts
468 upvotes
Ontario
So cheap compared to Dewalt...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
5613 posts
2437 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Daijoubu wrote: Brushless maybe but thats the cost cutting revision, the previous brushless had a beefier built but its sold out everywhere so maybe discontinued, I lucked out and found a brand new unit on Kijiji for $100

Price is alright, I prefer the "desktop" charger compared to this cheaper one with a wall wart.

$20 Drill
$30 impact
$40 Reciprocating saw
$40 Circular saw
$40 Oscillating tool
$20 vacuum
$10 flashlight
$50 trimmer
$20 charger
$30 sander
$60 2x2Ah battery
$10 bag
$370 total, you could part out on Kijiji for sure and make a small profit or end up with free tools.
I am sure you can sell these for more. You can get at least $50 for impact driver for one.
mobbie wrote: So cheap compared to Dewalt...
pcloadletter wrote: You get what you pay for.
Dewalt is low end tools as well. Poor quality.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Jan 30, 2010
251 posts
152 upvotes
Mississauga
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Dewalt is low end tools as well. Poor quality.
I have first hand experience with both DeWalt and Ryobi in an industrial setting. For the average DIYer, Ryobi will be just fine. Just saying that DeWalt is better quality. Ryobi also has a great ecosystem of tools so it's a no-brainer for the average Joe.
Jan 24, 2013
387 posts
1611 upvotes
MILTON
i thought this is the regular price.
Feb 7, 2007
146 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
theflyingsquirrel wrote: I am sure you can sell these for more. You can get at least $50 for impact driver for one.

Dewalt is low end tools as well. Poor quality.
DeWalt has some of the best tools in some classes.

They make great tools.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
5613 posts
2437 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
DudebuD wrote: DeWalt has some of the best tools in some classes.

They make great tools.
They probably have some good tools in some classes, but definitely not the cheap hobbyist class.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2170 posts
2086 upvotes
Vancouver
Ryobi's spec page for the kit: https://www.ryobitools.com/power-tools/ ... -combo-kit

It's a reasonable price, but keep in mind that there are several cheap "filler" tools in the 9-tool combo, as with most lotsa-tool combos. These are the cheapest low-end tools in the Ryobi product line, which is generally aimed at light-duty home handyman use rather than pro heavy-duty use. Not brushless motors, so less power and battery life. The minimal 2.0ah batteries are too small for the saws.

If you want pro quality, wait for a sale on Milwaukee. These days all the tools are made by a few big companies that own several brand names. Often cheap quality and expensive quality are made in the same factories and sold as different brand names owned by the same company. But there is still a difference.
Aug 22, 2007
66 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
theflyingsquirrel wrote: They probably have some good tools in some classes, but definitely not the cheap hobbyist class.
In terms of power tool rankings I'd put it something like this from best to worst:

High End Contractor Grade:
* Milwaukee
* Makita
* Bosch
* DeWalt

Lower End Contractor Grade / High End Consumer:
* Rigid
* Porter Cable
* Ryobi
* Husky

Lower End Consumer Grade:
* Skil
* Black & Decker
* Craftsman
* Mastercraft

That being said I would personally wait for the high end contractor grade stuff to go on sale, but that's just because my general experience with tools has been that buying the expensive ones has almost always been worth it if you can afford the upfront cost. Good tools will last for 10, 20 + years and will let you do a better job, faster, than cheap ones. Ryobi is basically right on the line for me in terms of whether or not it's worth the investment for the quality you're getting. I'd certainly go with Ryobi for some tools but I don't know if I'd go with them for my primary drill / driver / circular saw which imho are the most core tools for most projects.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
1685 posts
1230 upvotes
Montreal
DudebuD wrote: DeWalt has some of the best tools in some classes.

They make great tools.
Hold on.

DeWalt has different categories of grade. They have the high end tool (XR, etc) and they have low end (cheap tool).
Jan 30, 2010
251 posts
152 upvotes
Mississauga
Penguin Warlord wrote: In terms of power tool rankings I'd put it something like this from best to worst:

* Milwaukee
* Makita
* Bosch
* DeWalt

* Rigid
* Porter Cable
* Ryobi
* Husky

* Skil
* Black & Decker
* Craftsman
* Mastercraft
I would change it to the following:

* Makita
* Bosch
* DeWalt
* Milwaukee

* Rigid
* Porter Cable
* Ryobi
* Husky

* Craftsman
* Skil
* Mastercraft
* Black & Decker
Jan 4, 2013
485 posts
167 upvotes
If anyone is a new homeowner and needs just basic tools and never really plans on doing renos really I would say buy this 100%. Great little starter/homeowner set. I just want the cicular saw for that rare time I actually use it and the vacuum so the price tag isn't worth it to me lol