Expired Hot Deals

[Home Depot] RYOBI 20" 40V Li-Ion Lawn Mower w/ 5Ah Battery & Charger - $298

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 8th, 2019 8:25 pm
Nov 8, 2018
24 posts
65 upvotes
I do not recommend this. I have owned this for 4 years and totally regret buying this over a decent gas mower. If you have a small lawn you may be happy with it but on my 70' x 165' yard it takes up to 4-6 battery charges to complete. It does not have the power to cut through longer grass so if you accidentally let it get an inch longer than you normally do, expect it to choke up and force you to cut at a snails pace and use more batteries. It takes 90 mins to charge a battery so you won't get it done in one go.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2790 posts
765 upvotes
Vancouver
KevinD50465 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 8:31 am
I do not recommend this. I have owned this for 4 years and totally regret buying this over a decent gas mower. If you have a small lawn you may be happy with it but on my 70' x 165' yard it takes up to 4-6 battery charges to complete. It does not have the power to cut through longer grass so if you accidentally let it get an inch longer than you normally do, expect it to choke up and force you to cut at a snails pace and use more batteries. It takes 90 mins to charge a battery so you won't get it done in one go.
It's definitely harder on tall and/or wet grass, but I have about the same size lot and I get front/back done with 2 batteries (wth energy to spare).

Have you increased your cutting height? I typically cut at 3-4 but if I let it go too long it'll choke up on 3. You might have to cut it progressively down. It'll also help with the mulching, if that's what you do.
May 22, 2016
201 posts
81 upvotes
My Black and Decker lasted 10 years. Towards the end of last season, I noticed it was dying much quicker, so this deal is very timely. Plus its brushless, plus its a big battery, and plus I don't have a ton of grass (my entire lot is 60 by 120, and I have enough landscaping too).

joeyjones6 wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 3:30 pm
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryobi- ... 1000858337

Regular: $398
Sale: $298 ($100/25% off)

I missed this sale last year and was waiting for it to come back around. According to last year's post it lasts about an hour on a battery.

Last year's post: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/home-dep ... #p29245221

Replacement Batteries:
2.6 AH: $148 - https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryobi- ... 1000744396
4.0 AH: $178 - https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryobi- ... 1001215025
5.0 AH: $199 - https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryobi- ... 1001053946
May 7, 2012
792 posts
348 upvotes
I would jump on this but my 36V B&D from 2013 is still kicking (50x120 pie) although it's time for a new blade.
Just checked that it cost me $328 tax-in. They gave me a discount for the older model I had (24V?) because of some recall.
If anyone has blade suggestions would appreciate.
Nov 8, 2018
24 posts
65 upvotes
Bishop8 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 9:32 am
It's definitely harder on tall and/or wet grass, but I have about the same size lot and I get front/back done with 2 batteries (wth energy to spare).

Have you increased your cutting height? I typically cut at 3-4 but if I let it go too long it'll choke up on 3. You might have to cut it progressively down. It'll also help with the mulching, if that's what you do.
That is exactly what I am saying. I either have to cut more frequently or take way longer to cut than if I had bought a gas mower. I guess you are happy having to make accommodations to mow your lawn. There is definitely a trade off choosing this over a gas powered mower.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6033 posts
584 upvotes
SW Ontario
The issue of longer grass would probably be solved if they would put a side discharge on these instead of forcing you to mulch. It would make it work a lot less hard and make the batteries last longer. But seems that isn’t an option.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1185 posts
417 upvotes
Vaughan
There is definitely a reduction in power for my Ryobi 40V vs my previous Craftsman gas mower. I generally mow once per week with the Ryobi and have no problems with my lawn. It struggles a bit in wet grass and thick weed, but that's electric for you. I don't have to add or change oil, and I no longer keep a jerry can of gasoline in my shed. I no longer own a 2 stroke trimmer, and get by just fine with my Ryobi battery powered trimmer (although it is weaker). Farewell 2-stroke engine oil and a special mixing container (I don't miss em)! I was leary about switching to battery powered, but now I can't imagine going back to small combustion engines. I definitely think the 20" Ryobi was a solid upgrade over the original 16" from a few years back on multiple levels. I even sold my 2 year old Ryobi 40V 16" on kijiji with a battery and charger for $250 which I thought was great given I got the 20" brand new for $300+HST.

Mic
# D4HK
# FreeSpavor&KovrigNow
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11979 posts
282 upvotes
I have this unit - HD sold me one with 2x4A batteries, each of which is able to do the front and back of my small Mississauga lawn. I bought the 40v blower that came with the low profile 2A battery as well, so I have decent backups floating around. When my 18V trimmer dies, I'll get the 40v version as well.

I am REALLY happy with the performance of the mower. It weighs half as much as my older, more power Craftsman, meaning no one cares if it's not self-propelled. It leaves fewer tracks due to weight as well, and cuts extremely well, although as others have said, long wet grass can bog it down. It definitely doesn't have the power of a big gas mower.

I've had mine through 2 seasons now, and didn't get any battery letdown in year 2. We'll see about year 3!
Jun 18, 2016
207 posts
453 upvotes
b33f wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 4:34 pm
Yes! This battery powers a mower, not a cell phone, oops.
Doesn't matter what it powers. 5 Ah = 5000 mAh. Your 5000 mAh cell phone battery can also be written as 5 Ah. A better measurement is Wh, which is Voltage * Capacity, so 5 Ah cell phone battery (3.7V) = 18.5 Wh whereas 5 Ah mower battery at 40V is 250 Wh.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2790 posts
765 upvotes
Vancouver
KevinD50465 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 2:13 pm
That is exactly what I am saying. I either have to cut more frequently or take way longer to cut than if I had bought a gas mower. I guess you are happy having to make accommodations to mow your lawn. There is definitely a trade off choosing this over a gas powered mower.
Yes, with the tradeoff of cutting more frequently vs dealing with a gas motor (fuel, oil, spark plugs, maintenance, etc.), I'd definitely err towards battery-power. Besides, it's a good excuse not to mow when it's wet outside. ;-)
Apr 21, 2012
199 posts
243 upvotes
Kitchener
Has anyone tried the dewalt 20V lawn mower? I have so many dewalt batteries and tools I'd prefer to stick with their platform when a sale comes up but not if it's a garbage lawn mower.
Dec 21, 2007
837 posts
385 upvotes
moncton
Was thinking I would buy but the reviews look a little concerning. Hmmmmm....
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6033 posts
584 upvotes
SW Ontario
mobbie wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 8:27 pm
Has anyone tried the dewalt 20V lawn mower? I have so many dewalt batteries and tools I'd prefer to stick with their platform when a sale comes up but not if it's a garbage lawn mower.
Seems well made with a steel deck. Seems to have a lot of power based on what I’ve read. The biggest complaint seems to be run time. But always hard to know as some people don’t even know the battery size they use.

They should ship it with a larger batteries.
Nov 24, 2012
801 posts
574 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
I'm trying to be open-minded, but I'll admit that I fail to see the attraction of a cordless electric mower. Yes, I get that you're not having to manipulate the cord around the yard. That being said, there seem to be a lot of trade-offs - battery life, charging time, battery replacement etc - that a corded electric doesn't have.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3773 posts
1308 upvotes
Montreal
tvisforme wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 10:00 pm
I'm trying to be open-minded, but I'll admit that I fail to see the attraction of a cordless electric mower. Yes, I get that you're not having to manipulate the cord around the yard. That being said, there seem to be a lot of trade-offs - battery life, charging time, battery replacement etc - that a corded electric doesn't have.
How about turning this around ... I fail to see the attraction of a gas mower (and I own one).