Expired Hot Deals

[Home Depot] RYOBI 18V ONE+ Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill/Driver and Impact Driver Combo Kit (2-Tool) with (2) Batteries - $98

Jan 24, 2007
800 posts
135 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
My neighbour bought this last year when it was on sale for around 89 and when I was helping him install an exterior door, I got to try it, it is good for occasional use at best. I have a dewalt set which I picked around 160 some times back and it is a very big difference in quality, handling and power. This is good deal if you are already invested in ryobi tools and could use extra charger, otherwise look into at least ridgid or higher.
Mar 4, 2006
198 posts
51 upvotes
Not sure why everyone is giving the bum’s rush to these tools.

Construction is not my day job but I likely do more DIY than the vast majority of the general population and have these and think they are fantastic for the price. Is it the most power driver out there? Nope. But it doesn’t struggle at all driving 4” #12 screws? I mixed a whole whack of drywall and thinset with the drill without any issues.

I also have the brushless hammer drill and ya, that thing is quite beastly and for the same price I’d recommend it but as far as I’m concerned these are great little tools at a great price and the Ryobi 18V system itself is great. Having the same batteries in your lawn mower, weed eater, brad nailer, drill and driver is great.

If you aren’t in the trades then save yourself some cash and buy the Ryobi. Short of Festool and maybe some others all the cordless stuff is Made in the very similar overseas factories and often use the same battery parts inside.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
3465 posts
855 upvotes
Ottawa
mattisgrat wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 9:15 am
Not sure why everyone is giving the bum’s rush to these tools....
Tool snobbery. For the typical homeowner and moderate to heavy diy user the Ryobi One+ tools offer the best bang for the buck. I've been using them for almost 20 years.
Jan 7, 2006
351 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
dirtmover wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 12:29 pm
Tool snobbery. For the typical homeowner and moderate to heavy diy user the Ryobi One+ tools offer the best bang for the buck. I've been using them for almost 20 years.
I replaced my old Makita drill from the 12v era plus a bunch of Craftsman (Sears) corded/cordless tools and MasterCraft 14v (circular saw/sawzall, work lights) with Ryobi brushless. Was on the fence between Rigid/Ryobi/Milwaukee/DeWalt and went with Ryobi because of the better promo at the time and huge tool universe.

Not to mention any 18v Ryobi battery will work for the forseable future. I've been burned on batteries going obsolete and paying more for old stock/3rd party.

So far so good, built a shed from scratch (not a plastic kit), shelving, some basement framing and suspension work on the car. No complaints here.
Oct 31, 2018
41 posts
86 upvotes
4330 Adelaide St Tor…
Another good deal, if the drill is hammer drill will be perfect. I have this 18v drill, it works fine.
Lehmann L
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2491 posts
1338 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
ds2chan wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 3:31 pm
I always see contractors using them in real life and on TV. That's why I said people can argue about other brands too. Everybody has their preference and opinions. It's always going to be heated debate. I don't think there's any one perfect brand so people are probably just going to buy into an ecosystem.

I personally don't have any experience with Dewalt or Makita so I can't comment on them. Maybe it's all just good marketing on their end?
The best bang for your buck is this Ridgid set for $188 Ridgid 18V set
This is a much better value in the long run, since the tool is essentially warranted for life, and you get free replacement batteries FOREVER.
You do need to register your Ridgid tools for the Lifetime Service Agreement, otherwise it defaults to three years.

There's nothing wrong with the Ryobi. It's made, just like Milwaukee and Ridgid, by the same parent company, which is TTI.
What will get you in the long run with any cordless tool is battery replacements.

Let me tell you a story.

In 2003 I bought a Ridgid set similar to the one I linked, only it was a 14.4V instead of 18V. This was the highest voltage available at the time. Last summer, the drill/driver just stopped working. I took it into the authorised service centre here in town, and was told parts were no longer available. Because of this, Ridgid sent me a brand new 18V brushless drill/driver kit with two batteries, a charger and bag. I then registered the new kit for the LSA.
I've also had many batteries replaced over the years, absolutely free.

People can argue until they blue in the face whether yellow, red, green or orange is better, but for sheer value, Ridgid wins hands down.
For anyone who is going to now crap on this by saying Ridgid didn't honour their LSA, it's because you are lazy, disorganised, can't read, or a combination thereof.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1315 posts
136 upvotes
Lévis
L4cky wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 1:56 pm
milwaukee, bosch, better brands than ryobi. Even dewalkt is slightly better?
ds2chan wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 2:40 pm

I don't know if you're telling us or asking us which are better.

I'm no contractor and am far from knowledgeable but I always thought that Dewalt and Makita were 2 of the top brands. I'm sure people can argue about Bosch and some other brands too. Ryobi always seemed like tools for people who don't use them too often and are not contractors. Just DIY people who do the odd stuff at home. Ryobi seemed reliable enough for me and I only use the tools once in a while. I'm sure there are a ton of other people in my shoes and are perfectly happy with Ryobi. Also, I bought their leaf blower and grass trimmer a while ago which use the same batteries so that was a bonus.
Kevin711 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 12:45 pm
I replaced my old Makita drill from the 12v era plus a bunch of Craftsman (Sears) corded/cordless tools and MasterCraft 14v (circular saw/sawzall, work lights) with Ryobi brushless. Was on the fence between Rigid/Ryobi/Milwaukee/DeWalt and went with Ryobi because of the better promo at the time and huge tool universe.

Not to mention any 18v Ryobi battery will work for the forseable future. I've been burned on batteries going obsolete and paying more for old stock/3rd party.

So far so good, built a shed from scratch (not a plastic kit), shelving, some basement framing and suspension work on the car. No complaints here.
This

I recently throw away an old professional grade bettery drill that was lightly used because dewalt wasn't making the battery anymore. And the battery, and the charger. Not ecolomical at all.
Pourquoi pas?
Nov 22, 2012
993 posts
848 upvotes
MARKHAM
SPARTACVS wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 2:39 pm
This

I recently throw away an old professional grade bettery drill that was lightly used because dewalt wasn't making the battery anymore. And the battery, and the charger. Not ecolomical at all.
Ehh... You do realize that Dewalt makes an adapter for 18V line for 20V max batteries?
RFD Score:
Koodo $40/6GB PM migration plan;
Public Mobile $8 50/50 limited talk/text plan;
3GB LTE data monthly plan $15 - Fido;
Self-propelled gas mower $120 - Sears;
2-stage snowblower $399 - Lowes;
Iphone 6s outright $22 - Koodo.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
20745 posts
6778 upvotes
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 1:41 pm
This is a much better value in the long run, since the tool is essentially warranted for life, and you get free replacement batteries FOREVER.
I so wish I would have known this years ago when I bought my first drill.
Now I'm so entrenched into Ryobi it doesn't make sense to jump ship at this point.
May 22, 2007
416 posts
129 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 1:41 pm
The best bang for your buck is this Ridgid set for $188 Ridgid 18V set
You do need to register your Ridgid tools for the Lifetime Service Agreement, otherwise it defaults to three years.

There's nothing wrong with the Ryobi. It's made, just like Milwaukee and Ridgid, by the same parent company, which is TTI.
What will get you in the long run with any cordless tool is battery replacements.

Let me tell you a story.

In 2003 I bought a Ridgid set similar to the one I linked, only it was a 14.4V instead of 18V. This was the highest voltage available at the time. Last summer, the drill/driver just stopped working. I took it into the authorised service centre here in town, and was told parts were no longer available. Because of this, Ridgid sent me a brand new 18V brushless drill/driver kit with two batteries, a charger and bag. I then registered the new kit for the LSA.
I've also had many batteries replaced over the years, absolutely free.

People can argue until they blue in the face whether yellow, red, green or orange is better, but for sheer value, Ridgid wins hands down.
For anyone who is going to now crap on this by saying Ridgid didn't honour their LSA, it's because you are lazy, disorganised, can't read, or a combination thereof.
Similar experience - I have a ryobi set, a dewalt 18v, a bosch 18 v and a rigid 18v and best by far is the rigid - I have owned it for 12 years and in that time have had the batteries replaced twice, tool is good as new again....I will never buy anything else.

The ryobi is excellent for the price, but if you need to replace the batteries just once, your savings are gone compared to the rigid.
Dec 12, 2018
26 posts
43 upvotes
Properly maintained Li-ion batteries should last a long time. Don’t store fully charged or fully depleted. Best to store at around 40% (half charge is fine) and you’ll be surprised how long they last.
Aug 27, 2009
743 posts
514 upvotes
Looks like I may switch to Rigid 🤣
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3661 posts
1215 upvotes
Montreal
Kmax1980 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 4:48 pm
Properly maintained Li-ion batteries should last a long time. Don’t store fully charged or fully depleted. Best to store at around 40% (half charge is fine) and you’ll be surprised how long they last.
Agreed. In my case my batteries outlasted the charger, but in searching for DIY fixes I found that Ryobi had recalled my charger. Free replacement, so I'm back in business!
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2491 posts
1338 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Kmax1980 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 4:48 pm
While that may be true, I'm here to tell you that almost no one is going to check their battery status at the end of whatever they are doing before putting the tools away.
Apr 14, 2019
1 posts
As a person who has used and sold tools for some time, these are a phenomenal deal for the home user! I couldn't recommend this for the craftsman / serious DIYer who needs chuck accuracy and sometimes power and I absolutely wouldn't recommend these for construction, builder, shop worker or renovation worker who needs power, a motor that doesn't torque out and a build quality that can handle drops onto concrete or cement.

Yes, there definitely was a slightly better $88 deal last year, but if you're looking for a set to drive a screw into the wall to hang a picture frame, drill into a stud to hang shelves, repair a fence or fix something basic around the house, this is an absolute steal.

If you're a new homeowner or new to a craft, this set is an excellent first set before evaluating if you need a more specific tool.